flaperons

Rusty C

Advert

Alan

Righto. its just i wouldnt mind a play about with them. the bit of the field i fly from is short enough, its fine when the breeze is on but sometimes i find it coming in real quick.

Whats dangerous about them i know you said wash in but i am not savvy enough to know what that meansblush

Rusty, I found that by just experimenting at a safe height works well. Not sure about your DX6i but on my Futaba set you can mix in some elevator when the flapperon switch is activated.

Its not a fine science and the reaction from one airframe to the next will differ so just do a few low "ish" passes and see what happens. Be prepared to switch back quickly tho .

I have just about got the mixing sorted on my wot 4 and it slows it up nicely in calm conditions.

Justin

yeah that was the plan just to send her up a mistake or two high and muck around. its a wot 4 for me also it seem to come in real quick as its a short approach, I try to keep the nose up to slow her but she just floats along not losing any altitude and sails by me.

Rusty

Rusty

Aside from the above aerodynamic warnings, flapperons are very easy to set up on the Dx6i, servos in aileron and aux, select dual servo wing, dial the amount of flap you want on the switch and elevator compenstaion and thats it. Not done flapperons but I have done spoilerons (ailerons up) on a glider and also Elevator-Flap mixing on an aerobatic model (tighter loops)

Try slowing down withouot them, you will find it will fly a lot slower than you think, it shouldn't be coming in fast, unless you fly it in fast.

Flaperons have their place on some planes, unfortunately on many, they lead to false confidence and a tip stall, with black bag results.

When I first got my Mentor, the instructors said it floated, and just kept going until a go-around was necessary. Flying by myself at the local park, I came in more slowly, it didn't stall, and landed where I wanted in a short distance.

Try some more, slow it down earlier, and it will sink onto the runway very smoothly.

Cheers frank i will try at least set them up. I will maybe pay respect to the warnings for now but worth learn how to set them up.

steve

the approach at the field aint that long and fairly steep which is the cause of this minor problem. Its all good when the wind is sweet, but struggle to slow her when its calm. I know the wot is more than capable of slow flight its just getting it to slow after the nose has been down for a wee bit.

cheers

Rusty

Hi Rusty

I have been using flaperons for about 6 years on my Nigel Hawes Tornado. This model, due to the shape of the wings, has quite a reasonable length of solid trailing edge between the tip, to where the aileron ends, approx 3" . While no expert, i belive this" may" act as wash out? any way, I use flapeon on hand launch, and landing with excellent handling results. I have never had it tip stall, but not pushed it to try. I really love the softer, non ballistic landings.

Would welcome comments on my use of the flaperons as I would like to understand why they work so well (for me)

Graham

Hello again guys. I have managed to set up some flaperons on two settings. setting 1 on the flap switch is at 20 % and offers around 7 mm deflection, Setting 2 with flap switch on is a "mix 2" flap to flap on the mix switch set at 125%

This set up works well on ground so will see how it goes this weekend. I think the two positions will help with the trip into the unknown, even could be a take off and land setting just a speculation.

Cheers

Rusty

I'm not sure what is meant by flaperons? I'm wanting to use a bit of rudder when I'm banking ! I've scoured my Spectrum DX6i manual but I've not been able to identify the procedure. I take it it is possible to do what I'm wanting ??

Hi eric

Yes i also have played with a ail/rud mix but i went to a ail deferential instead. All you need to do is use either mix1 or mix2 assign ail to rudder mix then add the % of mix you want, then just choose a switch you want to use it from.

ps this isnt possible on a Y lead setup

Rusty

Eric, the Dx6i doesn't have a dedicated aileron - rudder mix, but you can use one of the free mixes to set it up very easilly, page 70 in the manual. Basically select mix 1, then aileron as the master channel, rudder as slave, set the direction travel in both directions (not as stupid as it sounds as if you are doing a knife edge mix you want the elevator to move in the same direction regardless of rudder direction), then select if you want it permenantly on or which switch you'd like to activate it, then if you want the master trim to also move the slave control (probably not in this case).

Give it a go, it's very easy.

Posted by Rusty C on 12/04/2012 19:05:30:

Hello again guys. I have managed to set up some flaperons on two settings. setting 1 on the flap switch is at 20 % and offers around 7 mm deflection, Setting 2 with flap switch on is a "mix 2" flap to flap on the mix switch set at 125%

This set up works well on ground so will see how it goes this weekend. I think the two positions will help with the trip into the unknown, even could be a take off and land setting just a speculation.

Cheers

Rusty

The circumstances you describe with your WOT4 should suit flaperons nicely, I'd be very careful with that 2nd setting though Rusty, these are flaperons not air brakes!

If 20% is giving you 7mm then 125% must be giving you an incredible amount of movement that would cause the sort of problems Alan Cantwell was eluding too earlier on.

Flaperons are dual purpose and they have to still be effective as ailerons; the flap element is just to modify the wing shape to give more lift and some drag. The result of deployment being that you can reduce your landing speed and the drag can also help to prevent too much speed gain during the decent but dive brakes they are not.

There will almost certainly be a change in pitch but you will not find out how much or which way until you try it. If it's not much then you can compensate for it on your elevator input. On the other hand if it's a big change you may want to mix in some flap->elevator. I find that apart from any pitch change there are no dramatic effects, the change in lift and speed is more subtle and therefore more controllable than suddenly throwing an anchor out.

I love flaperons, I originally used them on trainers and the Seagull PC9 (original 60" version). I have also used them with the Kavan Partenavia and various gliders, raised to break the lift to get the aeroplane down to about 10-15 feet then lowered for a lovely smooth landing. Generally I would say that the max deflection I use is 30 degrees which I select via a knob to suit the circumstances. It's personal preference but I prefer that to fixed movement ranges of switch position(s) as this allows me to judge how much flap element I need in the same way we judge all other control inputs.

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/04/2012 21:26:10

thanks for that Ian, I was really just playing about I cant ever see me using 125 setting maybe reduce that by some margin.

I think the flaperons sound like a great idea but time will tell. By reading your experiences with them i cant see why this shouldn't work.

I added a small amount of elevator mix to the flap switch but i am really just stabbing in the dark, So i will just have to play about and see what happens.

As for the rotary knobs I think thats a much better way of working, the dx6i is pretty basic but its doing me proud for now, possible upgrade in the summer.

Will let you know how i get on, if its not in a bag then its a winner smile d

Rusty