hobbyzone Super Cub LP

avtur

Hi there, sorry if this has been asked before, I've tried to use the search facility but without success ,,,,

If you are an experienced flyer then then please look away now ...this is a very basic question ... does anyone here fly the Hobbyzone Super Cub LP?

I'm looking for a good reliable beginner ship ...from what I can see on the web ... this ticks all the boxes ... unless anyone can suggest something better ...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for suggestions folks, for reasons of speed and convenience I did go with the HZ Cub LP, bought from Steve Webb, home inside 45 minutes and ready for the air 90 minutes later ...

Have to report great (early) success with this model, I know full well it is not the most demanding to fly but after a long break (and forcing myself to change from mode 1 to mode 2) I need to get airtime to boost my confidence; this model is certainly doing that.

I think it is very important to achieve success, even if it is with an easy to fly model, in order to build the confidence to want to keep coming back for more. It's probably a very personal matter but I would far rather achieve success and outgrow a model and then move on to something more demanding than enter by a more challenging route which might lead to failure, and then becoming demoralised and not following it up ...

While on a break from flying models I have been flying kites, it breaks my heart to see families on the beach trying to fly something that doesn't quite work, they go away disheartened never to try again. I'd far rather see an introduction that leads to early suucess (even if it is at a simple level) because that will encourage people to come back for more.

The Cub LP is a sound machine, and if its simplicity assures sucess for anyone who wants to engage in our hobby then I believe that is a good thing. I hope to progress from it, but this model will always hold my attention because of the part it played in me becoming re-aquainted the hobby.

Hi Avtur, the super cub was the first model i used to get my solo with, and a mix of the clubs ic trainer i still use the cub every time i go flying and its all ways the first model i fly as it helps with the confidence if i have not flown for a while, i have now progressed to a liberty 182 from blackhorse models a real pussy cat to fly as its very big.

My super cub has been upgraded with alierons, brushbrush less motor, 2200 lipos, big landing wheels,up rated landing gear,wing strutt mod, all the mods can be found on the internet if you want to do them or just leave it as standard, i have crashed this plane about 6 times as it is foam it can be repaired very easy, and parts for then are cheap.

One word of advise with this model dont fly it if its to windy as you will loose it very quick as it is very small as does not like to much wind and try to keep it close to you, have fun with it its a great model to star with going to keep mine it as long as i can even if it looks batterd .

Dave

I have flown two or three HZ / PZ supercubs now, two of my boys having learnt on them.

I will only really say one thing: utterleyfabulousfantastic.

They are reasonably strong, though each model eventually snapped its tail section off. Easily remedied with hot glu.

The models fly very well, though the ACT is garbage. My boys learnt to fly on these planes , simple as that. EWhen they started they had no stick time other than the usual sims and PSP whatever stuff, and by the time they finished one boy went straight onto Parkzone mustangs and the other onto Swift flying wings. What cn I say?

The cubs have been flown in howling gales too - forward penetration zero so a vertical descent into my son';s hands!  (but be sure you can do this, otherwise as the other chap said, it won't half disappear quick!)

I think the cub will repay you whatever you put it - if youre a learner then the cub is a simple and basic flier, but if you have skill and experience then it is an astonishingly good and fun flier.

Whats wrong with them? The battery compartment is too small and fiddly, the wings need a screw driver to get on and off, the ACT is a bemusing addition. Thats it.

Highly recommended.

David

Edited By David perry 1 on 28/03/2012 12:50:59

I've just remembered that I did have one little niggle with it out of the box, whoever installed the strut retainers into the wing got it wrong on one side. The wings are foam with no sign of any strengthening built in which leads me to believe the struts are quite functional inpreventing the wings from flexing once any sort of a load is put on them. I had to extract both retainers from the left wing and remount them (they were both too close to the fuselage so I had to move them out). Without doing this there would have had to be significant movement in the wing before any tension was put on the struts. No big deal in the scheme of things.

Also, can anyone confirm that the spinner is just a very, very tight push fit on the prop nut? I've tried to remove it and applied quite a bit of force, I can apply more if I know I'm doing the right thing, just want to be sure....

And another also, I've bound the installed Rx to my DX6i and intentionally done nothing to activate the ACT, is it OK to simply unplug the ACT sensors from the Rx to ensure the system remains disabled, given that it is a bespoke Rx with inputs for the ACT does the Rx expect to 'see' that the sensors are connected.

