Oh cheer, Spring's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Had a great day all day today. Was at the field at 9am thinking it's going to busy today. Well the next person turned up at 10 and then no-one else until gone lunchtime. Had some good flights with my Nieuport and a few with the Ryan and Wot 4 XL. Finally got a call from the wife asking if I'd forgotten where I lived so thought I'd better pack up go homefrown Mind you I got home in time for a nice roast dinnersmiley. Hopefully the weather will hold out until later in week when I get some time off.

Advert

GOOD GRIEF, i have a flying report for you, 2 of my mates have been building a 118"span B25, from the ziroli plans, power, 2x38s, it was over 20k in weight, so had to go through the full inspection,

Today, was test flight day, it was balanced as per plan, but on the test flight, it was apparant that the model was nose heavy, no bad thing, nose heavy flys again, tail heavy flys once, over 6 test flights, we removed nearly 2 lbs of lead!! on the first flights, it just ran out of elavator and felt heavy, LOTS better on the 5th flight, test flying was conducted by the LMA chairman, Dave Johnson, it was our first twin engined large model, on the 6th flight, we buddied up with my DX9, and Alan had a go, quite an exiting day, we also flew standard models--if you can call an 82inch TA152, and Daves 10foot Vulcan normal!!

what made it all great, we we did all this on the ex BAE Woodford runway, home of the Vulcan, we should have some nice shots of the B25, and the Vulcan, with the woodford Vulcan XA603 in the background, these will be going on the LMA forum later, its been a GREAT day

Fantastic day at the Flying Patch yesterday. Arrived at 10.00 to find about 10 members already there and flying. Unloaded the car of my Mpx Fun Cub, HK Radjet 800 and Mpx Xeno fling wing.

Multiplex Xeno

Maiden Flight launch of Mpx Xeno Flying Wing.

HobbyKing Radjet 800 - fast and wild

Formation!

Seamus' Acro Master landing with Xeno in background.

Big Thanks to Seamus O'Leprosy for Phographs.

Went down to flying site in PL25. 100% wall to wall sunshine, lovely...............except 20mph x wind ALL DAYcrying 2.

No flying done. Though, put another tank through my 77cc EVO/UMS radial..... mmmmmmmm

Edited By David Ashby on 26/03/2012 16:25:14

Posted by Alan 4 on 25/03/2012 20:58:40:

we we did all this on the ex BAE Woodford runway, home of the Vulcan,

How did you manage that you lucky person, I was just a couple of miles away in Cheadle Hulme, flying solo because nearby club is full at present.

I have flown at Woodford in the past when there was a model club on site .... I'm hoping the new owners will want to find favour with local residents and that maybe club activity on the site would be a part of that.

Had a couple of sessions yesterday, 9am (BST) was great air was completely still, my little Hobbyzone Champ was very happy, and agian late in the afternoon. Hoping for many more days like this.

wow! proper meltdown up in the north of Scotland 23c! whats goin on?

Anyway went rushing down to the field after what seemed a very long day at work only to find nobody there!? It seems that the members like it to be marginal before goin out lol.

So after making half of the 50 mile round trip I decided I was going up anyway, As I dont have my solo pass yet I was a bit on edge as Not sure how much trouble I could get into. But all said and down I made 3 flights all good first time solo landings but the first take off was slightly hairy and lucky to catch it.

However I am very chuffed that I got it back in one piece and feel that I have made good progress. I later phoned one club member to tell him what I had been upto and he was none bother with regards to the solo stuff,,, "Just be carefull!" is all he said.

Rusty

As BAE is closing at Woodford, the work transferred. I understood all the security work load gone. There is no logical reason to keep the restricted access to the site in place, particularly as it cost money to implement, other than the light aircraft operations. Which would not be a security issue.

Erfolg, the site is under new ownership, its got a company securtiy attachment there, its nothing to do with BAE, and if you owned a site you had just paid 100 million for, i think you would have security as well, there are no MOD restrictions on the site security, the new owner is trying to prevent vandalism etc,   they are quite happy, for the moment, to allow previous up to date members of woodford club, access on 1 day of the week,    but if one has a BAE pass for the club, then we could POSSIBLY get them in,  no promises,  this, i am sorry to say, is not open to debate,    one wrong move could spoil it for many others,   as yet, its early days,    we dont want to kill the goose,       if you would care to go look on the LMA site, you will see a superb picture of 2 vulcans,   XM603, in the background, and Dave Johnsons twin turbine version,  first time  a Vulcan has lifted off woodfords runway in 20 years,

until the razor wire, machine gun posts, and 24 hour arc lighting are installed, security and access will be tight, we have also been asked if we will fly 2 predator drones fitted with hellfire missiles, we obviously said yes,

Edited By Alan 4 on 26/03/2012 18:03:36

Posted by Alan 4 on 26/03/2012 16:36:05:

Do you have an old BAE systems pass? and are you at least BMFA A certed, pref LMA proficiency

Edited By Alan 4 on 26/03/2012 16:38:32

Sadly no to both at present. If I can find suitable club activity will aim to get the BMFA cert ... however need to find club first ... is the LMA meeting a regular occurence ?

Posted by Erfolg on 26/03/2012 17:42:28:

As BAE is closing at Woodford, the work transferred. I understood all the security work load gone. There is no logical reason to keep the restricted access to the site in place, particularly as it cost money to implement, other than the light aircraft operations. Which would not be a security issue.

