DofE Build ideas

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing my DofE Bronze award with the Air cadets and I asked whether for my Skills part if I could build a model airplane. They said I could as it is under the technology category. I have either 3 or 6 months to complete this section. But what to build? It needs to be something i can complete within the time zone, easy to build... A kit or plans (not ARTF) and should I put an engine in or make it electric (so it is easier)? Also i'm after something that is reasonably small and won't cost an arm and a leg to build.....

Cheers
Tom

Advert

Free flight is a possibility if money is really tight, they can be a bit fiddly.

Build something like a 'Popsie' , an easy build from a plan or there are kits available. Powered by a chepo lekky motor, or small glow/diesel. I take nothing away from Tony's suggestion but IMHO something of this size is a little bit more robust, both during the build and after.

If you can find a local club, I would go along and introduce yourself. It may be that there are those in the club that have some spare 35meg gear available for not much money.

If you go either free flight or r/c, do try to find someone local to you who is a modeller. Have a source of advice on hand will smooth out many of the difficulties that you will inevitably encounter if you go it entirely alone.

Congratulaions of being an Air Cadet and taking on the DoE award. You are making a great investment in your own future.

stu k

I would suggest something like the 'Swizzle Stick' from RC ModelWorld November 2010 as a freeplan in that issue ( someone must have a copy to spare? )
Very simple design to build , 40 inch span fun fly ( not a first model to fly but a second model ) and it's for a .25 to .30 2 stroke so lots of cheap engines might suit. It's real aeromodelling stuff, built up ailerons and tailplane
.As it's a Peter Miller design you might even get some advice from the designer himself as he is often on here.

I don't mind spending anything up to £60 on kit and then extra for engine and electronics. There is a field outside of squadron i could fly on but it will be mainly for the engineering side of it, take pictures and post on eDofE etc..... I was looking at the guillow models last night, they seem like a good build although i wonder if they are to simply for a DofE course.. they may want something built from just a plan, i will have to find out from the instructor. I will take a look Kc at the 'swizzle stick'. Do you know where i can find details about it?

Stu Knowles: I am already a member at a club, so when i am there next i'll ask. I have a Spektrum TX and RX so i will just put that in.

As I said it's a free plan in RC ModelWorld for Nov 2010 and I would reckon you could find a member of your club who has this copy to lend you ( it's only just over a year old and some people will be throwing this out around now! )
Details of the model are here Swizzle Stick if you need to buy the plan.
It's a bit like most fun fly or stick models but a little smaller and therefore could be converted to low cost electric. Simple box shape not pretty but not too ugly. Very little balsa is needed considering the size of model, and very little hardware is needed so it's going to be cheap.

Edited By kc on 08/02/2012 14:29:33

Cheers KC i will take a look. I'm wondering though whether it should be something to do with the RAF... spitfire or something along those lines, i'm not sure but i will certainly put it with my *take a pick* list

Cheers
Tom

Swizzle Stick is dead simple and dead quick to build. It is very slightly less manoeuverable than the all out American Fun Fly models.

It will not take much punishment but as has been said, it is quick and cheap to build.

You might also like to look at Harlequin in the new RCM&E. Again, quick and easy to build. Not as hairy to fly by a long chalk. Can be flown on a cooking .35 such as an old OS 35 FP

One of my favorite models, The only time it flies straight and level is when it is inverted.

I do agree with you Peter, it looks fairly easy to build, quite cheap but I wonder if it should be a warbird or civilian plane. Does the Swizzle stick have a balsa kit? I was also considering one of the Guillow kits but I think they will be to simple for DofE. Does anyone know any good plan+balsa+vac kits that are either civilian or warbird, not to expensive (although i'm not to worried about the price now, as i can fly it at the field after DofE)

Cheers
Tom

Swizzle stick is available as a plan for £10 odd and thge pack or precut parts is £41.

Considering that that there are very few parts to mark out and cut and the wood cost is probaly about £20 Why bother.

Also, if you are doing this for a badge don't you think that marking out and cutting the parts is going to get you more marks than just assembling a set of parts?

Unless you are an experienced builder or an exceptional new builder you won't build a decent Spitfire or scale model in 3 or 6 months.  But you could expect to produce a decent sports model in the time even with little experience.
Building from plans rather than a kit should carry more kudos. Cost of the balsa & ply I estimated is needed for a Swizzle Stick ( being most economical ) is just about 25 pounds plus postage at Balsa Cabin or SLEC prices. ( it's amazing its that high) Doubtless cost more at some shops too.
Covering material is also needed and an u/c, some horns etc

Cost of plans is very high, it's much cheaper to try and buy a back issue of the magazine from Traplet as it's quite recent, if you cannot borrow a copy. But the Harlequin from the latest RCME due out in a couple of days may prove better.

Edited By kc on 08/02/2012 20:50:40

Its not to pricey then, i will take a look. I agree with you, I have been watching a few builds on YouTube and as you say going for something like a Spitfire would be to much of a step for me on a second build. I will take a good look at the Swizzle Stick!

Cheers guys this has helped alot!

Tom

Sorry, i've side tracked again haha, do you know if the piper cub would be an alright build? If so do you know if it has a wood pack, i can't seem to find one though.

Cheers
Tom

Edited By Tom T on 08/02/2012 21:32:22

Hi Tom...If you can't find anyone with a copy of the Swizzle stick plan try RC Model World for a back issue (cheaper than the plan!).Failing that search for Marcs Magazines on ebay..He has a pretty extensive stock and doesn't charge silly prices.

Hope this helps

Andrew

I said the Gamine and the swizzle stick and they are still very much in favor but what about the Monocoupe 40" from Replikit? HERE Anyone have any experience with this plane? Also I can't seem to find an Order button, could it be because of the Auction? does that mean I can't buy for the time being?

Cheers
Tom

Thats a nice plane BEB, theres so many good suggestions I will have to pull out of a hat haha, I will look for ten and then put them in a hat pull out three and then do it again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be different here. If it's a simple plane, then download one of the plans of the old Frog kits here and build it (all you'll need is a modelling knife, some balsa and wire (plastic props can be a problem tho). You should be able to knock up one for under a fiver (including all the rubber, wire, etc)

http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk/

Guillow's kits? From anything I've read their balsa tends to be on the heavy and hard side

It's not radio but it's fun

Thanks Daithi, although it looks like a great build I wonder if it'll fit in the category, I think they will be a bit tight on what they except. I feel bad for saying i dunno if that will work to alot but I'm trying to get the perfect one, so DofE can't say "not good enough try again", sorry. I was looking at the Monocoupe 40 from replikits.... seems like a nice build, what do you think http://www.replikit.com/replikit2010/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=125&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=570&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Ps. Back from skiing in Italy for a week, ready to get building again :D

Tom