Newbies

Clarky

Hi All, nothing to report really,midweek now and looking forward to weekend, im off to Berlin to treat the fiance to a weekend away, no flying or visits to club for me!!!
My Apache is still not fixed........me thinks its gonna be a garage mascot....may find a shop in Berlin that sells models!!! Light at the end of the tunnel eh!!!!!.....
spence.

hey spence, have a lovely weekend, that will be very relaxing no doubt. take it easy and catch up next week. Chat to the rest of you over the weekend. By the way I've received my arising star today, looks great, I'm well excited, will be getting building over the weekend....now wheres that craft knife :-)
See you all soon,
Clarky

Hi Antony, thanks for your note. Was going to ask you a question actually, it looks like you have to cut a small amount of board out for standard servos. Did you do this?? Other than that it all looks fairly straight forward,. I'm going to tackle some of it tonight :-), take it easy
Jez

Hi Guys,
My plane is still not fixed, getting very frustrated, im off going to spend this weekend trawling the NW for model shops, gonna buy a new model......will keep all posted.

By the way was in Berlin last week and could not find any model shops anywhere!!!!

Weathers fine this week for flying eh!!!

Hey clarky and co! Im seriously amazed at how this thread has grown! I have been too busy building my tutor 40! It came in the post a few weeks back with a futaba 6EX-A transmitter and an irvine 46 engine. Its now finished and ready to fly! I have been making a lot of noise and annoying the neighbours running the engine in :) he he. If anyone who is looking at a tutor 40 all I can say is the instuctions are really clear and easy to follow and it looks awsome. There was only one snag i had: no fuel lines, so I had to order some which was no problem. Sadly the weather has been way too windy recently and I havent been able to fly...sigh.

On tuesday i went out with my dad for some slope soaring with my nebula, which was great! I had loads of lift and i was flying for the better part of an hour untill I made a hash of the landing which was really badly planned and resulted in a smashed up wing which now needs to be replaced...Waaah. Trouble is the new nebula (mine is a few years old) has a diffenrent wing and im having trouble finding a replacement. Anyway rant over... Angus

Hello everyone,
I am a fairly new comer to the hobby, I have flown electric gliders and several GWS Parkflyers for the last six to eight months.
However after crashing my GWS spitfire recently, I realise I am running before I can walk and need to Join a club.
I have paid for the insurance from the BMFA, and at a recent modellers swap meet near me i brought the "seagull asising star" trainer with an OS 46. After reading all the above threads it looks like it should be a good plane to start learning on.
Will let you know how i get on, and good luck to everyone with maiden flights and getting the hang of this.
Regards
Dave

Hey Dave, welcome to the thread, another arising star, that'll be three of us. Get yourself some fuel line, the kit only comes with a small amount, other than that it's lovely to build, enjoy!! Hi everyone else, it's been a few days sorry. Good to hear from you all, everyone is getting involved it's great. Antony, thanks for the advice re the trimming, it didnt take too much to fit the futaba servos in. I'm nearly there, I picked up the OS 46 LA which is a nice snug fit (Thanks Danny) and I'm just fitting the tail plane. I reckon two weeks and I'll be down the club. Not this weekend I'm off to Norfolk. Beleive it or not my father in law wants to have a go :-). I'm giving him my electric glider and taking the mustang parkflyer up to show him. Hope the weather is calm. Angus, great news about the tutor, lovely plane, I saw one a couple of weeks back, superb and good luck mate, sorry to hear about the nebula though. Good luck finding a new model spence, theres so many to choose from !!! Anyway I'm off now to pack for the weekend. Have a great time all and look forward to speaking to you next week.
Clarky

Thats it im off to buy a an arising star this weekend......sounds like I will have a lot of people to guide me through the build.
Have a great weekend chaps...this thread just gets bigger!!Wonder what the biggest thread has been to date??

