Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

I have one of these waiting to be assembled so I have read through this thread with interest. I have just checked the wing bolts and did find one of the claw nuts to be threadless so they will be changed. I also checked the component weights which indicate a flying weight of 6lb 5 oz when it is fitted with the planned OS FSa-72 to this may have to be added the balancing weight.

I had one of the early Acro Wots in the 80's which I flew on a OS FS90 and quite enjoyed it so I thought another as a sports flyer would be nice and was tempted by this ARTF version.

Advert

Posted by Greybeard on 27/01/2013 10:44:01:

I have one of these waiting to be assembled so I have read through this thread with interest. I have just checked the wing bolts and did find one of the claw nuts to be threadless so they will be changed. I also checked the component weights which indicate a flying weight of 6lb 5 oz when it is fitted with the planned OS FSa-72 to this may have to be added the balancing weight.

I had one of the early Acro Wots in the 80's which I flew on a OS FS90 and quite enjoyed it so I thought another as a sports flyer would be nice and was tempted by this ARTF version.

The ARTF version goes together ok the only fiddley thing was trying to feed the closed loop wires for the rudder down the fuselage in the end i used the inner of a long snake and feed that down the fuselage first then screwed the end of the loop into it and pulled it through. Changed my mind about the .61 and fitted a .52 instead so we will see how we go.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally finished assembling mine.

I made a couple of minor changes to try and lighten the rear end. I couldn’t see the point of having adjustments for the rudder and elevator at the back as well as the front so got rid of those; only grams I know but there is quite a multiplication moment at work.

Checking the balance at the midpoint of the range shows that I still have to add 100 grams of nose weight which will result in a flying weight of 2785 grams or 6lb 2oz in old English.

Not too bad but still about 500 grams more than it need be in my opinion.

Posted by Mark a on 06/02/2013 13:44:26:

i did fit the SC .61 to it in the end just waiting for the weather to improve before i give it its maiden flight.

Put the Acro on the CofG machine and its bang on 83mm from the leading edge just as the manual states good job i fited the .61 no weight needed.

My ARTF Acrowot now has an OS 61FX two stroke and flies perfect with that engine. No lead needed up front. I previously had an OS 70FS four stroke and it felt a bit lacking in power plus I needed about 120 grams of lead up front. Mine has been through the mill, wing cracked in half, smashed cowl and recently the undercarriage plywood mounting plate started to peel apart needing a complete new plate made up from 6mm ply.

After all the repairs its flying great now. See repair photos here...

Posted by Mark a on 16/02/2013 19:20:08:

Taking mine for its maiden flight tomorrow can't wait.

Well the Acro flew ok even with a 10mph cross wind. I think i do need to add a bit of weight to the front as the c of g was very neutral but apart from that all was ok.

I was orignally going to put my ASP .75 two stroke in the Acro, but then I got a Twist 60, so I was going to take the Irvine .53 from the Wot4, as it goes vetically out of sight.

However with the prop/rpm combination the static thrust and expected speeds are withing 5mph of each other, but the Wot4 seems much faster, and its the unlimed vertical that I'm really missing with the Acrowot. The ASP 91FS in the Acro is going great now, and I'm having just as much fun with the Acro as the Wot4.

A Saito 115 would probably give you all the fun you could handle, but an ASP 91 two stroke is about 1/3 the price, and would be ballistic. More powerful servos required methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Acro Wot out for some fun today. Since i added 60g of weight to the front it fly's like its on rails great stuff on a bum note smashed the Wot 4 up a bit today ripped off the wheels and the bottom of the fuselage due to a very heavy landing.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Maiden my acro the other day and i found that i needed left aileron trim but once it was trimmed it flew beautifully, incidently mine is powered with OS46 AX seems to fly effortlessly, however i did find the wing bolts didnt have enough 'bite' when tighten, so i didnt do any fancy stuff 'just in case', not happy with the bolts i carefully removed the blind nuts and replaced them with some decent ones. i dont know if anybody have come across this.

Waiting for some decent weather now.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Acrowot for about a year and I land over a fence with only a single briar in 50 yards but it found it. I was lucky the nylon bolts sheard as they should on both the undercarriage and wing,no damage.. I would always replace steel bolts with nylon.. Mine seemed to fit ok.What a state of the weather, I am sure last year a few hardy (pensioners flew virtually every week during the winter. I started my winter building in October because of the weather so will have to maiden a DB Cirrus Moth,retro Gangster63,,a Galaxy Musketeer and a plan built Comet from the late 40,s Just hope the gods look favourably soon I can,t afford to build another . Hard up pensioner with lots of time.

I have yet to maiden mine due to a number of factors such as a trip to a warm climate for assurance that there is some heat left on this planet, but I digress for the purpose of this post is to ask how others prevent there model resembling a wrinkled prune after a couple of weeks in storage?

Keep seeing mention of the captive nuts for the wing mounting. This was (thankfully) highlighted very early on in this post. And the first job I did was to replace them.

The thread is too shallow and they should be replaced.

Surely the manufacturers should have cured the problem by now.

Maybee someone should tell them ?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out to finalise set up of my Acrowot. I had my first flights. I am not the best of flyers but this is a sheer delight. Flies like on rails. Tracks true whilst taxiing too. Just does not want to come down. Needs plenty of space to land. Floats like a trainer. A bit of wind and she just floats on.