The Quest, no not the Holy Grail, been done

Danny Fenton

Advert

Hi Edwin, I agree that yours looks similar to the Vacher one, my problem is the Bentley drawings show a rather diffrent proportioned item. If you look closely at the picture of the pitot sleeved in the leather you can see under the surface that it is not a constant diameter it is nearly, but the brass colored section in the middle is thicker than either of the two ends. I agree that mine looks too thin, but that was the next size down section of tube. I may revisit, as it doesn't look right to me either.

Here is what I am basing mine on, and as you know the drawings are the reference....the length according to Bentley is correct, however he has drawn the tailwheel reversed on the P-51 so he is not infallible by any means.

dsc_5846 (medium).jpg

dsc_5845 (medium).jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thanks CS, scale models are not about finishing quickly they are about getting them as accurate as you can. Many competition models take much longer than this, and this is not good enough for competition. Dave Knott is building a bigger better Hurricane than his 1/6 competition winning model, which has competed at World Championships (I believe he has 4 years in the build already). It promises to be a cracker when finished.

Besides which I get my pleasure from building and detailing the model, once it's maidened its finished.

I would suggest 5 months on a model like the domino is rather excessive however, but appreciate you have studying to do.....

Hi Edwin, I have quite a few good shots of the Maltese Hurricane, but unfortunately the Port wing is unfinished in all of them, and the pitot missing. They were taken a few years ago perhaps they have made progress on the restoration?

Any information you uncover would be gratefully recieved, in the mean time I may ask the guy restoring a Canadien example, he helped me with the landing light reflector diameter.

Mulling the problem over perhaps as mine is based on R4118, I should amend my pitot to look more like that one, and make reference to the picture on the 3 views. This does mean I will need dimensions of the pitot on R4118. I could use the dimension I have for the vertical support arm and work out the length of the actual pitot head. it is 9 inches on the Spitfire IX so will probably be similar.

Anyway sorry for the rambling thoughts......

Cheers

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

A little more has been done for those that are interested. The wing tips were sealed up with the aileron hinge rod (piano wire) now sealed in forever (I hope). This meant re glassing and making good a small area of the tip.

dsc_5898 (custom) (2).jpg

I am now moving on to the final wing to fuselage fairing, a troublesome section that will need making and forming from lith.

p3310088.jpg

Then its more lights and a couple of trim tabs......how would you make the rudder light and its mounting?

p3310020.jpg

I am starting to make a mental note of remaining jobs, which is a very good sign, as I can only handle short lists in my head smile

Cheers

Danny

Absolutely Chris, not visible in that shot is the U/C legs and doors which have been made too. So it is really coming together nicely now.

I am itching to get the raised panels, and panel lines on, then its on to the rivets. I have trouble keeping my rivets constant sized, so will have to see how well I get on with this one.

I have been thinking that perhaps the idea of this thread has got lost a bit.

The idea was to show what challenge was coming up in the build. I have already lots of ideas about how I am going to tackle these things, sad I know but I fall asleep pondering these things. Sometimes I wake in the morning with a clear idea of how i will do them, mostly not.

The idea of this thread was to perhaps make you think "how would I do that" There is no right or wrong way, and at the end of the day its the individual modellers call on how they tackle it knowing there limitations, and past experience.

Please keep the suggestions coming, all of them are an interesting take on acheiving the same thing, and whether I use them or not, they will almost certainly help others who us the forum.

Cheers

Danny

LOL I wondered who the little guy in the white coat that wondered through ocasionally muttering and clutching a tumbler of pink fluid was...... This is the indoor workshop, I have the garage workshop for the warmer months and for final assembly and spraying, I know I am very lucky and have an understanding wife..... well sometimes at least wink 2

BBC this Hurricane ultimately isn't competition scale, but I am trying to do it as well as I can. Some areas are good enough, but overall the package won't be. Its good practice all the same wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Hi Bob, the led would have to be around 5mm I reckon. I haven't got the accurate dimension.

The high build filler route is an excellent way to go and works well. This is how Dave Platt does lots of detail bits. If you use something like David's P-38 which is a Polyester car filler (I think its the same as Bondo in the US and Australia?) Anyway its sets quite hard in about 60 minutes. however after about 10 - 15 minutes however it is like cheese and very easy to carve. This would be the time to get this roughly to size.

Masking the portion you want exposed by masking would work.

How about the pressed aluminium panels attaching the molding to the rudder, any thoughts as to how you would tackle that?

Cheers

danny

Okay while pondering the tail-light assembly, thought I would sort out the pull down foot step, the model is upside down in case you are struggling with orientation lol

dsc_5906 (medium).jpg

Made from lith, chemi-wood and heated styrene rod. Not sure how long that will last on the underside of the fus!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/01/2013 23:13:35