Ta ...

Edited By avtur on 28/03/2012 13:36:57

I have the sensor unpluged on mine with dx6i and ar 500 receiver, if i can remember you have to take the spinner off and i think the nut that holds the prop on is behind it , i know its a bit close to the cowl , i think i rember it being very hard to get off now, you do need a bit of movement with the wing supports the wing has to flex a little dont make the supports to tight as they will pull out off the wing

hope this helps Dave

Dave

my first plane was the hpbbyzone mini super cub... very good trainer in my eyes, i would suggest you go for the bigger one though as bigger planes are more stable in flight and easier to fly
the only thing i would say, is get loads of spares, because if your a complete beginner... you will crash, and like me youll be doing loads of repair jobs :P
hope this helps
Gibbo

Posted by david 7 on 28/03/2012 19:59:57:

I have the sensor unpluged on mine with dx6i and ar 500 receiver, if i can remember you have to take the spinner off and i think the nut that holds the prop on is behind it , i know its a bit close to the cowl , i think i rember it being very hard to get off now, you do need a bit of movement with the wing supports the wing has to flex a little dont make the supports to tight as they will pull out off the wing

hope this helps Dave

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have prised the spinner quite hard and can see the nut beneath it so will contiue with a bit more foce now. Regarding the wings struts, on the good side there is just a little slack in the struts when the model is sitting on the ground, so I repositioned the strut mounts on the bad side to match the good (I moved one mount 10mm the other 15 mm!). At rest there is slack in the struts on both sides, if I lift the model at its wing tips both sides just come into tension. Certainly flies OK with my mod ....

• 1 month later...

I brought the HobbyZone super Cub LP the other week, but only had a chance to get two early evening flights in and as it was my 1st plane and 1st flight, taking off was a waist of time and somewhere along the way I must of messed the trim up because on the 1st hand lanch the plane banked round right into a tree... D'oh! Lucky no damage and I managed to trim it an got a few semi good flights and sort of controlled landings. The 2 day was even better and I found out my Tx had the rudder in reverse mode so switching that back to normal really helped me fly better. lol

I inherited an HZ Super Cub Brushed with a damaged gearbox and converted it to brushless on a 3536 kv1400. It was absolutely smashing to fly as my first RC model, but one slightly windy day I lost control and it got shredded through a tree. Lesson learned. I did consider another but with no money I couldn't. However, as it's my birthday today I received from the family a cheap'n'chearful J3 Cub courtesy of Hobby King, see piccy:

J3 Cub

It's a delicate machine and I've identified some possible structural strengthening areas before flight. As this is the case and my flying skills are very basic I'll have to wait 'til I'm more competent. To that end I've put both the Tiger Moth and Aerovolt Sport Deco build programmes on hold, (see my albums) grabbed my drawing kit and drafted up a suitable trainer for myself.. I call it the Graduate Deco and am cracking on sticking fingers together, bending pins and forgetting where I put that damned steel ruler! (see piccy's)

Wing Fuselage & Rib Plans

Four wing panels, two dihedrals.

Cross bracing  adds good strength with little weight

Here's hoping. Not for lack of trying I suppose. He he he. Oh one thing I've found a bucket of Amtico WBPU floor dressing under the stairs. Anyone used this product before?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm learning to fly on a HZ supercub lp, would agree with what most people are saying,mines been crashed several times (i'm forcing my self to practice approaches and landings!) so far everything glues back together with epoxy/superglue/ducttape, still flying/learning but everyones right about flying in the wind and keeping the plane relativly close to you. Good to start learng on for the investment.

Does anyone know if i can bind any make of 2.4gh DSMX to the DX4e tx that comes with the HZ supercub? I was wanting to progress to a larger ic trainer and use the tx and buy just a new rx and some servos

Posted by Rob43 on 30/05/2012 11:17:34:

Does anyone know if i can bind any make of 2.4gh DSMX to the DX4e tx that comes with the HZ supercub? I was wanting to progress to a larger ic trainer and use the tx and buy just a new rx and some servos

It will work with any DSMX or DSM2 receiver, including Orange Rx's, with the exception of the Spekky AR6000, it would seem.

There's thread on it over here where a Horizon employee confirms this.

Pete