OUCH! A lucky escape

Peter Miller

I started up my new model and while I was still in front of it my assistant began adjusting the needle valve which was set very rich.

The OS FS 40 Surpass threw the prop which hit me on the arm and chest.

Luckily I was wearing three layers including a thick fleece but I ended up with a nasty bruise on the arm and a lesser on on the chest.

That is a two P piece. I was lucky, it could have been a hospital job. My big flight box has the starter built in and I am always behind the model but I use the small box most of the time as it is a long way from the pits to the car.

At least the bruise on the chest got a laugh because it reminded me of the old song

"Oh what a pity, she's only one titty to feed the baby on.

Poor little bugger's only one udder to chomp his teeth upon"

Advert

Ouch !

I had an incident tuesday night, a fella plugged in his foam-e and buzzed the engine up, he had it on a high table about chest height, facing me & about 6' to my right, I heard it turned to see what it was & promptly moved out of the way, as I didn't fancy having it in my chest or face.

What was even more worrying was about 2 mins after he got it in the air the motor came loose & became detached then came out the front !!!!!!!

Very lucky escape there. In the last couple of months my 46fx has thrown the prop twice. First time was my own fault as I had not tightened up the securing bolt on the back of the exhaust and when vibration slowly work its magic the engine threw the back end of the exhaust off and the engine must have run backwards as the prop got thrown some 15 meters, I was at the back of the model at the time.

Second time when I was starting the engine. the prop just jumped off on to the floor.

Well at least you only got some bruises on your arm and chest. Got away with it.

Mike

I get fussy git looks when i insist on watchers getting behind the prop at the field, but having seen a lot worse accident than Peters, i will continue looking after their welfare, i can also remember a young hot shot being told, by a friend, that the 62cc motor he was running,had 6 bolts in the prop driver, and he was using only three, and they where stainless steel, looks of disparity went his direction, just 10 minutes later, the bolts sheared, and the prop flew about 80foot, now this would have HURT!! it was a 22x10 menz, always get behind the thing, as Peter shows, it makes sense,, no matter what size, my worse prop bite to date came from a cox black widow 049cc!!!! but that was my fault, not the motor

allways go behind the engine as soon as she starts, ran my TT130 im my pitts last month, was my own fault but left the plug driver on and just as she reached full power she dackfired and threw the prop, it went off like a rocket towards the stream, everyone was saying the same things....ooo that was lucky!!! errr no just good habits !!!