Algebra 100 CoG?

Advert

Not directly but we can work it out!!

I have an Algebra 100 wing in my shed, been repairing it for a friend. The C of G is not marked on it but I've measured the wing root chord which is a good starting point.

The wing section looks like Eppler 205, very popular for gliders of that era, the chord is 235 mm or 9.25 in. C of G is mostly dependent on tail moment arm but an acknowledged good position for the Eppler 205 is 38% of the root chord (rearwards from the leading edge). Using that I make the C of G 89 mm or 3.5 in aft.

There is some sweepback of the leading edge and the trailing edge is perpendicular to the fuselage, that would have the effect of moving the designed C of G position slightly aft.

I would set the C of G at 3.25 in (82 mm) and give it a hand launch to check that the pitch trim is not a million miles out. I usually get someone else to hand launch untested gliders so that I am immediately on the sticks (it has gone wrong before!!).

It should be slightly nose heavy at that setting (on the safe side) but flyable, next thing to do is launch it (bungee?) and settle it into a reasonable trimmed out cruise. Place the model in a short 30 degree dive and let go of the stick, it should try to pull out of the dive as the tailplane trim will be set to hold the nose up against the nose heavy condition.

If it carries on diving then the C of G is neutral (would add some noseweight for a thermal soarer) and if the dive steepens then it is tail heavy (land it carefully and add more nose weight!!).

Let us know how you get on, cheers.

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the information and calculation. I have used a 'Aircraft Centre of Gravity Calculator' which I came across on t'internet and I've got 3.75"... is it possible that your mate (the one whos wing you are repairing) may be able to confirm? It's far to nice to begger up : )

Thanks again

Simon

No worries!

Funnily enough I spoke to him earlier today, as I suspected he didn't know the C of G position!!

If I had the rest of the aeroplane I could work it out better using a dedicated model glider calculator.

We're in the ballpark between us though, 3.75" sounds reasonable, would set it slightly further forward meself.

I have another friend who is building a 4 metre Algebra, assuming it's the same fuselage and tail the C of G will probably be the same. I know he has the instructions so I'll give him a ping.

GB

Cheers! Well, I've got a few things on the go in the shed but my hands are full transferring our Tiger Moth to an LAA permit at the moment, the paperwork is awesome!!

Err...well....there is the Roger Pullen Medicine Man, a 12 ft wooden glider, one outer wing panel left to build. There's a thread for that on RCG.

Then there is a Flair Baronette which just needs covering and some other bits finishing, short thread for that as well.

But...I've always fancied a Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 and I got one from eBay, cheap as chips, about a month ago. I lost my Xtra Wot last year and it's a replacement for that. Someone gave me an OS Max 90 FSR (two-stroke from the early 90s) which I think will be perfect for it.

I've taken a few photos of the build but it's fairly well covered on the American forums, might post a few piccies on here.

Friend with the big Algebra is going to bring the plan to the flying field tonight.

GB

News from the big Algebra plan is that the C of G is marked on the plan at 'between 37 and 40% of the root chord'.

He did mention that the stab has a flat top surface and cambered undersurface, my MPX Fiesta is like that, seemed to be fad of doing it back then, not sure what the theory was behind that feature.

GB

Hi Simon, I've just checked on the plan of the Algebra 2.5m which is the same as the 100 (unless we're talking about the earlier ripmax Algebra 100) and the CG should be 140 -145mm from the wing root trailing edge with a warning from Mr EMP about having it any further back.

Cheers, Pete

Looks like an EMP one to me, the wing I have in the shed has two panels with polyhedral where it looks like yours are single panel.

The Algebra range confuses me, the earlier ones were completely different and designed by Sean Bannister (I think!), this is an Algebra 7 sloper snapped at an Ivinghoe nostalgia day:

It's possible that they're unrelated and just using the same name?

Had a great evening with my Hi-Phase, calm as a mill pond. Cue gratuitous Hi-Phase piccie!!

