Newbies

Clarky

Hi, I've spoken to a few poeple on here now and it's great to be able to share experiences. I'm looking to join my first club soon and buy my first trainer. Been flyng a glider and the parkzone mustang but on my own and for only 6 months. Wanted to see how you get on with your first visits to clubs etc.......hope to hear from you soon. Maybe hear from Jay, Angus and others.....cheers peeps Clarky

Hi steve, thanks for replying. Good luck mate, I look forward to hearing from you. I went to my local club this sunday and started speaking to a young chap who introduced me to his grandfather. he has been flying for 50 years and was very friendly. They have told me to pop down any saturday with my trainer once purchased and they will start teaching. I'm really pleased and looking forward to it. Better than my last experience anyway. I'll keep you posted, still waiting for a couple of bits yet. Good luck again and keep me posted. speak soon.
Clarky

Hi Guys, I turned up yesturday and couldnt have been made more welcome,very helpful indeed and next week I shall be taking may plane with me as one of the chaps is willing to check it over for me and then give it its maiden flight!! I was given the forms to join there and then and they had an info pack explaining rules etc...whata switched on club..cant wait to be a member!!
Steve

Hey Steve, that's fantastic news. Good on you. Well who's the local club, lets give them a PLUG !! Very pleased for you fella, I bet you cant wait to see your plane up in the air, what is it?? You can tell your buzzing, your e-mail is very positive. Look forward to the next update. I'll send mine as soon as I progress. I am in the middle of buying my first trainer, have the radio gear on it's way now. I've mainly flown park flyers but nothing trainer like if you know what I mean. Speak soon Steve
Clarky

Hey Clarky I went to my local club for the first time last friday night, to what they explained as a "chin wag" The club has its own club hut which is stuffed full of all kinds of models. I could have admired them all night! But I talked with them for a while about trainers and stuff and they all seemed to be friendly. One guy in particular helped me a lot and he let me on the flight sim, which was realy good practice. He had me flying 3D in no time!!! It just gave me a bit more confidence using the flight sim because I know what to expect when I fly my first trainer. I spent practically the whole night on the sim and had a great time!

On the Sunday I came to spectate the guys flying down on the field. It was great watching the aerobatics and how everything was done. I found out about the membership and the insurance that i needed. I was a bit dissapointed that it might take a few weeks untill I became insured but good things come to those who wait i suppose. Ill be going back this friday for another go on the sim. On sunday hopefully I will get a try on the buddy box with one of the experienced flyers with the club trainer. I just ordered an Irvine tutor 40 so hopefully I will get that this week. Ill stop now because im probably boring you all but im really getting into this exciting new hobby!

Hi Angus, good to hear from you. Sounds like things are moving forward for you nicely. I've never had a go on a simulator but I bet it helps. Good luck this Sunday Angus, I guess this weekend will give some of us some new stories and success to discuss as we all get used to flying. I've now received my radio gear, just ordering the plane, then obviously have to build. I'm looking forward to that. Perhaps we will all start up a new thread, all of us, Spence and Antony included when we all really get going. Stay in touch all. If you move to a new thread let me know. Have a great time and look forward to teh next update. Clarky !

Hi Angus, Clarky and Antony. Hope you don't mind me muscling in our your thread, but have you any room for another coming back to the hobby after errrrr a long time lets say? Just finished a Wot 4, have spent a lot of time on a sim ready for hopefully my first flight in many years. We could almost create a seperate group of us all returning to the hobby, wonder why there are so many, was there something on the news recently that rekindled it. Can't be Battle of britain on the telly at Christmas can it..... Angus you are definitely not boring us, let us know how it goes, your experiences will probably give us a heads up as to what to expect.

Hi Guys, been away all week with that stuff we have to do called work!! Angus your club sounds really good mate ,where is it?? Any where near Chorley!!??
Anyway guys i have a problem, my Apache 2 plane is in hospital, I just couldnt get the electrics working so it is now down the local model shop where the experts said it needs some TLC, I took that to mean its knackered buy another one!! So I have a budget of £200 ( her indoors thinks its £150 of course!) so what should i buy?? I like a noisy engine so electrics out im afraid,and an ARTF would be better. Clarky what are you buying?? And Danny what is a WOT 4? Thanks for all the support and advice guys...nice yo know there is people out there who are willing to give there time up to offer advice for free!! Great thread,lets keep in touch and share our stories,off to club tomorow to watch as my plane is poorly sick....boo hoo!!