Hey Spence, great news, well pleased for you. OK if you want a good place, well the cheapest I found online was stevewebb models. Arising star below for £42.49 (Bargain)

http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php?pid=ASALE2JP&area=Aircraft

Good luck mate, let us all know when youve done the deed :-)
Jez

Evening All, Danny Fenton raises an interesting point with his question on why so many are returning to the fold. In my case it was very simple, I started making model aircraft at school,from there I graduated to model engineering.About ten years ago I suffered a heart attack which meant that I was no longer able to play with
my rather large train set! My last locomotive weighed approx. 2 cwt.Even a quarter scale aircraft wouldn't weigh that much.That's my story,anyone want to explain
the motivation behind their return? Regards Allan J..TTFN

Hi Alan, Mine is quite simply time (and money). I used to make planes when I was a youngster but I had to give it up when I got married. but my kids are nearly all grown now and I have a little more time on my hands. My wife is disabled and I eventually had to give up working to become her carer. Im still fairly young (I still call mid 40s young :) ) - so I needed to give myself something to do. Well despite my love for my computers you can only do so much with them before you get bored.
I told my wife just before Christmas that I wanted to go back to building models - but I wanted to fly them. So as good as she is, she bought me 2 planes for my present - a Flair Cub (which I am building at the moment) - and the Arising Star. And I have to say its great getting back to doing a hobby I enjoyed in my youth. By the way I only ever flew rubber powered things in my youth - I did attempt to fly a glider a few years ago but without a trainer an no knowledge of how to do it - I didnt get far. Funnily I never did crash it and I still have it now.
Anyway - Im off to the flying field this moirning so I will catch upu with you all later. Antony

Well - I think one word describes that feeling - WOW!!
Pretty windy when I got to the flying site - around 18 - 20 mph. The first thing done today was a thorough inspection of the plane - some of the best advise I received was concerning the type of connectors being used on the servo end of the control rods. The type supplied are the ones with the little grub screws in them which clamp down on the rod. Although they are ok I was advised to changed them to either a z bend or to a 90 degree bend and clip to secure them or even a clevis.
Once all was checked - my instructor took it up to check it out before connecting the buddy lead. Then once that was ok the buddy cable was connected and then it was my turn. Talk about being nervous? Having played around with a simulator for a while I soon realised that I was moving the controls far to much. Once I got used to that I started doing right hand circuits. Having refueled and rested we were up again doing some more right hand circuits. That wasnt to bad considering Ive not done it before. Then we changed to left hand circuits - oh boy - was that different! The wind direction made it perform somewhat differently. By the time we had landed, refueled, and rested for the third flight the wind had picked up somewhat. However we got airborn again and continued with the left hand circuits. I began to struggle somewhat more as as soon as the control was handed over to me I kept losing hight. One of the other chaps there came to the rescue and checked over my controls again just to make sure it was the wind causing the problem and not me. He put in a couple of clikcs on the elevators and that seemed to cure it. Handing back over to me I found that it had definately settled down again.
Its an incredible sense of feeling you get when you complete that first manovour and take control. Ok I was far from perfect - but I still have a plane intact with no mishaps (apart from me getting over anxious when the wind had the plane going the opposite way to what I wanted to go and over compensating on the controls.
But hey it was GREAT fun.
What did I learn while flying?
1 Keep movements small and smooth
2 Dont panic
3 listen for the instructor's instructions
4 Dont panic
5 Dont let the wind dictate where the plane is going
6 Dont panic
7 Have fun
and oh yes 8 DONT PANIC :)
No Im not exagerating by putting in "dont panic" every other item - you really do need to relax and remember if things get out of control - there is always your instructor there to help you out of it.
I soon realised that there where times when even I could recognise when I was getting into difficulty.
Anyway - a long winded post I know but the feeling you get when you first take control really is quite exilerating. I am really looking forward to the next flight now.

Thanks for the welcome clarky, will take your advice and buy more fuel line. I was wondering if you or anyone else would be able to recommend what prop size to start off with for the OS 46?
An excellent thread Antony, and a good read.
I used to belong to a model flying club in coventry about 17 years ago, and was just getting the hang of the basics when Marriage,houses and a morgage put a stop to everything.
I have just changed jobs which is giving me more time at home, which is why i have renewed my interest in the hobby.
I now live in a different part of the country and feel some trepidation in approaching my local club, but all the newcomers on this forum seem to have been made welcome, so the sooner I get in touch the better.
Regards
Dave