Oh cheer, Spring's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Great afternoon at Lalbenque today with sun, blue skies, 18C+ and a rather stiffer breeze than forecast! T-shirts it was.......thumbs up

Terry and I both had our VMAR Fournier RF4's and, of course, he had to show me just how high it could go.........smile

RF4 and moon

Formation flying (or rather, an attempt thereat) had to follow........

Formation 1

Wisps of cirro-stratus (?) way above:

Formation 2

John, who's taking his first steps in the hobby, turned up with his ab initio model, a Nine Eagles Sky Runner, which very thoughtfully being Mode 2, meant that I could fly my smallest ever RC model! At less than 28" span, it looked really tiny..........

Coo, small, isnt it?

Blimey, will it fly in this breeze? - and, more importantly, will I see it at 50 feet???

Anyway, despite the breeze, I offered to get it up and down and give him a go on the sticks (easy when it's not yours......wink 2) and, sure enough, the game little beastie coped with it all - and looked very good in the air, too!:

Sky Runner 1

Sky Runner 2

Terry shared some time on the buddy box with John on the EasyGlider and then did a bit of hooliganing with his WOT4, whilst I had some fun with the ST Models Fox, re-propped and ESC'd, which is performing a bit better now. Plenty of time on my Druine Akrobat and, inevitably, the CG Cub:

Cub

The first Cub flight was rather too exciting - suffice to say, I hadn't noticed in my pre-flight checks that the elevator snake had expanded in the warm weather, giving me a lot more up elevator than I neededsmile oembarrassed

Full down-trim and leaning on the stick, together with just 1/3 throttle (opening it up made things worse) got me around the circuit and safely back in for some adjustments to be made, fortunately. I wouldn't have expected it of Sullivan Gold-N-Rods, I have to say, so anyone using the same might find it worth checking as the weather improves!

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 29/02/2012 21:48:11

Advert

Well, attempting to fit the new prop blades last night ran into some problems - I ordered the wong size. However I did notice the hub had cracked where they are inserted so I'm quite glad!

New hubs on the way, just hope I've got the right shaft diameter...

The one complaint with the easy fly is sheer lack of information in the pamphlet they call a manual - all of the infromation I need could be found if they just told me the full motor details. as it is I've had to measure with a mircometer, and then go fo closest match (my mic is way out of calibration)

IF they turn up today then I might get some flying in tonight, failing that it will be tomorrow or Sunday. Weather isn't promising for either.

With any luck however the Webbit might be done tonight!

Great day at the strip today. Formation flying and some light hearted dogfighting, my Ryan STA v Kyosho Spitfire with a 120 4 stroke up front smiley. Couple of flights with my WOT 4 XL along side an electric foamy WOT 4.Looked brill. Wish I could have got some pics! Toughest thing was packing up and going to get the kids from school!!

Hopefully more of the same tomorrow. I think my Nieuport 28 will get back in the air again. Changed the carb on the Evolution GT26 and it seemed to run ok this evening at home. So fingers crossed and it'll flysmiley

Andy

Typical, I only get one weekend off a month.

My plan was, pick my son up Saturday and take my recently converted from 'elec' to ic Stik for it's maiden and Sunday, to the lovely slopes of South Wales with my Speedo.

But, guess what, rain, rain and just for luck a bit more rain!!!!!! angry

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 02/03/2012 17:02:33

Beem flying loads the last couple of weeks, last Sunday out most of the day, and yesterday morning too (Thursday 1st March) nice in a t-shirt, came back with a red face too (from the Sun that is and not crashing - this time !)

Fitting new nose leg and new gas tank in my big cessna today, so missed what looks like the last of the recent calm and fairly good weather !

Weather here is most disruptive to my Airspeed Courier build! It been like early Summer all week and just irresistible. Tues pm - 2 hand launches of my PZ ME109g foamie in the field out the back. Wed pm at the club with Pete b (see above) lots of flights with VMAR RF4 Fournier, WOT4 E Balsa and Easy Glider with a 'newbie' on the buddy box.

This pm 2 x flights with the PZ again out the back and today 1 x PZ and then brought the Graupner Elektro out of retirement and blew the cob webs off for a pleasant late pm flight! Lovely.

Heavy rain forecast for Sun night thro' to Tues pm so build will continue Sun onward!

Terry

Well another 4 hours at the strip today. Bit murky this morning but it soon cleared up when the sun started shining. I finally got my 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 flying well today. Changed the carb on the engine , Evolution GT26, for one I had hanging around and all was well. Got to strip the original down and see whats up with it. Probably needs a good clean. I put an 18 x 6 on the Nieuport and it's off like a scolded cat. I reckon it'll almost prop hang on itsurprise

I've also got my large Perkins Tiger Moth ready to go as well so now I'm spoilt for choice with planes to take to the strip. I think I have room for one more. Mybe a fun fly 3 D type model. I hapen to a Jen 57 hanging around so that should make one go well.

Happy flying everyone.

Andy

A period of building & maintenance resulted in a flight of aircraft ready for testing on 06/03/12.

It was a maiden for the Cosmic Wind followed by several more flights to adjust the CG rearward a little at a time. Result a good flyer, average to quick across the sky.

CG adjusting again for the DG1000, just 10 grammes extra on the nose balanced it nicely for flight with the motor raised or parked. There's an acceptable but noticeable trim change when the motor is raised or lowered so the next job will be to sort out flight conditions on the Tx to suit.

