Flycam One version 2

That is a cracking video. I have been using a Multipod for over a year and was a bit worried about the quality of the FlyCam 2 in case I had to replace the Multipod which is no longer available. You've proved the quality is A1. Thanks. If I can figure out how to submit videos I may just do that thing!

I have a flycamone2, and I have had some problems with it.  Generally I find the quality disappointing; my videos are not the same quality as Chris'.

The other problem that I have had (which is very common if you look at the flycamone forum http://www.flycamone2.com/index.php?id=8&L=3) is that the video switches itself off in the middle of recording.  Temperature seems to be a factor in this; the video switches off more quickly when cold.

The camera is also fussy about which SD cards it will work with - the first one I tried was fine with video, but not with creating jpegs, which were unreadable by any software.

I have also been unable to install the driver and firmware updates from the manufacturer's website.

The concept of the camera is great; lightweight, movable lens, choice of still and video, but in practice it does not deliver and until the problems with it are fixed I would not recommend it.

i've had the same problems it seems that the flycamone does not like cold weather as once mine has been out of the car for a while it only records in slow motion for some wierd reason. to be honest i think it really still needs some work before its a viable user friendly unit at the moment it looks a bit expesnive and lacking in features that should be there but don't work shame and a waste of £40 in my eyes.

nasa

I am beginning to think that the quality might be variable as I have suffered few of the above faults. I have had the camera stop recording during a flight but that was because the battery went low voltage. I agree that there should be a battery state warning on the camera, also some sort of indication that it is actually charging correctly.

I have had the slow motion syndrome once, but it didnt happen again. I thought it was because it was a huge file (I left the device on for several flights) but maybe, you are right, it might have something to do with temperature.

I have found the video quality to be good, but the still images to be poor in low light.

Maybe temperature is a factor, I havnt really tested it in cold conditions I prefer to stay indoors. My lighthouse video, although recorded in December, was a very warm day.

I am taking the camera to South Africa in Feb so I will see how it performs in the warmth and light!

Overall I am very pleased, maybe mine was not made on a Friday!

Chris

I tried my flycamone2 for the first time today on my T Rex 450. when I went to stop the recording by pressing the stop button - it would'nt stop. It was quite chilly on the old hands today so I was'nt hanging about.  So I switched it off by the main switch.  Result - no recording - it just erased it on the memory card! DOHHH! I was looking forward to seeing the results - so I wont do that again!

I managed to get two successful 'shoots' with the camera today, one video (17 min 40s) and one using the 1 photo every 4 seconds function (12 mins). The first time I have had two sessions without the camera stopping halfway through one of them.

I kept the unit very warm by putting it into my shirt pocket next to a hand warmer (lighter fuel powered and gets hot!) until just before use.

I got the Flycamone 2 for Christmas, and went for a fly just outside my house. I was very pleased with the video. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUrGULYxYg 

Since then i have tried two more times up our local club, without success. The camera turned off in flight after about 30 seconds, I've had very slow video play with normal sound. It has been very cold , so maybe that could be the problem.

Kevvy.

ACME have just posted a link to a video on their forum, at the end of the video there is a caption 'Use the FCO2 only for short video recordings while temperature is very low.  Internal battery might be damaged due to low temperature!'

Shame there is no such warning on the packaging or in the manual.

Acme say the folowing on their site, so maybe it is a good idea to check the SD card:

a slow card can have different effects:
- recording stops after some seconds/minutes
- recording si not fluid
- Audio and Video not  synchronious
- stop recording is not possible

Also they released a firmware patch, dunno if it fixes anything but should allow you to switch the cam on and off in flight:

Driver installation FCO2 firmware update 1.1 - 2007/12/17

External start and stop using contacts 1&3 of the base plate.

1. Install file STKO2N 2.O

2. Connect the FCO2 in "WC-Mode" with the included USB-Cable to your Computer.  

3. Download program will be open, you can use to download the FCO2 files.
   Close this window!

4. Start the program STK02NU.
   Select:
   DRAM: 0X35
   DRAM SIZE: 8M

5. After approx. 90 secs program gives feed back! Update sucessful

6. A short contact of connectors 1 and 3 will start or stop the recording - or release one picture.

Remove the file due to "installing" the program again.

Hi Ray

Once you get the delete { dl } up, i just press the middle button an i get [ ] , then my whole card is deleted. Could the echo be a card problem ?

Kevvy.

Cheers Kevvy. will check card

By the way had an e-mail from  Flycam who intend to provide a connector lead from reciever  to camera in the near future.

Prior to flycam2 I strapped a digital cam to a mark 1 Twin star  - why not take a look at the results

Ray

http://groups.msn.com/raysairshots/shoebox.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/raysairshots/shoebox.msnw

Nice photos Ray, I particularly like the maze shots.  The quality is good too.  I couldn't view the some of the photos.

Other ways to delete all the files are to connect the FCO2 to your PC in PC mode and use Windows Explorer (assuming you've got PC not Mac!), and  delete the files as you would in any other drive.

Alternatively you can use free formatting software http://www.sdcard.org/about/downloads/ which will also format the cards, which  is a good idea.  The software is free and easy to use.

Thought you might like to see how I modified the connector to take a standard JXT 3S lipo balance lead. I just nibbled away the plastic with a pair of flat-nosed pliers, and removed the two flat guide strips from the rear of the plug.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/aerofly2/P1000234.jpg

Fits nice and tight. Haven't actually tried it yet, so I don't know if it'll show the problems others are having.

Steve

Tim,

I haven't tried using external power, but on the flycamone forum a couple of people have connected external power via the usb socket.

On the Forum ACME say that they will be releasing a firmware update that will

' solve following:

- closing recording before bat gets too week
- better quality in indoor/darker environment (WC/Video)
- non stopable failure due longer recordings
- additional low resolution mode (VL/SL) works
- external release (pins 1 and 3) and external power (pin 4: 5V+(>350mAH)/pin 3: earth) battary gets charged while connected - works'

So this may solve the problem you have been having.