Oh cheer, Spring's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Well March starting next week was this week and the larks were ascending at the patch on Friday, so its officially spring. A couple of us made it out and for the 30 seconds that the sun came out it was quiet nice. Anyway lets wish for a better season then last year and may all your landings greasers.

Edited By Seamus O'Leprosy on 25/02/2012 22:15:31

Advert

Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 25/02/2012 22:03:38:

Well the vernal equinox was this week and the larks were ascending at the patch on Friday, so its officially spring. A couple of us made it out and for the 30 seconds that the sun came out it was quiet nice. Anyway lets wish for a better season then last year and may all your landings greasers.

Think you're a month early Seamus...........unless Spring comes earlier in Ireland.wink 2

Edited By Devon Flyer on 25/02/2012 22:36:31

Posted by Devon Flyer on 25/02/2012 22:12:02:
Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 25/02/2012 22:03:38:

Well the vernal equinox was this week and the larks were ascending at the patch on Friday, so its officially spring. A couple of us made it out and for the 30 seconds that the sun came out it was quiet nice. Anyway lets wish for a better season then last year and may all your landings greasers.

Think you're a month early Seamus...........unless Spring come earlier in Ireland.wink 2

It does indeed St Bridget's Day 1st Feb

Everyday is an educationwink 2

Good day yesterday testing my new in flight camera, havent sorted it yet but have reread the instructions so next time.Just had 4 flights with the Fun Cub.Today I was at the field by 10am .3 flights with the Fun Cub followed by 2 with the Swift.Warm Sunny day with almost no wind.Then flew the radio Queen for 2 long flights accompanied by a huge 60,96" wing span and a 96" Falcon they stayed up for 45 minutes,I never ran out of fuel and was up for half an hour each flight.Very enjoyable day

Actually what the Irish was about was a common misconception from a poem that everybody had to learn at one stage or another here. Sorry for quoting it in the original

What the poet actually said Seamus was 'now with spring COMING..and AFTER the Feast of Brigid, I'll hoist my sail.."

Raifteri didn't say that spring started on the 1st February or that he was heading off to Mayo on the 2nd - he only said the days were getting longer

Once to twice a week. Availible daylight after work is the current issue. Did a few flights in the cold bit last month but my flying became a bit rough due to lack of feeling in the fingers when I forgot gloves in my enthusiasm.

I'm contemplating converting one of my childrens old fleeces (size 5-6 years) into a sort of transmitter mitt if it gets chilly again.

Good Day Gentlemen!

I saw a blackbird with twigs in her mouth in my back garden yesterday so maybe Spring really has arrived!

There was a good turn out at the flying field. I took my Flair Magnatilla with me which is finished in "Austrian" colours.

Well another club member, turned up with a Puppeteer. This model is also from the Flair Scout series and is based loosely on the Sopwith Pup. The model didn't belong to him but if I have the story correct, somebody's father had built it and the deal was that my colleague was to fit his radio to it and to fly it and the owner was to film it in flight. In the event the owner never turned up but our club secretary managed to film it. Once the model had landed, someone suggested that we re-enact the war over the trenches, not that an Eindekker would ever have met a Sopwith Pup, but we did not require much encouragement and we both took off. Then it was a question to having a swift glance at the "enemy" before trying to position yourself above and behind the other model by which time of course he was no longer there!

Then I'm not quite sure what happened but I think we were flying in opposite directions when my undercarriage hit his upper starboard wing tip. I heard a sudden snick and noticed the aileron falling away from the Puppeteer but at the time I wasn't even sure that it was my aircraft which had hit it as there were two other models in the vicinity at the same time. I kept my eyes glued to the Maggy as it droned on while the other pilot fought to land the Puppeteer which he did successfully with no further damage. It was only when I landed that I noticed that there were bits of balsa wood in my undercarriage!

Fortunately I have a spare plan of the Puppeteer so the wing tip may be rebuilt and a party of us walked out into the kale crop and managed to find the aileron along with the wreckage of a Piper Cub and assorted bits of other models which were thrown into club's rubbish bin.

In the Great War such a victory would have been classified as FTL or Forced To Land!

I'm going to have to provide a little covering material though!

Picture of the victorious Eindekker attached.

Pre-flight Photo

Happy Landings?

David

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 27/02/2012 07:16:02

Great weekend flying. Couple of hours on Saturday afternoon and out all day Sunday. Only packed in as it was starting to turn a bit chilly. The bonus was I wasn't on my pown for once. 2 others on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Tried my Nieuport 28 out. I think it's afraid to fly. Ran up on the ground perfectly as soon as it got half way round a circuit it quit. At least I made a beauty of a dead stick landing (for once!). No damage but couldn't get the Evolution GT26 running right again! Will have to strip the carb and clean it out and give it nice new fresh plug and see if that helps.

Andy

Edited By Turbycat on 27/02/2012 18:45:22

Had several sessions over the last week at Pete B's, Club with the Fun Cub, WOT4E Balsa and Rainbow. We've had some really cold days and some great days like today. -5C overnight and a beautiful blue sky, light wind spring day.

Just come in from the field out back where I finally flew me PZ Me109G hand launched for the first time as I've taken the horrible u/c off. What a fast lady she is and much more enjoyable. Still a bit heavy though as I replaced the stock motor (during the rebuild following the fatal maiden last Spring!) with one that is a bit heavier and with a tad more Kv so the torque is also more noticeable! The 2300 3S are also heavier but I've cut the lipo housing back as far as I can. Got through 2 x lipos at about 8 minutes each.

Taking advantage of the soft ground before it 'sets like concrete' for the rest of the year for the belly flops- really enjoyed it! No damage! Didn't dare deploy the full set of flaps I've put on it. I think the 'wheels up' landing will just take them off!

Just great tho'!

Terry

Well, props and new batts have arrived from GC so tomorrow evening will be spent getting the easy fly ready again. then I might get the Webbit finally finished, then the super chipmunk parkflyer.

With any luck I'll get at least one airframe up on Thursday PM. I might manage to maiden the Webbit on Friday, depending on the weather - but I doubt it, it probably won't be finished enough, in which case I'll fly the easy fly again, or spend the time finishing the webbit....