Ideal trainer - need help choosing plane

Redstorm

hi there, i just would like to add to this subject of my own personnel experience on how i learned to fly. quite simply a good few years ago i bought myself a multiplex easystar and taught myself to fly. yes i had a few crashes along the way but the easystar just glued back together again and i was up and away again in no time. its all electric with a 54 inch wingspan , easy to see and stable to fly in a light wind. would highly recommend it for a starter though it doesnt have an undercarriage, just belly land it in. following this i then progressed onto my first ic trainer which was the excellent hangar 9 alpha 40. i joined a local club where they had a good grass runway and i very quickly learned how to fly off grass and land on wheels. if u want a good cheap starter electric plane the easystar is it. u can buy it as an arf set up or they have just brought it out in rtf format complete with brushless motor. as someone earlier had said the world is your oyster. good luck

Advert

Hi there, I am also just starting to learn to fly using an E-Pioneer. It may look a bit dull but it is a great trainer to learn with, can handle reasonable wind and some spares are available too. My instructor has pulled some aerobatics with it, so it should be OK up to 'A' cert and beyond.

I have 3 batteries which I take to the field so that I am ready for when the instructor has a tuition slot - each battery gives around 7-8 mins for the power train installed, which is enough for me in these early stages. I also use a DX6i which seems to be OK from a flight learning and first TX use point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to flying and just brought a HobbyZone Super Cub to learn to fly but it has to be a very calm wind to fly being a foamy. I had orignally planned to fly the Ben Buckle Super 60 which I am still making but I thought I would be more hacked off if/when crash landing and having to repair the balsa Super 60 after all the hard work and time of building it. The Super Cub is only 3 channel were as the Super 60 is the 4 channel option and I am building that electric powered too. Best of luck on which ever you choose to start with

I looked at the supercub too but decided against it being only 3 channels. Ended up with a Multiplex Mentor and am delighted with her. Had 3 or 4 flights so far including one culminating in a tree landing at 50 feet

Plane survived tree and subsequent drop with almost no damage. Very impressed with multiplex strength and quality. The other thing that is good with the mentor is the size (1600mm) means it is highly visible and can withstand a fair bit of wind meaning you get to fly more often.

The Mentor gets my vote.

Good to hear the Multiplex is working out well for you.. funny you say about flying into a tree as I did this not once but twice today 1st time did no damage, 2nd snapped the wing but I've glued it back together and weather permitting will be flying tomorrow and staying well away from those pesky tree's hopefully