The Fizza, erm, embarrassed, someone, I think it was my wife, forgot to make sure the Tx crystal wasn't in another transmitter.... at home. It's had some covering replaced which involved the removal & refitting of the right aileron. It's also had new decals which should be visually helpful when flying.

Spring flight 06/03/2012

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/03/2012 12:57:12

Would you believe that I haven't flown anything this year?
Last time was on New Years Eve with my Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX, however this Sunday should change all that with the forecast being so good for the West Midlands.

At least I've got a fair bit of build time in during the past few months instead.

I've been up to the field a few times lately, most recently on Tuesday afternoon. A couple of weeks ago I maidened my Orion-E on a still but cold day, it climbed and glided well after moving the CG slightly forward. I managed a few flights but probably only about 10 minutes each. The LiPo is only a 450 25C with a CF2822 motor turning a Graupner 9 x 5 folding CAM prop. Won't bust that prop on landing, Ha Ha! On Tuesday though the wind dropped to a breeze, the sun shone and there was a Spring feeling in the air, birds were singing etc. First flight about 10 minutes again, next though I climbed the model higher and managed to catch some lift, probably flew for about 20 minutes. I could have flown longer but landed to check the battery, which was only down to 60%. I'm getting to like this soaring business and the Orion looked great circling high in a blue (for once) sky with the sun shining through the wings. Later on the breeze picked up and it began to get a bit cold but never mind, I'm much encouraged and looking forward to longer and warmer days with more lift. I've been reading soaring articles in the mag's. That's what I like about this hobby, there's always something new to try.

Off to the club this pm armed with my trusty WOT4E Balsa, Phoenix Rainbow and my SF Cessna 185 foamie. Blue sky but unfortunately too windy at the club! Had one flight with WOT4 - enjoyable and even a successful landing that the gusts couldn't wreck but a little too unpredictable for me to try again. The others stayed in the van!

Then disaster! No not me for once! We had a couple of tugs operating for the quiet flight brigade - an unusual event at our club but we have gained some new members from a neighbouring club that has problems with public access ( to the runway!). Our Vice President bought his new 4+ metre glider which, inc servos/rx/batt cost about €1500 to try his hand at a free aero-tow. No - nothing went wrong with the aero-tow and he began to enjoy his flight. Suddenly there was a shout from him to say he had lost sight of his glider. About 30 eyes turned skyward in the direction of his frozen gaze. Nothing. Not a flash of white or reflection off th canopy. Nothing. About 20 mins later we concluded that we were not going to see anything and that it was probably several klicks away in deep impenetrable Lot Causse woodland. Not a happy day and especially for the VP who left to tell SWMBO of his loss.

Next one of the tugs refused to restart and another broke the nose wheel on running off the runway.

Then in effort to lift the mood of the afternoon another member proudly revealed a large real jet (never before seen at our club!) an F18 Blue Angel!! Everyone was amazed and attentively watched it was assembled and fuelled - that took forever! Then complete with fire extinguisher and a volunteer crew the 'reactor' (this is France) was started and then run up. Excited - yes we were! A taxi up and down the 'piste ' (still France!) whet our appetite and mobile pones were produced to record this event. Then a turn at the down wind end and off she went! Well would have done if the power had been there - aborted t/o and gloom fell again. I came home and made Ham, egg chips and peas - comfort food.

All I need now is for France to beat England tomorrow and that will really make me call my stress counsellor!!

Its not always perfect here!

Terry

Ouch, that story of the sailplane sends a shiver down the spine, Terry! Perhaps one of the local ULM guys might go up for a look if they are asked?

My thoughts, if I was in the same predicament, might be to try and provoke a spin in the hope that the wings would reflect a bit of light and catch someone's attention.

It's interesting to ponder, given the failsafe thread that is running, whether an option might have been to switch off the Tx when hope was fading. If a decent failsafe setting, ie airbrakes deployed and gentle turn, has been set, it would be within a limited distance, rather than sailing off sedately downwind or wherever........

The rest sounds about par for the course! wink 2

Pete

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 10/03/2012 20:14:56:
All I need now is for France to beat England tomorrow and that will really make me call my stress counsellor!!

Its not always perfect here!

Terry

Nahh - worry about the 17th when we play you laughcheekywink

No - not worried about that one - just hope you can cope with the disappointment!wink 2 You'll be worn out by the 17th with all those matches!

That which was lost is found! The vice -president carried out an air search ( Pete B great minds think alike!) with his friend who has an ULM (Microlight) and found his missing 4 metre glider. Phew!!

All I need now is for England to hang onto their half time lead and not give any more penalties away and I'llbe happy!

Terry

Had a nice afternoon yesterday. Bit breezey and cloudy when I turned up at 2:30pm. Soon cleared up and got very sunny. I was cleaning the planes down to put away, chatting with the others and suddenly thought "It's got a bit dark!!". The sun disappeared behind our neighbouring forest and the light just vanished. Thought "I'm in trouble here" was only meant to be a couple of hours.frown Got back home to comments of "how's the flying?" and "your rissottos ready". So all in all not a bad day. She could have helped clean the planes tho'wink

Been flying around once every six or so days when I'm off work and not under istruction from SWMBO.

Current hack is my Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee 40 fitted with a O/S 46FX. Let just say you need to fly and plan ahead with it but all good fun. At some point I must restart on the P47 Build if I am to finish it by August this year