Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

Advert

I picked up a little used Acrowot ARTF last weekend.Spent the day doing minor repairs and slight modifying to my own taste and took it to the field on Sunday.My collegue Mike assisted me in setting the model up as I had no instruction book.As he has one himself and had flown this patricular model he took off first and handed the controls to me.It is fitted with a new OS 55 AX and can only be described as sensational.I took to it instantly and enjoyed 3 superb flights.Very imoressed with the model and engine and have just returned from my second day at the field more impressed than ever.Fun in bucketfulls

• 1 month later...

Posted by Robert Welford on 05/07/2012 12:52:01:

dsc00138.jpg

here's mine with a laser 80,It really a tight squeeze but i think in the ARF version will fit good too

regards

daniel

Has anyone worked out a good way of installing a Laser 70/80 in an Acro Wot ARTF?

It appears that the cowl is only 125mm long and a 6mm (ideally 10mm overlap) is required.The Laser 80 is 127mm from prop driver to carburettor.

The instructions state a distance of 120mm from thrust wedge to prop driver. Removing some of the thickness of the wedge will help, but the engine will still be too long. The carb and silencer cold be recessed into the firewall? Possibly use a false firewall installed to get the engine back further?

Any ideas appreciated. Robert.

Edited By Robert Welford on 05/07/2012 12:55:53

My GEN57 with GEN Pitts Silencer fits nicely in the Cowl.

As this is a light engine I needed 10oz of lead and 6volt battery under the tank to achieve recommended CofG.

This setup gives me good vertical performance, as the engine becomes more Run-in the Idle is coming down and it is getting easier to land. I am using an APC 12x7 Prop.

Regards

Bob

How strange. I was just about to post about my build, which had its first 2 flights yesterday. First off, the wing joining was a bit of a mare. If you lined it up out of the box, the trailing edge did not line up, and the leading edges were MILES out! I opened up the hole at the rear to allow the edges to match up, then eyeballed the leading edge. I just about got the leading edge lined up so the incidence is ok. I now have a step under the wing at the join, and the tabs are not at all in line. Not very satisfactory. I will use a strip of the spare yellow in the kit to tidy it up.

I have fitted an Irvine 53 up front, but needed a 12mm spacer between the engine and silencer to avoid chopping the fuselage up. I was anticipating an issue getting the cg so hatched a plan. I swapped the heavy-ish elevator pushrod and the closed loop for two golden rods. I also moved the servos forward, as per the pic. The rx pack is stuffed under the tank with the foam to hold it in place. Having done all this, without the cowl I managed to get the cg at 86mm, a few mill back from the recommended. This is without any extra weight!

Had two flights yesterday, the first needed a fair bit of up and right trim. Second flight was fine, just getting the feel for what I wanted to do with the control movements. The cg was ok, a whiff of down needed for inverted and ok. With the cowl on it will probably be just about right. I also need to check the lateral balance, and I'm wondering if a tad less downthrust might help me get rid of the up trim. It was a bit breezy yesterday, which it handled ok but I was surprised now docile the stall was, it didn't seem to really stall at all! A nod forward. It may not be quite so kind in a lower wind. It slowed down fine for landing, I am using a 12x6 so its not fast flat out but helps on landing.

Apart from the wing issue and quite a lot of ironing work, not bad at all.

Posted by stuey on 20/10/2013 16:34:50:
The fuselage is wider, otherwise about the same. I think you could move the firewall on the kit builds. You wouldnt happen to be related to a Darren Bloomfield by chance?

yes you can move the firewall back to about 1inch on the kit build if i'm write. i didn't done that on mine and i was worried that the model will come very nose heavy with the laser up front. to my surprise i was wrong. i balanced perfectly and its total weight is 6lbs spot on. covered with tissue and dope.

• 5 months later...
Posted by Daniel Cardona on 12/10/2013 23:28:21:

Posted by Robert Welford on 05/07/2012 12:52:01:

dsc00138.jpg

here's mine with a laser 80,It really a tight squeeze but i think in the ARF version will fit good too

regards

daniel

Has anyone worked out a good way of installing a Laser 70/80 in an Acro Wot ARTF?

It appears that the cowl is only 125mm long and a 6mm (ideally 10mm overlap) is required.The Laser 80 is 127mm from prop driver to carburettor.

The instructions state a distance of 120mm from thrust wedge to prop driver. Removing some of the thickness of the wedge will help, but the engine will still be too long. The carb and silencer cold be recessed into the firewall? Possibly use a false firewall installed to get the engine back further?

Any ideas appreciated. Robert.

Edited By Robert Welford on 05/07/2012 12:55:53

The Laser 80 is a fair bit larger than the 70 almost the same as my late model 90, the 70 however will fit the artf acro with just a little mod for the carb

imga0999.jpg

imga0995.jpg

not bad, but that carb is a bit close ?

imga0997.jpg

think a bit of cut n' shut needed

i also start the engine by hand but sometimes i prime the engine with the aid of the kill switch on the transmitter, but now that i remember my kit build Acro wot has a narrow fuselage so the carb on the laser 80 is more protruding out from the fuselage side. power wise with the all up weight at 6lbs spot on is perfect . takeoffs are at a bit more than half throttle,plenty of power for aerobatics with plenty for reserve if needed, it's a perfect combination. I'm sure it will go well even with a old laser 75, in fact i was planning to use that one but when i realized that it weights just a bit less than the laser 80 i decided to use the 80.

i dont remember what's the size of the prop but i used what's recommended from the laser engine instructions

regards

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am quite new to the world of rc planes, i was hoping to buy the acro wot mk2 and i was wondering whether it would be easy enough to fly for a beginner, also i have no idea what servos and engine to put inside it as i don't really understand all the numbers and things with the engine and servos, any help with finding something would be great thanks!