Be honest, do you set the fail safe?

Advert

I fly mainly electric models of the “no built in stability” kind (no dihedral, nearly symmetrical aerofoils etc) That means I need an autopilot if the radio link goes down as there will be no graceful glide in crying 2

However, I do make sure that if the transmitter is switched off, the esc turns the motor off & servos are neutral. The idea is to keep any dramatic end within the flying field!

I also stick with “wind safe” i.e. try to keep the model up wind so that any incidents stay in sight & in range.

Of course this is a long way of saying “take all precautions possible to keep mishaps on the flying field”. Fail safe is one of them but I think modeller’s common sense & good safety habits are the keys to safety from failures devil

Happy flying

Mark

Sorry for the typo, you are right, I did mean that, thanks embarrassed

I seem to have spent more time with 35mph electric cars than aeroplanes recently. We discovered that "end of run" low battery voltage was leading to a glitchy steering servo and a car that wanted to throw itself against a concrete wall at 35mph. Yes, cars are about split seconds; give me some altitude & a few seconds more to play with smiley

Mark

• 10 months later...

Hi all

At my club its compulsery to use failsafe, dueto the fact that we are almost yards from an airfield,

it at least stops an aerplane from going for miles if there is a signal failure and however the co ntrols are set I suppose the idea is to get the model down safely and as quick as is possible.

as far as legallity is concerned be it true or not it is in the interests of modellors and keeping our sites to use it.

Some of the Spektrum and/or compatible RX's I use have failsafe and some don't.

I always re-bind the RX after all settings been done on a model and then re-bind again after maiden flight after setting a degree or two of rudder to hopefully induce a slow gracefull circle.

I've lost signal a few times over the years and the above gives me a chance to reconnect before the mid-air with terra firma occurs.

Skippy

Failsafe

Hmmm No such thing in my opinion -nothing is !.I think I have it on my gear ,but I also trust myself not to rely on a "failsafe device" when I'm capable of flying within my battery capacity limitations whether they are are electric or ic powered A/C . I do use a multimeter as one of my best accident preventative tools and has worked for me since day one .I suppose soon we.ll have a gizzmo to tell you whether the failsafe mechanism is working or not -Ad Infinitum!

Simon

Boom boom ! Nice one BUT I have never wanted to try that nor have I ever needed to By the way ,my Futaba 6EX hasn't even got a built in timer which if it had might fail as well .I wear a 60 yr old Longines watch .Now,I trust that !!wink 2

Myron YO13 Digital non -conformist dept

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 28/01/2013 21:37:07

• 1 month later...

No need when flying electric. What happens if you lose your plane for a while in the ground ? ( with the failsafe set) Your motor will keep running until the battery is flat and you would probably require a new motor after . The prop will just keep on turning digging a hole.

Posted by Bob H on 09/03/2013 20:18:26:

No need when flying electric. What happens if you lose your plane for a while in the ground ? ( with the failsafe set) Your motor will keep running until the battery is flat and you would probably require a new motor after . The prop will just keep on turning digging a hole.

Sounds perfect. A perfect way to start a fire if you are using Lipos

Posted by Bob H on 09/03/2013 20:18:26:

I don't follow, that sounds like an argument FOR fail-safe. I certainly don't want the motor running if the model's out of control.