make shift runway?

Alex Gibbs

hi guys,
I've spotted a new field recently and have been flying there for a few weeks..

its really open and an awesome place to fly, but the only thing is that it is very bumpy there

so my question is, is it possible to make a runway? if so, how?

thanks for suggestions :D

gibbo

Advert

I haven't had permission no, but I'm approaching the farmer soon, I was thinking something that I can lay down when I get there and roll up/fold up and put in a bush when I go, what would I roll with though?

Also,the field is out of the way,just behind a housing site with about 20 houses on, I'm sure there would be no objections

Thanks guys

Hi Alex,

I got a length of nylon conveyor belt from Rowntrees in York years ago. It was about four feet wide and about fifty feet long. I used this to some good effect for a while but is needed to be well pegged down, wasn't terribly easy always to keep on it during take off, and I never managed to land back on it

If you're prepared to collect it, it's yours for the taking. PM me if interested.

Malcolm

Something you can roll up and put in a bush when you go?

How big do you want it?

Take that size and think what material would be light enough to roll up, and rigid enough to level out the bumps and support the wheel tracks.

Short of highly tensioned kevlar, I can't think of anything, and I think buying the farm would be better value.

Even if you could mow it, it may have the wrong grass to give a nice surface for flying, small lumps would have to be rolled, and bigger areas of uneven surface would need bigger machines, or many months hard work with people and shovels

If I were you I'd spend the money on a model you can hand launch, and don't worry about ROG (Roll off ground).

I have 2 sites I fly at our club site and a friendly farmers field, the farmers field is 2 mins down the road, (the club field is 5mins), its good for a quick fix, without the hours spent just chatting.

Andy

Posted by Alex Gibbs on 11/02/2012 18:38:46:

I haven't had permission

Also,the field is out of the way,just behind a housing site with about 20 houses on, I'm sure there would be no objections

Thanks guys

Errr, famous last words and all that.

A 20 plot housing estate nearby! - PLEASE keep the noise down on those Sunday mornings or youre sure to find one of them will complain right enough.

Farmers can be funny so and so's. We live on a farm or more acurately in a house down a gravel lane, the lane belongs to the farm.

When we bought the place I meet the farmer and asked if I could fly off a corner of one of his fields, he asked how i would like it if he came and did his hobby in my garden, and walked off.

We've not spoken since.

Andy

Count your luck you have somewhere nearby to fly, and stick to electric. With the houses nearby you will lose it all flying IC, as was stated, there WILL be someone who complains.

And get permission, even if you know it is OK, just to be a gentleman. It pay to do things the right way in the long run.

well i own my own fly site and live out in the sticks so firstly,,
the smoothe grass runway isnt easy to do..i had to get a plough to break the ground up and then thin out the soil (break up the lumps of mud)..then i had to put a huge roller over it lots of times until it was flat and firm..

i will have to do this a few times a year as i have stuff growing wich needs to be harvested then turned over.not a simple job if the land has a use..

i fly an rc glider so i can launch from "anywhere" but the whole landing strip goes to waste when there is cross winds and i cant land on it..

the only way id have the perfect strip is for it to be 100m square but life just isnt that simple..

although the perk to gliders are launching and landing as they can still land on bumpy ground..

also,,if you are flying near peoples houses then insurance is a must but im sure that being so close to houses will cause you endless problems

so my advice is to get an rc powered glider and find somewhere out the way where you can fly until your batteries go dead or the tea flask is on empty

ricky

ps..
i must also add that the problem of owning large land and letting someone on it can lead to other people turning up (mates,passers by,other flyers ect)...when people pass by and see someone on the field,it draws others in at other times for other reasons..
ive only ever had one guy ask if he can shoot on my land but had to refuse (the reason being that i shoot there and dont want "strangers" randomly walkin/driving on my land..

Even if the Farmer is OK,the 20 houses will cause issues... Insurance would be a must, if there is the possibility of crashing into a roof.. !! Even if it's just to keep them happy..

RE-Flattening it, as above... I live on a farm, and use the 'Horses' field to fly from, complete with strip.. (The ONE horse, leaves me alone)

I've dragged the victorian hand roller over it a dozen times, but it really needs the tractor sized roller to make a difference.. I think asking if this could be used, would be pushing my luck, so just live with the bumps...

I've mown a cricket pitch size strip, but as Ricky said, if theres a crosswind, I have to pick another bit of field to land on.. A full Triangular affair, again, might be considered taking the micky... !!

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Interesting this
We have a farm - 38 acres of it well away from anything except Dalby forest that was on TV the other night with Richard Wilson doing a drive from Scarborough to Whitby in a Morris Minor .I digress ,but regarding keeping a field or two flat you need at least 30 sheep (soon to be 60 or more ) three goats (soon to be four or five) and a load of mole pellets and finally a tractor with a heavy roller attachment for when the snow has gone .Fingers crossed ,I'll have a free flying site up and running by May ! Workshops and storage facilities as well .The N Yorks footpath runs straight through our fields so no problems for access .Make a change having Modellers around instead of Anoracks .Proper free range eggs ,spring water ,fishing as well !

luckily i dont have foot paths or sheep (not nice landing a plane in sheep poo ) ..was also thinking of designating a section of field to local flyers and have a barn or large greenhouse that could be used for flyers..the greenhouse is empty and alreday has shelving and work tops (barns ok but dark,even with the doors open..
i think it would be easy for me to do once ive leveled and flattened..it would then just be the mowing on a regular basis...if you look at my youtube videos,you can see the flight site..its on the top of a valley so realy good for gliding..

i think im going to give it alot of thought and maybe start something ??

im on southeast coast kent and east sussex border right near rye..been having a look today and its more than possible to dedicate a bit of my land as a fly site..and i think the greenhouse (6x10 meters) would make a good club house..would be very easy to run electric into for extra heating,kettle,fridge and chargers ect..the only issue would be that parking would have to be up at the house,but the site is only a minute walk..people could park down there in the summer but not during the bad weather (cars would have to go across my main lawn to get to the gate to drive doen into fly site)..im sure i could sort something tho..
where abouts are you alex ??

ricky

ahh gutting im in south wales, near cardiff...

id love to have someplace like you near by, your idea sounds really awesome ricky :D you should make a blog on your progressions and pictures, id love to see how it comes along :D
maybe even visit you one day :P