Erfog, it is all in the past now, site closed and workforce gone as off last June. As Alan 4 says the entire site is under new owenrship now. I think I'm correct in saying that it is no longer a licensed airfield, last aircraft departure was late July last year ... a very sad day for aviation...

the airfield has no fire control, or ATC, so, its closed, what will happen with the runway in the future is not clear, but we expect nothing to occur for at least 9 months, a show is planned, with tickets limited to low thousands, what the show will encompass is not decided yet, but, as we have explained, they will have to get in gear, or publicity will be minimal, it will encompass large models, club models, some full size fly throughs, hopefully from 2 woodford products,wink 2 a fair amount of formula 1 stuff, ( new oners are big into this sort of thing) anything else would be guesswork, projected date is not yet finalised, i will, of coarse, keep you informed

Any hope of motor sport is wishful thinking I believe. It backs onto Poyton (where the mother and father in law live) Bramhall, Wilmslow, Aldery Edge. The objections to any motor sport, would I expect to be loud and well presented. The owners would probably see their finances decimated, at very least, it could cost them several tens of millions and above all time.

I would guess housing or industrial estate, is the future, anything which involves noise above occasional nature, being resisted strongly. The house of my relations is immediately adjacent to the runway and flight path. The air movements being so infrequent, you would expect it was closed years ago and even then mainly light aircraft.

In passing the Guppy flew past the house today, whilst I was sat outside.

we are on about a one off show,  to commerate the history of woodford, not a race track!!!!! 

the plans for the field are not finalised, and should not be open to discussion, all i know is we have a nice site for the next 9 months at least, and the new owners love us, lets not go and spoil it eh?

Edited By Alan 4 on 26/03/2012 21:46:55

I think a one off show will be fine, do you remember the plans for "Woodford 2012" that was going to be a one-off event (planned for before the early closure brought about by cancellation of Nimrod) and there was a lot of local support for those plans.

The future use of the site is going to be a hot topic in the local area and is going to continue to be the subject of much debate wherever it is spoken about. I'm possibly being a bit idealistic but I would really like to see the heritage of this historic site preserved and if at all possible see links with full size aviation re-established.

what i can tell you is the heritage centre will be moved, and given its own access road, XM 603 will be spruced up, just a steam clean, paint, new tyres, but its in a bad way, not the fault of the new owners, more the neglect heaped on it by BAE, some of the buildings are in a bad way, mainly the hangars, my son worked on nimrod, and he told me some tales!!! there will be some demolition, and new build, but i am not at liberty to reveal what but the company heading the site has been given the title of the AVRO HERITAGE CENTRE, gives you a bit of a clue, doesnt it? tonight i have been given most of the coming show details, its very interesting, and i am glad to say, large model avaiation is to play a central part, even more than i thought it would,

gone off topic a tad, havnt we?

Posted by ken anderson. on 27/03/2012 09:44:48:

we had 70f yesterday...... ....... we have plenty water also....cool

ken anderson ne..1 .... tropics of the UK..

Ouch! ... maybe you signature line should read "making people green dept"

I'll go one step further, here in SK8 we have the sun, the water and flat calm, couldn't ask for better ... unless you're a sloper smile d

It would seem, as with the rest of the country we in the NW have been enjoying a longish period of sun, clear skies and little wind.

As would appear to confirm "earth clods law", my eldest daughter, husband and three children descend on us on Saturday. Compounded with a compulsory trip to Ilkley, to see a amateur "Wizard of Oz", in which the grandchildren (2 off) were appearing. Not returning to home until 20:00hrs, when I had to make dinner.

Fortunately I had charged my models in anticipation, even though this was an unexpected visit (by me at least).

With all the confusion and disruption brought on by a homeful of kids, I did not get to the field until 11:00. I had thought that it was busy, in the last week. Sunday was akin to the sales, every club member and potential club member was there already. So parking was an issue, for me.

There were so many, we had a split flight line, just as Manchester Airport. One side for power sport, scale models, all electric. The other for electric gliders. This arrangement worked well. As the sport models coverted at low level, at some speed. The second allowing the generally slower arriving gliders to land. What is very noticeable,now, is that electric gliders, on launch, all go to a minimum 45 degree climb, many virtually vertical, and climb lie rockets.

Unfortunately, I had been informed that our visitors would be staying for dinner, which meant I had to leave the field at about 01:00 hrs, to make there dinner, That is life, I guess. Although not all bad news, as I was able to sit on the patio, with a glass of wine, once I had got everything prepared and in the oven or on the hobs, and the table extended.

I then reflected that I had promised to look at a kit of a Gee Bee model "D", to see if there is a plan. Which I will shortly be doing.

I have since spoken to the In laws with respect to Woodford and its future. They have told be that BAE had outlined the conversion of the airfield to two residential villages, with a small science park type development. Apparently there is a plan to put a road across the runway (whose plan is not known). Apparently Manchester International Airport were offered the site (I presume by BAE), who declined any interest. Some flying clubs apparently have an interest, although the money appeared to be an issue.

Anyway I am now preparing for Wednesday and undertaking some repairs. Yet again I have found myself wanting, and now better understand why my model crashed last Wednesday.

Edited By Erfolg on 27/03/2012 12:45:20

Edited By Erfolg on 27/03/2012 12:46:27

Alan

I have looked at the kit now.

It is a partial plan. In that there is a side view of the model, and a plan of the wing.

What is missing is a plan of the body and the airfoils for the wing.

I think you will have to make drawings/sketches of the bulkheads and the wing ribs, to be able to make it.

Regards

Carl