Thanks Gary - I had one of those Algebras many moons ago and always wondered why the more recent ones looked nothing like it. I think I decided I must have been dreaming. A thin ply fus if I remember correctly, narrower along the bottom than the top. Mine met it's demise when lent to a friend, he didn't crash it, he shut it in his boot lid!

I have my original Dick Edmonds ply fuz Algebra 100" glider dating back to 1990 - it has lasted better than the plans, although they are still totally legible if not a little curled and brown sad.

I can confirm the root chord is 235mm and the recommended CoG is as stated above at 140 to 145mm from TE at root or 90 to 95mm from the LE. So, the suggested 95mm or 3.75" from LE is spot on.

Enjoy it Simon - mine still flies brilliantly 22 years on. smile d

Oh yes, the inverted aerofoil section on tail plane - this was designed to generate negative lift at speed in a dive, causing the tail plane to pull down, thus gently easing the aircraft out of the dive.

I have Algebra's 800 and a 1000. The quirk on the 1000 is that the tail plane's were both made the same resulting in one generating positive lift negated by the other.

I sucessfully destroyed the Fuz of the 1000 by my lack of experience and constant hitting tera-firma to hard. This took me on another experience as I made a mould and built a fibreglass fuz, however modified for electric. Superb model to fly but I can confirm an absolute nightmare to get all the gear in. It amazed me the ammount of lead in the noze which I replaced by getting the biggest motor/battery combination but still needing lead. Not going to comment about CoG as I find I adjust to what I find comfortable which must be within those mentioned

Despite the wing decal Im sure that the Algebra in Gary's photo isn't an Algebra 7. It's an original 1975 competition thermal soarer version either from the plan published in RCM&E or the kit produced, I think by Micro Mold, in the 1970's. As far as I'm aware it's the only version with a V tail.

The designer, Sean Bannister developed a series of F3B models using the name Algebra up to about version 8.

Sean Bannister with Algebra 7 or 8

This is Sean at the F3B World Championships held at York IIRC 1987ish.

The inverted aerfoil tail was a design feature of the Algebra 2M had nothing to do with being easier to pull out of a dive. The rationale being that since the tailplane would be generating a download in normal flight an inverted airfoil would be more efficient than either a symmetrical or upright aerofoil.

The first EMP Algebra was the 2M as designed by Sean, Dick Edmonds developed this but entirely designed the later gliders that bore the Algebra name.

• 3 months later...
Posted by FunnyFlyer on 24/07/2012 09:36:31:

@PatMc

If that was the World Champs in York - it was 1983.

My goodness - some "looks" just don't stand the test of time....

Model or man ?

BTW Sean was & maybe still is a competitive cyclist & I believe was interviewed on TV just before Bradley Wiggins' triumph in the Tour de France.

• 1 year later...

I can give chapter and verse on the Algebra saga.

Algebra 8 has a glassfibre fuselage; I made the mould and all Sean Bannister's fuselages. I have his original drawing beside me now. The wing section was Eppler 193.

The fuselage manufacture was later handed over to John Hall in Somerset, and he produced the glass fuselages for the various versions of the Algebra 100 series. The fuselages were supplied to Dick Edmonds who manufactured conventional kits which included the fuselage moulding.

Posted by Sodbuster on 17/12/2013 10:28:00:

I can give chapter and verse on the Algebra saga.

Algebra 8 has a glassfibre fuselage; I made the mould and all Sean Bannister's fuselages. I have his original drawing beside me now. The wing section was Eppler 193.

The fuselage manufacture was later handed over to John Hall in Somerset, and he produced the glass fuselages for the various versions of the Algebra 100 series. The fuselages were supplied to Dick Edmonds who manufactured conventional kits which included the fuselage moulding.

As far as I'm aware the EMP Algebras all used a quite different glass fuselage from the original T tail variant. I've got both of them and I'm not aware of any others apart from the ply versions used in both the early Bannister and EMP Algebras respectively. I'd be fascinated to know more though!