ARTF of Tim Hooper's Blackburn B2 required

I know this will be sacriligeous amongst all of you model builders on this forum but someone has to take pity on us less capable model flyers. Having followed Tim's build blogg of the Blackburn B2 on modelflying.co.uk and now read the article in the mag I absolutely must have one. As I commented in the blogg, many years ago I worked on the actual aircraft modeled by Tim and it stirred up many memories. Unfortunately my skills were in the engine side of things rather than the airframes so I have never developed the building skills required for modelling. Please, please, please, I need someone to make this into a "kit" at the very least, so I can drop it on someones modelling board and say "put this together for me" of even better turn it into an ARTF so that I can put it together myself.

Any takers? thinking

Alwyn

Advert

Hi Alwyn, there are always people that are willing to build models to order. I don't know any personally and there lies the rub, whom do you choose. But if you are that desperate and money is not too great an object, then it could be a route to consider?

As Steve says, I am sure it will be embraced into the MHS fold and get turned into a kit of parts. IMO it is Tim's loveliest design to date, and would be a real shame not to have access to the parts.

Cheers

Danny

Alwyn/Tom,

Many thanks for your kind words! wink 2

Somehow I can't see there being a sufficient market for a full-blown ARTF of the B2 - it's a bit of a niche thing - but there's nothing to stop you barraging our esteemed editorial team with requests for a CNC kit, is there?

It's a very labour-intensive model design admittedly, with lots of funny-shaped bits of wood and ply, so I'd expect the price of any form of kit to reflect this.

tim

You know Alwyn, not one single modeller was born knowing how to build. We all had to learn from scratch and once you start learning it becomes quite easy.

Each new model presents a new problem but suddenly you find that it wasn't quite as hard as you thought.

Now I agree that Tim's B2 is not the best model to start with but if you built a couple of simpler models you would soon learn and not have to start begging for ARTFs or people to buuild it for you.

I have a photo taken many years ago of a chap's first ever model. IT was an own design control line Bristol Britannia.

If you really want to, you can do it.

Hi Peter

My comments were meant to rather tongue in cheek, I've no doubt that if I really put my mind to it I can do anything I want. I'm not sure tho' that I have the patience to see it through' and the ever present possibility that something I had spent so much time on might end as matchwood does not thrill me.

Alwyn

Posted by Alwyn Gee on 16/03/2012 13:11:44:...... something I had spent so much time on might end as matchwood does not thrill me.

Alwyn

That worries me too. Mind you nobody ever said this hobby was going to be easy or risk-free, did they?

I always say to new club members (clutching their shiny new model) that,in the end, gravity will invariably win, and if they can't stand the thought of losing their model then maybe chess or flower-arranging might be a better option!

timsmile o

Not all have, or ever will have the skills to build even a simple wot 4, ARTFs with there small shortcomings, have given todays influx of flyers a new lease of life, the hobby has moved on, there will always be those who build, and god bless them,

BUT, i have seen witness at every flying field i have been too, of members who have built their own model,and boasted its not one of those ARTF things, well, i have seen brilliant, i have seen mediocore, and i have seen downright dangerous, not all hand built models are gods gift to the flying field, indeed, the %age is low, today, there is a complete repair system in place for the odd crash, we call them spare partswink 2

Oh dear, I seem to have brought down the "Wrath of Khan" upon my head. As I hinted in the first post on this thread ai did worry that I had dared to mention "ARTF" on a forum of dedicated master builders. thinking

Not to worry.........back to the shadows.secret

Alwyn

I can't agree with Alan more, if it wasn'tfor artf's for the most part I woud not have anything to fly. my long term builds are either to valuable to fly as hacks, or too delicate. and it can take years to build a fleet. your cheque book can do it in minutes these days. I think building gets a good chunk of the threads on here because thats what people need help or inspiration with. it doesn't require much information to complete a modern artf apart from perhaps a discussion on where the c of g should go.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 17/03/2012 19:24:58:

I can't agree with Alan more, if it wasn'tfor artf's for the most part I woud not have anything to fly. my long term builds are either to valuable to fly as hacks, or too delicate.

Alwyn,

I'm with Danny and Pete, so there's no need to be even slightly defensive about ARTFs!wink 2

Yes, I love to build, and I love to fly my self-built models at shows and fly-ins. However, as Danny says, at the field I tend to fly ARTFs as everyday hacks. In fact, I'm on my second Seagull PC-9 - it's brilliant, cheap and a firm favourite.

Concur with Peter too. Without the ARTF market there would be no affordable radio gear, motors etc. No hobby at all, I suspect.

tim