Alex Whittaker's Widget

Alex's multi-tool (March issue) looks really, really useful. I'd love to have one but I can't make one myself because I don't have a lathe. (Or the brains to work one).

So what chance he could rustle up some drawings and have a batch of say, 200, made by someone with a small CNC machine? I would certainly buy one.

Best wishes

Advert

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 10/02/2012 20:39:53:
I'm sure that there are many people on here besides me who have the necessary and could make one.
I'll give it a go if you are not in too much of a hurry. It's very cold in my workshop at present and I have several other projects on the go which have to be finished first.

Malcolm
Yes please Malcom - if you have the time when it's a bit warmer. Obviously non one wants to make lots of these on an manual lathe one at a time, but it strikes me as ideal for a small CNC machine that could convert a length of hex bar into lots of 'em in a couple of hours.

Best wishes

In the article was an offer from Ian Warhurst at MINY Model Products 01457 764051.
Why don't you read the article through .
For me, it's just another small thing to fall into the bottomless pit that is my flightbox, never to return 

Edited By John Gibbs on 11/02/2012 09:52:26

Alan its a winky w*nkey widget made on a winky w*nkey machine that filled about four pages of the mag!!!!!!!
Now unless you have a winky w*nkey machine or your mate has a winky w*nkey or some multinational tool manufacturer with a massive winky w*nkey machines sees the mag has an emergency boardroom meeting and allocates one of its winky w*nkey machines to 24/7 production of the Whittaker Widget, your going to have to use a pliers.

Alternatively, just contact the person mentiioned in my article, Ian Warhurst, so that Nick can make you one. Not 200.That was the whole,point. Also, if you study the article you will see that you can file up the Stowaway by hand, and tap the holes by hand. Any old shed drill will put a hole in ally. If, like me, if you hate fitting M2 threaded stuff, you will never look back.
Alex Whittaker

Posted by John Gibbs on 11/02/2012 09:50:56:
In the article was an offer from Ian Warhurst at MINY Model Products 01457 764051.
Why don't you read the article through .
For me, it's just another small thing to fall into the bottomless pit that is my flightbox, never to return .

Edited By John Gibbs on 11/02/2012 09:52:26

Oops - sorry, I missed that.

Regards

Posted by Alex Whittaker on 11/02/2012 10:38:29:
Alternatively, just contact the person mentiioned in my article, Ian Warhurst, so that Nick can make you one. Not 200.That was the whole,point. Also, if you study the article you will see that you can file up the Stowaway by hand, and tap the holes by hand. Any old shed drill will put a hole in ally. If, like me, if you hate fitting M2 threaded stuff, you will never look back.
Alex Whittaker

Sorry Alex, I missed the bit about how to order one.

Unfortunately, not being a model engineer I don't have any alloy hex bar hanging about from which I could cut a lump. And I doubt is my local supplier would sell me just 3in.

I was thinking that if you had a batch run up on a CNC machine you would probably find a ready market for them - via your website perhaps? And a M3 version wouldn't go amiss either - IMHO.

Regards

love to know what this bloomin widget is, as for 2mm tap, love to tap something that big,

we dont use cut taps, except for bottoming threads, we use roll taps, these bully the metal into a thread, i tap, in 316 stainless, 2mm at 900rpm--by hand, using my fingers as sensors in a special small chuck i made just for this purpose

• 3 weeks later...

I find the easiest way to drive threaded rod home is simply enter the rod in a matching nut and use a nut driver to screw the nut and rod home. It only takes a twist or two to lock the nut and rod in the driver. A set of nut drivers for 2 mm and up only costs about £6 in Maplin and they saved me buying a myford lathe. A saving of several pounds but then I don,t fly I/c

• 2 years later...

I suggest Old Warden 26 & 27th Sept - always a super event but low key and of course the Museum is worth visiting too. Modelair are the organisers ( Ken Shepherd recently editor of Model Flyer runs it) England is a small place and nowhere is more than a days drive away! Old Warden is near Biggleswade right in the middle of England. However to actually fly RC at most events you need BMFA membership insurance and an A or B certificate. The B cert is required at Old Warden.  Free flight & control line dont seem to need any certificate though. But there will be plenty to do just as a spectator.  Right next door are the Swiss Gardens for any non aeromodellers in your party.

There is an events page at the top of this page, but it is incomplete ( early in the year still) so more may be added later. One that is missing is the Southern Model Show at Headcorn on 12 &13 Sept but that is in Kent.

Edited By kc on 28/02/2015 12:02:29