Flycam One version 2

Thanks Michael - interesting comments from the forum.  I presume that forum is at the FlyCamOne website is it?  I always find it hard to know exactly what they are saying when the translation to English is a bit "iffy"!

From your comments David re. the lipo dying in the cold it seems that this is a widespread problem.  I wonder if keeping the camera really warm, say at 25 degrees C or something similar, immediately prior to attaching it to the model would keep enough heat in there by thermal inertia to give a decent duration?  Trouble is of course that there is a fair airflow over the camera during flight, so the "wind-chill" is quite high.  I find it a great shame as it's a real drawback in an otherwise very useful bit of kit.  My own experience today with not being able to get external power working is another blow!

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Yes, this is from the FlyCamOne2 forum on their website.  The English is a bit unclear.

If you look on the forum, in both the English and German parts, you will see many people are experiencing problems with the cold.  It is not clear if it is the lipo, and/or components, as some people have tried using external power supplies to the camera and still had the same problems.

I overcome the wind chill problem by putting the camera into a shirt pocket, next to a lighter fuel powered hand warmer, until ready to use.  Since doing this I have not had the problem of the video shutting off prematurely.  I have also attached some foam to the camera, which will insulate it and gives some protection.

I connected the Flycam LiPo directly to a 5v feed from an ESC BEC to try and resolve the cold weather problems. I trialled it flying at 5 Celcius and it made no difference, still sufferering the "stopping video" problem.

I still believe the problems to be cold related, but more probably camera components rather than the battery.

You can read on the Flycam forum in more detail here... http://www.flycamone2.com/index.php?id=8&L=3

Go to forum, then "International Inquiries & requests". I'm "Westy" on the thread titled "Operation in cold weather"

Kev. 

Seems like there are definately some issues with this new version.....a bit crude it may have been, but at least the old flycam1 seemed to actually work ok.

My version 1 has actually been returned to robotbirds due to broken slide switch ( broke on first use ) and I am still awaiting a response.

Hi All, Just got my FCO2 this week and am just about to bin it.I know i'm an (old fossel and ancient relic according to my children). I can't get it to work YET,put it on to charge for 3 hrs as requested swithed on as per FCO (Flycamone). It appears it should not be switched on, but why no charge light? I am now charging again, I hope.

But with all the trouble people are having I am by no means the only one.pity really could be a good piece of kit if sorted before production. I think a lot of us are being ripped off.

I have a video on you tube  (Flycamone) edited and posted by my step son,  will try and find the link so you can have a look

Bill.

Hi David

I know it's over two weeks since you posted this, but forgive me as I have only just spotted your reference to Windows Movie Player not responding to your efforts to rotate your Fly Cam 2 picture.

I didn't think WMP was that sort of prog., but that's maybe because I am a Paint Shop Pro addict, having used it for yonks.  It started out with me as a 1.44 floppy (2 off) installation, so you can tell how long ago that was, and now (I have version 7, which must be getting ancient) it weighs in at 45 MB.

My point is (in case you are wondering!!) it happily rotates FC1 pics, and I cannot remember a time when I could not do something outrageous with a photograph with this program.

However, I suppose by now you have got used to putting the camera on the right way round!!

The only wobble I get from my flycamone on my gws tiger moth is the tossing about in the wind, apart from that I think its pretty vibration free. It is fitted on top of the top wing as per wing walker pattern.I find this a very good way to get video's, as long as the camera is placed at the correct C of G the plane still flys very well. I have made a small balsa wood frame and taped it in the upright position in the centre of the wing,with a slight tilt forward and it still misses the prop field of vision,

Unfortunately still lots of wind and rain so no flying as yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, i have been on the flycam website, cant post on there for some reason, had a prob with cold weather operation, when camera mounted on my jet. Ok down to minus 2 degs when stationary but fails after 2.5 mins on plane. Many people having same prob. I flew yesterday, no probs at all, even in the rain.

I fitted a heater circuit powered by a AAA battery. Opened the case and placed 6.5 inche length of resistance wire up the side from bottom of case, half way up then bent 90 degs inwards, then 90 degrees up, then around the LCD and back the same, exit out the bottom. Covered the wire with small strip of insulation tape. Closed case. Wire heats to 38 degs for @ 50 mins. I also wrapped the camera in some underfloor insulation, with ally side to camera case and 1.5 mm polysterene on outside, then covered everything in electric insulation tape. With heater on 1 min before flight and powered during flight, perfect. On fourth flight, left battery out for flight, perfect, so could be insulation keeping cam warm, or may be insulation keeping cold air out.

Could some one please post this up on the flyacm website, under cold weather operation problems, i would really appreciate it. many thanx Tim

Hi Tim,

I have posted it for you on the FCO forum.

Out of interest, what gauge wire did you use? 50 mins from a AAA is excellent.

One thing to bear in mind is that you are putting a heater near to a Lipo battery - could cause a fire risk, especially if the insulation tape melts and the wire shorts.  I wonder if heat shrink would be safer?

I had better success with keeping the camera warm, and covering it in insulation.

Someone I know has bought the FCO Rapid Rush SD card and says he has had better results with it than his previous SD card.. though it also coincides with warmer weather here!