Flycam One version 2

Just got a Flycam One Version 2 from Robotbirds and been trying to post a new review. Cant work out to do it though! (even though I have submitted previous reviews!)

Anyway it is an excellent piece of kit and improves upon version one in the following ways:

Doesnt need a mirror! The lens is movable and can even be servo controlled.

The white (green) balance problem has been overcome and the exposure metering is better.

There is external power and control connections (so far undocumented)

It can take endless still frames every 3 seconds at max resolution. This is a BIG plus.

The resolution is higher 480 lines video and 1280x1024 stills

There is an LCD screen to show what the camera is doing.

Controls are accessible when camera is mounted on the plane.

I have flown a small parkflyer (E-Flite Gypsy) round the Portland Bill Lighthouse and filmed using this camera. It is Youtube so does not show the full resolution but if you are interested it is at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9AYepNX9o

Oh yes, If anyone from the management is reading this. I cant remember how to post a review!

Chris

Chris

You can do as Timbo does and leave a long thread with pictures or send me a pic of the item and I'll put it in the products section so you can leave comments there.Failing that send me a word document with some picture of the item and perhaps some photos or video and I'll put an article together for the site.

[email protected]

Super bit of video by the way - I'll nick it for the video section ...

Portland is a bit like the moon. A lot of rock has been removed to build the world's palaces and monuments! Also Portland Bill gets a lot of visitors and has a problem with foot erosion. There are many interesting aerial views on the Island and I hope to document some of them from RC during the breaks in the weather.

Chris

Chris...what an excellent review ! My original flycamone was replaced as it went duff, but the replacement broke almost immediately ( the fiddly little slide switch was jamming in use and just snapped off ) The supplier says he will "see what he can do"....but I am still waiting a material result IYSWIM. I shall suggest the latest version as a replacement me thinks, it sounds much improved.

Hi Timbo

Would'nt be Robot birds by any chance? I got the version 2 a couple of weeks ago.  Charged it up - switched it on - nothing. Spoke to them - long story short - practically accused me of breaking it! Returned it Imediately - still not heard anything since. Can'nt comment on it yet - hav'nt got that far! Me thinks will ring them in a couple of days

Al

Well yes actually, but to be fair, after the first one packed up, despite it being used hard, they replaced it immediately much to my pleasant surprise. I even wrote and complimented him on his excellent customer service

The replacement one broke almost immediately ( slide switch as mentioned ) and when I emailed again, he said he was in China on business, and would see what he could sort out on his return. That was months agao, so I emailed again about a week or so ago, and have heard nothing. Another email was sent about 5 mins ago.

I have been lucky with my flycamone, so far it has remained intact but as you say the switch arrangement is flimsy. But to be fair some concessions needed to be made I guess to get the weight down below an ounce! The flycamone2 switch seems a little more robust but then it weighs half as much again.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, got my Flycamone V2 a few weeks ago, but haven't got any aerial shots yet. One thing that bothers me is that there appears to be no way to tell when the cam is fully charged. On the original, it had a green light, but there's nothing on this one. No mention in the instructions (for what they're worth) either.

As is often the case, Microsoft have designed a way to make a simple task hard, especially the means of discovering the method to use !!

Tools menu, click “Video Effects”. To rotate the video to the right, drag the “Rotate 90” video effect and drop it onto the movie on the timeline - to rotate to the left, drag the “Rotate 270” video effect and drop onto the clip on the timeline.  Save .

I download the FlyOneCam2 driver from their WEB site.    My virus scanner detected WIN32:ADWARE-GEN when opening STK02NK.exe so I stopped the installation.     Has anyone else had problems when installing the driver?     Anyone tried the external power and remote control? I couldn't get it work.      Otherwise camera working as expected.

Hi Vince

I have a bit of an issue with that ref the external power. My FlyOneCam2 was returned to Robot Birds as it was'nt working. I added a power supply but that did'nt fire it up either. Granted Robot Birds returned the unit 2 weeks later and it works fine.   Im not sure if it has been repaired or a replacement unit. There was no explanation of what was wrong.

However before I returned the unit - the conversation I had with the company that I had'nt blown it up or connected incorrectly   - they commented that if you do not get the polarity right that you will Knacker it! However the guy went on to comment  that there is a special lead for the external power supply but the hav'nt got them in yet.

On looking on their website - the manufacturers website'nt looked since - reading the instructions (with a magnifying Glass!) I can see no mention of this special lead for the external supply. That was 3 weeks ago and I hav'nt looked since.

Can anybody else throw any light on this subject? or am I missing something?

Al

i cannot get my flycamone v2  to work as a webcam even with the driver installed so i have'nt bothered i have a webcam anyway so its not a major problem. but on the other hand it should work if the feature is on the cam.

i saw the mention of an external pwr lead but don't really need that feature so if one comes up in the future i might consider it. i took it that you needed to wire one yourself.

nasa

Dave, another way is to choose video effects and then "Mirror vertical".

<idiot mode>I decided to fly mine on my new "Chinook". It got carried away on the wind into a housing estate and try as I might couldnt retrieve it. So somewhere on Portland there is a brand new chinook with flycam2. Reward for its retrieval </idiot>