Not just one but two!!

Just maidened 2 planes today. Nothing too special. Just an ARTF Wot 4 Mk2 and a Black Horse Matrix. The Wot 4 is fitted with a Jen 57 and the Matrix has an OS 91 FX in it. The Wot flew well from the off, just a couple of clicks of up trim. The Matrix needed quite a bit of down trim but on checking the model it has just about leveled the elevator out. So I probably didn't eyeball it flat that well to start with.

I was very pleased with both planessmiley. I got them to replace my Wot 4 XL that went in about a month agosad. It was a nice afternoon at the strip today. It did start to get a bit breezey so I just had 2 flights with each one and called it a day. I think I'll need a bit more rudder throw on the Matrix so a longer servo arm will be needed. I reckon I'll be having a lot of fun with these modelssmiley

Andy

Advert

I think it's the right engine for plane. This is the second one I've had. Lost the first to what I believe to be the battery disconnecting during some hard aeros. I fitted a 91 4 stroke in the first one but it flew around like a trainer! So I stuck a 91 2 stroke I had lying around in it an it just sprung to life. So this one got the 2 stroke in it from the start. It flew very well out the box. I was a bit nervous about the maidens as I hadn't flown for about 3 weeks. So the Wot got it firstcheeky. That was very spritely on the Jen 57.

Andy

Posted by Turbycat on 19/05/2012 21:24:04:
I think I'll need a bit more rudder throw on the Matrix so a longer servo arm will be needed. I reckon I'll be having a lot of fun with these modelssmiley

Andy

Alternatively, can you move the clevis a couple of holes closer to the rudder surface? If so, that saves fitting a longer servo arm.

Pete

Been messing with both planes in the workshop (read garage!) today. I tried to get more rudder on the matrix using the adjustment available but it wasn't going to give me enough. Fortunately I had long alloy servo arm in my box 'o' bits. So that was fitted and now have lots of rudder. Might be needing some expo on it or I might just tie it in to the dual rates along with the elevator and ailerons.

The Wot 4 got its rudder and elevator throws increased. Easily enough using the fittings on the plane. I must admit my Jen 57 doesn't like to pick up cleanly from idle, it always seems a bit hesitant. Now I have fiddled with the bottom end but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I might get a bit more running out of it and try again at a later date. It really does generate some oomph on full throttle tho'. Now to wait for a nice bit of weather during the week to get them in the air again.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

My Irvine .53 is very sensitive to high speed needle setting. Basically it won't pick up cleanly from idle unless the needle is 2 to 3 clicks rich from optimum.

It might be due to a too lean low speed needle, but I haven't fiddled with that, as the right high speed position is giving me smooth transition, and fabulous top speed.

The Matrix flies beautifully. It is very easy to fly and the low speed handling is excellent. It will bite and flick if use large inputs at a slow speed. I've got a 91 2 stroke up front and that pulls vertically out of site. I am so pleased with it I am considering getting a 26cc petrol size Sbach 342 when I get bit more competent with it, but I have also have a hankering for my first warbird and would like a 26cc sized Hurricaneindecision!

Jo, I'm normally pretty lucky in that I get plenty of time off of work. I work 12 hour shifts, so it's just 3 days one week and 4 the next. However, at the moment we have 2 people on holiday and one has left so we're 3 people down this month. That means working almost straight through this month and most of next one too!!sad Then we'll have the stupid olympics to contend with so th e begining of August will be silly too!

Andy