have you seen my old hammerhead????

Fellow modellers

I don’t know if any of you out there remember the advert on TV where an old guy called JR Hartley was trying desperately to find a copy of a book he once had published, Fly Fishing by JR Hartley. Well, ‘Though not quite as old as Mr Hartley’ I find myself on a similar quest. I have been a modeller for some 30+ years and during most of those years I have flown my own designs one of which was called the Hammerhead (see attached photos).

Well about 15 years ago I started to manufacture the Hammerhead kit in three sizes 54”, 62” and 75” wing span which were distributed throughout the UK by Ervine Engines, however I stopped manufacturing them shortly after my wife sadly passed away.

I am currently toying with the idea of reproducing an updated version of the Hammerhead kit and possibly some of my other designs too, therefore, just like poor old Mr Hartley I am trying to find anyone who may have built and flown my kit. I sold a large number of these kits, so if you are out there I would love to hear from you to find out what you thought of how the kit performed in both its build quality and its flying performance or better still, if you know of any Hammerheads that are still flying today.

I would also like to hear from other modellers on their thought on ARTF (almost ready to fly) kits, do you love them or hate them? I just want to get a general idea of how my fellow modellers feel about ARTF kits, because as a modeller who gets just as much pleasure from building a kit as I do from flying one, I am finding it difficult to decide which way to go as most of the retailers I have spoken to seem to think the general trend is for ARTF kits

PM me if you'd like to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Richie Carey

Edited By David Ashby on 27/02/2012 13:52:09

Advert

hi ken

I didn’t even know they were still out there, I have just built one of the 62” hammerheads which is one of 6 that had been sleeping in my loft for years lol and to be quite honest there were a few thing I was not happy with myself which is why I have just spent the passed few weeks updating the design, but I am looking forward to speaking to anyone that has built the kit and getting their feed back, good or bad.

richie

Yeah steve I use to get a lot of people saying that it looked a bit cap232’ish and I always took that as a bit of a compliment, however the original inspiration for the hammerhead design came loosely from the Yakovlev yak 55 though I did drop the radial cowl when it was still at the drawing board stage.

richie

RE- Advise from shops...

They will say ARTF is better, cuz they can shift them to anyone with the money, but you'd be suprised how many builders are still out there...

A kit with wood n plan is what it is, but can you make an ARFT kit for the same costing as E-flite, or worse still, the cheapy chineses kits.. ??

Nice looking plane..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Yo Richie, i built a 62 inch Hammerhead out of the box with an Irvine 72 engine about 6 months ago for a friend. It still has'nt been flown .The cowl in the kit did'nt fit , and had to altered, and i was told by someone who had flown one that the u/c mount just pulled straight out of the foam wing in anything but a perfect landing.I altered this and fitted u/c block under first too fus formers ( same as acro wot )Can now pull as hard as you want on u/c legs, no problem. Will post pic's shortly.

Hi Chrisie

Its is good to know that there are those of us who still have a passion for building kits and the satisfaction one gets from seeing a model built by your own hands take to the air for the first time. Should I decide to re-launch the hammerhead I may have to look into the possibility of producing both options ARTF and standard kits.

Thanks

Richie