TV prog to look out for.

Wingman

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 28/03/2012 09:42:08:

I liked the French loony who fitted "deflectors" to his propellor......would have been interesting if a round had been deflected back at him.....smile o

TBH I couldn't see that there was much possibility of that happening with the angles involved but the interrupter gear was a much more elegant solution.

I could have done with something similar when I lost a tail rotor blade on a heli some years back - it hit a very nice CF main rotor blade and made a nasty mess it - luckily it was in a low hover and it all arrived back on the ground under a measure of control...

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/03/2012 09:59:19

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 28/03/2012 09:42:08:

I liked the French loony who fitted "deflectors" to his propellor......would have been interesting if a round had been deflected back at him.....smile o

Not so "loony" Steve. Malfunctions in the Interupter Gear mechanism led to many pilots shooting off their own propellers. Wiki article

Edit spelling.

Edited By Eamonn Fahey on 28/03/2012 10:09:13

Thats an interesting article Eamonn......I found this bit interesting..

The Lewis gun, used on many early Allied aircraft, proved next to impossible to successfully synchronise due to its open bolt firing cycle. In an open bolt firing cycle, it is impossible to predict the exact time any given round will fire, and for obvious reasons this is an unattractive characteristic in a weapon one is attempting to fire between the spinning blades of a propeller. Photographs of apparently synchronised Lewis gun mountings on RNAS aircraft were probably in fact free firing – hardly a satisfactory solution.

So thats why the SE5 had a Lewis gun mounted on the top wing I guess...I always wondered because by the time the SE5 was launched the interupter gear method was well established....thumbs up

Posted by Martin Harris on 28/03/2012 09:17:09:

I'm sure there's the odd nit that can be picked but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to admit that I wasn't aware that the DH2 had been seen as such an effective response to the "Fokker scourge" although I don't lay claim to any in depth knowledge of WW1.

After a bit of basic research, it seems that the program has missed rather a important point (although I apologise if it's me that missed it) in that the rotary engined DH2 was the successful counter to the Eindekker but was a single seater with a (semi) fixed machine gun and not with a gunner as shown. I believe that the replica is a DH1 which only saw active service in the Middle East if Wikipedia is to be believed?