Durafly EDF Vampire

Seamus O'Leprosy

Sounds good to me Roger and i think i said i've gone for the Chunge Sun 10 bladed fan unit this time around as they are even quieter that the alloy fan units which is a big plus,i've also got an RC Lander alloy 68mm 3575kv motor on a 4s set-up coming as i want to try and put a CS 10 bladed fan in it and see how that goes but thats will be going in another model.

I've just got to put the wings on my Vampire tonight and add some 0.5oz cloth and poly-c to the bottom of the fuse then i should be good to go,i'll also be hand launching my kit too thats why i'm adding the glassing to the underneath,i know it might not need it but it's a bit rough over at my field at the moment and this will help it out.

Edited By Startazz No1 on 21/02/2012 16:33:27

Magoo,

It all depends on the customs invoice that's attached to Hong Kong deliveries - if it comes out under £15 then they just deliver - if it's over £15 the Royal Snail will hit you with 17.5% import duty plus another tenner 'handling charge'

Stugff that comes in from the EU doesn't get hit (which is probably why items in the Hamburg warehouse cost more (on paper) than the same item from Hong Kong - the import duty has already been paid (to the German customs)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 21/02/2012 17:50:53

Some of you are going to throw up your hands in horror at this idea but....

I've looked at the airframe only version of this and as its so cheap thought about buying one and setting it up as a pusher prop jet. has anyone done it? I have a suitable motor and speed controller and have thought about it a couple of times.

Anyone who has one think that it could be done?

I was thinking a 2212/06 with a 6x4 mounted in the jet pipe with a 30A ESV and a 2200Mah 3 cell lipo. The weight should be a bit lower than spec with this setup, and no retracts. I reckon it would be plenty of ommph - what do people reckon as something cheap thats a bit different?

Graham C. I think your idea of a pusher is a good one. I did this with a Hunter. For your info the distance between booms on the Durafly Vampire is 10 inches. I found that using a folding prop saved props and motor mounts when landing. Don't have the blades too loose or they can flop about and cause damage.You won't get the same speed with a pusher as with EDF but the Vampire is not a speed machine and I think, will be just great. Good luck

Pal of mine was flying his HK Vampire last weekend, when I was up country at my old flying site in Worcestershire.

I must say, I was impressed with the flying qualities and couldn't believe it whe he told me the price..............£71 !

He was using 4s 2600mAh Gens Ace packs in it and the performance was astounding.

Absolute bargain!!

Third and fourth flights last weekend, still no problems with hand launch even in calm conditions, my settings now at ailerons 10mm. down 13mm.up - elevators 10mm up and down. Centre of gravity quite sensitive to small movements mine is now at 290mm back from the nose, which is very stable. Still think this is a nice handling model much better than most cheap foamies, my club friends love it.

Now that would look good flying around the 15 Acres....

I know the man who would do the decals for that....

http://maxdecals.com/

And before people go trying to order from HK, seems like there are still delays; when you log onto the Live Support, the following appears:

Due to a sharp increase in the number of orders received, order processing time has been affected and the dispatch time of your order may be slightly delayed. Rest assure that warehouse staffs are currently processing orders at top speed and putting in extra hours so that your orders can be dispatched in the shortest time possible. Please kindly note that due to the large amount of enquiry, it may take longer than usual for our agents to answer your chat. We thank you for your patience and understanding in regards to this matter.

Edited By Goose10 on 27/02/2012 23:16:17

• 3 weeks later...

Found a problem with my Vampire - after a dozen flights I noticed that one tail boom was cracked. Cut a groove under each boom and fitted a 2mm.carbon rod each side fixed with 5 Min epoxy. Two more good flights this afternoon possible flexing of booms now sorted. Managed to launch with left hand with TX in right hand - so do not need help to fly anymore !!

• 3 months later...
Posted by Colin Bernard on 22/02/2012 12:33:52:

Definately interested in one of these - and have heard (!) that a higher fan count gives a better sound.so am also looking at the Chunge Sun 10 blader - but I cannot find any references, reviews or suppliers via Google.

Does anyone have a link ?

Hi Colin,not sure if you got your CS ten bladed fan unit yet mate,i got mine from another site in Hong Kong but Hobbyking sells them now anyway and have been for a while now mate,which is the same if not the exact same one as the CS one.

**LINK**

Thanks for that Startazz.

Not having too much luck with mine. One the first flight I did one circuit OK then went to bring it in for a low pass, and it seemed to lose elevator authority coming out of the turn so it carried on into the ground.

Second flight went OK for the first half of the flight, then I thought I had better do some practice landings as I had read warnings about the extended glide - so allowed an approach from some distance only to find the glide was a non-event so it had a heavier than expected landing that snapped a boom. (Got some CF for the booms now.)

And then my thrid attempt last week in calm conditions saw it take off apparently OK, but was extremely unstable in the roll plane. No idea why, but time to get the glue out again!

Not going to be defeated though - the second flight showed me just how good it looks and sounds in the air.

Maybe a new body and that fan... !!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 27/06/2012 16:04:36

• 1 month later...

My son Robert snapped up one of the first Vampires from Hobbyking UK. Assembly was a breeze, and it had its first flight last week. It flies beautifully, lifting off ok from short/medium grass, and giving around 5-minute flights on a Gens-Ace 2250 4S. Plenty of power - we measured 47A, over 700W at WOT. Has now completed half a dozen or so flights with no issues so far. If my "Hangar" wasn't full I'd have ordered one, too. We'll just have to use my Starmax Panther for our "Vintage Pair" sessions!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2012 23:21:29

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/07/2012 09:40:49

Hi Trevor,

Nice Photos and I am glad to hear it flies so well. I bought the ARF version so fitted my own servos etc. A bit like an airfix kit except I thought I would try UH Por adhesive for a change. I must have had a rush of blood to the head as it was a big mistake, glue everywhere! I will stick to Cyno in future. I decided to omit the retracts as my strip has quite long grass and I felt they would only add weight.

I havn't maidened mine yet but I am looking forward to it as all the reports are very positive.

Piers

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/07/2012 09:41:00

• 2 weeks later...

Test run club members new HK (Durafly Vampire - what a beauty to look at) Fan disintegrated on first run no sign of FOD (foreign object damage). All servo cables were intact and had been tied down in cockpit. Awaiting response from Hobbyking. Anyone else had any problems?

• 3 weeks later...

Paying for returning the postage does NOT contravene the distance selling anything.

Using it before sending it back does.

The distance selling agreement is for you to decide on

receiving the product if it's what you want, not warranties etc.