What Camcorder/camera do you use?

Tom T

Hi Everyone,

This is meant as a two subject thread, first subject is to find out which camcorders/cameras do you use for filming your model planes (anything) and the other reason is for some advise. I'm looking to buy a HD camcorder for videoing for a new channel (and my existing). I'm looking for one that is not to expensive (15 year old on pocket money here), full HD, zoooooooom and can be edited. Just thought id ask to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers
Tom

PS. was going to buy the s20 (£79) but doesn't zoom on 1080p (serious design fault there.....) haha

Advert

I'm still using my (now rather ancient) Sony TRV20E camcorder. It records onto mini-DV tapes and cost something around £1200 when new about 10 years ago. It plugs into a firewire card on the PC to upload for editing. When I got it I knew it had image-stabilisation but assumed that would be a bit of a gimmick. Wrong! It's proved very useful, especially at the long end of the 10x optical zoom.

I guess I'm going to have to replace it sooner or later, but haven't a clue what with!

Tom

I've been using a Sanyo Xacti (now taken over by Panasonic and a bit more expensive) I also use my Panasonic GF2 camera which has a video mode. My Sanyo is only 720p whereas the GF2 is full HD, but be aware this shoots in AVCHD, great quality but your video editing program might not support it.

The problem with both of them is maintaining focus on the model and also the "view finder" is an LCD screen and in bright light it's very difficult to see the model, but unfortunately now if you want a conventional view finder these are only on the top end camcorders.

If you pm me an e-mail address I can invite you to a dropbox account and put in some examples of the full quality video's,. I have some on vimeo and you tube but the quality is lower once uploaded.

Cheers I was looking at the Toshiba H20, but they all seem to have different faults..
Frank: I will pm you.....
John: That sounds and looks like the one that i use at the moment, it is a good camera but think i will buy a HD something (as long as i find one cheap enough, haha)

Tom

Tom. I'm using the Panasonic HDC-S60 Full HD 1920 x 1080 AVCHD. Its a fantastic little camera but as Frank said above, it has an LCD display screen which is difficult to see in some light conditions. You can see some of my video offerings on the video thread.

Hi David. The Panasonic editing software isn't great, I only use it to upload my videos to, then I use Cyberlink Powerdirector Ultimate for editing, which is very good and quite easy to use. A couple of mates also use Corel Videostudio, which they like. I was using Pinnacle 14 HD but wasn't that happy with it. It was slow, crashed a bit, and there are few title effects.

Microsofts Movie Maker Live on Windows 7 is very good for free software. The only thing I don't like about it is that I have to use a transition between clips otherwise there is a very noticable hesitaion between one clip and the next, and I don't always want to use a transition, or animation as they call it.

Hope this helps.

I have a Panasonic HD movie camera, it is good.
I have a Toshiba, it is not good, the auto focus should be called the auto blur, and it doesn't like bright lights in a dim area (birthday candles come out as purple streaks right down the screen) I have several other cheap ones (round £100) and they are not worth having except when wanting to use one in conditions where they may easily be damaged.

Worth mentioning is that the Lunix TZ10 takes good HD movies, and are available at a good price now the new model has come out. The TZ8 is the same witholut GPS.

They take excellent stills, and very good movies, I often only carry that.

I use the Corel software for editing, I wouldn't touch Pinnacle as a gift, it has been crashing since 2002 that I can remember, and they still haven't fixed it. Premiere is good to.