Its the weekend please refrain from the "W" word the moderator will be down on us like a ton of bricks!
Sorry to hear about the Apache, I hope it makes aspeedy recovery.
The Wot 4 is a bit of a modelling legend, it wasn't around when I flew last. However everybody that has been modelling a few years has had one and they all have nothing but praise, it is supposed to be good at everything. A colleague who also is amodeller, says he has had 12! and that story is not that unusual. This is my first so I will let you know what I think. The drawback for the modern R/C enthusiast (ARTF pilots) is the Wot 4 arrives in strips of balsa and ply, and you do need a bit of modelling knowledge or experience, and a good feel for figuring stuff out. This is why I love building models, a series of solutions that must be found, lightness versas strength, the constant battle. Anyway take a look at this sites homepage, there was a good article done by Dave Ashby which looks at the Wot 4, and whether it is still worth a look, well worth a read.
Gone on a bit sorry will go now....

Well I got to go visit my local club today. I found the guys welcoming and helpful. After a few hicups (like leaving the throttle needle behind) I got a chance to see my plane in the air. The club chairman - Kevin - checked the plane over for me, and after a few minor adjustments he took it up and set it through its paces.
I must admit I was a little anxious having watched a couple of the guys have problems due to the wind getting up a little, but Kevin took it in his stride and proved that my plane was quite capable of handling it. Thanks guys for the help - especially to Kevin if you are reading this.

Thanks Danny, im not much of craftsmen so building the model is out for me, thanks any way mate,i also think that if it took me months to build i would have it as an ornament for fear of crashing it, I would be gutted!! Antony sound like you had a good day today my friend,i imagine it was a "buzz" to see it flying?!What were you flying?? Did you get the chance to have a go?? Spence, franticaly trawling websites to find a plane to buy!!

Hi Spence. the plane is an Arising Star artf. Nothing fancy but at least allows me to start flying while Im building (I like to build though Im not that good yet:) ). As to whether I flew it - no - I was just happy to see it in the air. Today was more a case of familurising myself with the field (and its mud). But I had an interesting time none the less. I did get to appreciate though just how under prepared I was for the day. I mean - who else would leave the throttle needle behind?? Not to bad though as I only live about 20 mins from the site so I was able to go collect it.

Ha Ha, sounds like something I would do!....Will look at your plane on the web.Know what you mean about the mud Antony...and i thought there was a global warming problem.....not in Chorley...yet!!Glad to hear you had fun,its a fab hobby, though my missus says im a sad man....while she was reading HELLO magazine about Jordon!!! Me sad??? Thanks for the reply mate.

Hi All !!!!! WOW I'm amazed and also really pleased. I havent been on for a couple of days and just looked and cant beleive how many of us getting involved, its brilliant. Welcome Danny, good to hear from you, the more the merrier that's what I say. Hey Spence....sorry to hear about the apache, real nightmare. I'm currently looking at the Arising star, the seagull cessna and the Irvine Tutor. I went to my local club today for a few hours. I've now got all my radio gear and will be bying the plane this week. I saw a brand new Tutor 40 at the club and it looks really nice. The other plane recommended was the Ready 2. the ready 2 is mainly plastic and slightly mote durable however is just a bit more advanced in capability. I'm going to go for anyone of these 4, whatever the best price. I saw the seagull arising star online for 42.95 + postage . How much did you pay Antony?? Anyway chaps great to see you all and will be checking tomorrow. I reckon we really could have our own very popular thread here, one we can really help each other out on. Take it easy Clarky

Hi Clarky,
I paid around the £50 - £60 mark for my Arising Star. I have a thunder tiger 40 in it. Although I bought the engine new it has been discontinued some time ago. But no matter. Watching the plane being tested I can tell you it wont just stop at learning the basics. The chap who tested it out for me did some aerobatics with it - loops - stall turns and even flew it upside down for a short time so its quite capable of being used for learning beyond basic traning.
Antony

Never mind Spence, theres always next week. Antony, thanks for letting me know. That's brilliant to hear, I heard most of the trainers could do aerobatics but only seem them fly sensibly so far. Superb, well thats certainly helping me to make my mind up, Thank you. Good luck to you for when you get your hands on the controls. Catch up with you all in the week. Take it easy Clarky.

Hi Jez you after 2 stroke or 4? If this is your first engine may I suggest 2 stroke? You can't go wrong with an OS but they are not cheap. However a great first engine could be the OS46LA, its not ball raced so may not last as long as the hotter OS dual raced motors but they seem really popular. I am currently trying a Just Engnes JEN 57, loads of power and fairly cheap, I will let you know how it goes.
I have heard some good reports on the ASP range though personally I have never owned one.
Danny