Flycam One version 2

Chris Hornby wrote (see)

I am flying my flycamone2 in South Africa at the moment. No problems with temperature and it is as good as gold. I will try and post some footage soon

CHris

I imagine the temperature is just lovely!  Take it easy now Chris it must be time to turn the meat on the barbie already Just think of us poor wotnots roughing it over here in Blighty winter eh! Look forward to seeing the SA footage you get..

I bought the Flycamone V2 for Christmas, and have had all the problems, from turning off in flight, wobble images, and wierd colours, this was with a £20 2GB HIGH SPEED SD CARD from PC World. I have now just bought the FLYCAMONE - 2GB HIGH SPEED SD CARD from Robotbirds with total success, even in very cold conditions. I am now one happy chappy.

Kevvy.

Link to my movie over Johannesburg (model) International airport

http://www.rcmovie.de/view_video.php?viewkey=757c71b88be8adbfd10e

I have come up with my first problem: Soundtrack recording fine but out of sync with video which stops before the sound. Guess I need that high speed card, but strange that I havnt come across it before.

Oh well, back to the boerewors on the braai I guess!

Chris

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about getting a flycam2 but not sure now as it seems to have a lot of bugs still to be sorted. When searching for a supplier I found a number of outlets but I also came across http://www.curverc.co.uk/buynow.htm# who sells an interface to remotely activate the flycam2 in flight!! Has anyone seen or purchased this and does it work?

Products: CurveRC FCO2 I/F

Description

The CurveRC FCO2 I/F is a tiny lightweight device (approx 4g) using a programmable microcontroller. Designed and made in the UK, the CurveRC FCO2 I/F connects to a spare channel on your Rx (or an existing channel using a Y-lead) and allows you to control the Flycamone V2 shutter from a spare switch or slider on your Tx. In this way, you can take multiple video recordings or still photos during a single flight. The CurveRC FCO2 I/F connects directly to the 4-pin connector in the Flycamone V2 mount, eliminating the need for any additional connectors or adaptors. In this way an extremely neat and compact remote shutter solution can be achieved.

Features

The FCO2 I/F includes RED and GREEN leds to give visual feedback of RECORD and READY modes. In addition, 3 different versions of the CurveRC FCO2 I/F are available which allow external power at 5V DC to be supplied to the Flycamone V2, either from a separate battery pack/BEC or from the on-board 5V BEC supply within the ESC (for an electric model). In this way, the operating time of the Flycamone V2 can be extended.

All this for under £10 including p&p (UK First Class) ..how to buy..

How it works

The CurveRC FCO2 I/F calibrates itself automatically to the Rx output corresponding to the spare channel slider or 2/3way switch on the Tx.

Hi there Ian - yes over 200 CurveRC interfaces shipped around the world all thus far to satisfied customers, contact me if you have any Qs if you're interested in ordering one. Alternatively if you're thinking of ordering the camera too then Robotbirds are doing a special deal price on the camera plus the CurveRC interface with SD card.

hope this helps

regards

Jason

www.curverc.co.uk 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

regarding the flycam1 ver 2. i cannot get it to work properly at all i have tried updates, sixty twelve diffrent types of sd card even 150x high speed 1gb.  i have tried on diffrent models with no luck.

the main pain is that it works ok when being hand held or testing on my bench?  but when i put it in any of my planes / helis electric and glow 2.4 ghz i lose half the video and the sound is out of sync and some dayglow colours.  i have just emailed Acme and lets face it that company never didnt any good for that poor koyote did they so i personally think this item should not have been released unit they go it to work properly and not just in a lab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A high speed card is marked "High Speed" or HP. They are more expensive but I find that my FCO2 is rock solid reliable when using one, whereas if I put a standard SD card in I get the following issues:

Slow Motion, video stops before sound, no sound synch, etc.

So, yes I would say that using a HP card makes all the difference. To be fair to Acme, they DO say use a high speed card.

Chris

Hi, I slope soar with the flycamone. Inevitably the lugs broke and it is now taped together. Also bought the remote interface from Jason at curve. This is a great piece of kit. My main problem is what i term jittery videos. Looks like i have frozen a frame. (This gets even worse when flying with a kite). The strange thing is the video clips which jittered work fine when played with "quick time".  But quick time cant be edited in windows movie maker. I guess i will have to buy a "fast" sd card.  There is still a problem with lighting. Taking still with the remote is great although positioning in the sky is a bit hit or miss.  All i have to do now is package up the spaghetti of trailing wires! I found recharging is best on a separate usb recharger ( Maplin). This way i dont need to leave the pc switched on.

Has anyone else solved this jittery video problem?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everybody,My veiws on the flycam2 are, what a load of rubbish,I have tried the cam hot and cold have fitted it to a plane run the engine held the plane in all directions and every thing ok ,but take off and fly although the cam shows it is recording, nothing on the card. and another club member has exactly the same problem. for those of you who are having success BRC advertise a unit to plug into the receiver to remotely switch on and off  for £8.99 I would not recomend this cam to anybody.

Hi, I assume you have downloaded the latest update for it as this allows you to invert videos before taking them. No need then to invert with quick time pro or windows movie maker. I use the "UP" setting for taking videos. I also have the remote adapter from Curve. Works really well.  To view sample video go to http://www.vimeo.com/1182628 regards Bob

Different question that I don't think's been covered.

My mate's been playing with his FlycamOne 2.
(nothing to do with model aircraft).

He says that he's bought a rapid rush 2 GB card, but it only records for 1 hour and 31 seconds, and a file size of 566Mb. (every time he tests it).

Does anyone know if this is a limit of the machine itself?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have two Flycamone2's and I can't get either one to take power through the baseplate. The external shutter works fine using port 1 and 2, and I'm using the latest firmware (3.03).

The backup plan: someone on another forum wrote that it's possible to provide power through the usb port. Anyone know how you do this without the camera getting locked in the pc or webcam mode?

Thanks,
Zach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been taking pictures and videos from model planes for several years, using whatever camera/camcorder digital/analogue etc happened to be available. This is my first foray into the world of FlyCamOne, and I find (contrary to some posts previously in this forum thread) that it works just fine. Yes, I had the "camera switches itself off" syndrome, but a combination of a good charge and using the remote control lead seems to have cured that. It's a nice little unit, easy to use and I'd recommend it to anyone, apart from one thing which I've not had before in other systems using digital camcorders. The photo I took today shows (video has the same problem)............

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/28231/PICT0009.JPG

Yes, that strut on the Cessna Skylane is actually straight, and yes the wing LE is also straight in real life! So I have a bad case of vibration??!! The Cessna is using an OS FS61 and the wobbles are worst at mid revs. At high power there is a small amount of wobble, and at idle it virtually disappears. The Cam was sitting on the basic Velcro mount attached to a plywood cabin deck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce vibration when using an i.c. engine?