Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

Percy - thanks for these additional tips.

Pre-adding a stiff member to the snake outer would have put me in the same position really as just using the rigid, wooden dowel linkage provided. I wanted to try the Sullivan system, but only discovered the flex (on push) after it was installed, and didn't fancy the idea of a sloppy elevator linkage in the air!

I went for the heavier 3800mAh pack as earlier posts in this thread as well as David Ashby's 2012 review ( http://www.astramodel.cz/manualy/ripmax/ripmax_A-CF006_Review.pdf ) indicated considerable tail-heaviness in the airframe as manufactured and the need for loads of nose-weight. As it happens my AUW of 6lb 4oz, including almost 2oz of tail-lead, is still under the 6lb 10oz of David Ashby's model with the same engine, plus I get longer between charges.

Justin, Steve - thanks for this most helpful advice. My TX is a the new-ish (black) Spektrum DX7 so all sorts of programming and mixing options are available.

So far I've set up a three-position switch (same one as I use for electric for consistency) with throttle closed on two positions and active (from general idle onwards) only on the last one. I do like the idea of a slower idle for landings, so can easily re-programme for fast and slow idles.

Failsafe is currently set up for level flight and to cut engine altogether, but I really like the suggestion for engine idle rather than cut-off. (If there is a controversy here, then my own view is that an uncontrolled plane is no more dangerous with an idling engine than with a dead one, plus a plane with an idling engine can be more easily flown to safety once signal is re-established after a brownout.)

Also, re slowing for landings, our patch isn't huge - plus there are too-frequently mole-hills to avoid - so I've followed a suggestion much earlier in this thread and programmed in a mix of slight down 'flaperons' with a tad of up elevator to produce a slight nose-up attitude. When I eventually get to maiden (today was perfect but had to be cancelled due to stuff from... err... the Missus), I'll fine-tune this at height!

Cheers for all the help

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 11/12/2016 18:09:36

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

Posted by KEVIN CAMILLERI on 08/01/2017 19:57:59:
Hi all.. I would like to buy rhe acrowot and fit an os 55ax .. Do any one know how much balance weight needed to have good cg? Is a good thing to move the servos to reduce balance weight? Thanks
​depends on how heavy your servos are, what battery you use ect. Just build as per instructions. If it finishes a little tail heavy just add some stick on weights near the front. It will fly great.

I've just completed an ARTF Acro Wot with a 70FS up front and servos in tray provided. With a 2000mAh battery under the tank in the forward compartment, 50g of tail-weight was needed to get balance bang on the specified CG. I'm now going to move the battery aft to the compartment above the wing and hope to lose most of this added tail-weight.

Your engine is likely to be lighter than mine (?), and assuming everything else is the same (i.e. an ARTF from the same production batch), then your battery position is your control - although its a faff moving it about, so putting up with a marginally heavy model by using stick-on-weights is certainly the easier option.

If you do position the servos one bay forward, then ditch the supplied elevator linkage doweling and use a snake - see a few posts up.

Had about half a dozen low-rates flights now over the last couple of weeks. Really really pleased with this as my first IC sports, and impressed with the wide speed range (ASP 70FS). Our patch is pretty ugly at the moment with molehills and sheep-shit everywhere, but the AW handled the rough ground brilliantly, especially as I fitted 3" low-bounce wheels. Been experimenting with slow-speed landings in little wind and more than happy with the stability and certainty. Also been tooling around trying basic aerobatics (plus a few prop-hangs... the kid... such an animal... he put me up to it!) and my confidence is increasing with each flight! On the ground, at various throttle settings, a full 10oz tank will give me 17mins, but I've set my timer to 12mins in the air - almost double what I used to get with the electric foam Riot I trained on - which more than enough.

Yesterday had a two hour window between fog events. Only thing I struggled with a bit was seeing the upper wing clearly enough at distance when the conditions became a tad murkier later in the afternoon. White on white doesn't really work. Might wrap a 4" band of black Solatrim around the both surfaces of the wings at half-span, roughly in line with the black aileron servos.

Jon

Posted by David Davis on 09/01/2017 08:02:15:

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a Laser 80 in mine. I know that this will involve cutting the cowling about a fair bit but I was hoping that the extra weight of the engine will reduce the need for tail weight.

Has anybody tried this combination?

​I have a laser 70 in mine. It balances out with no weights added with a 4.8v battery under the fuel tank.

David - I'm just doing the winter service on my Acrowot, this will be it's third year as my everyday model (you may remember seeing it at Forton). It has an SC70fs, a perfect match for the airframe, never missed a beat, and needs no additional weight with the battery amidships. I would think the Laser70 rather than the 80 would be the way to go.

Posted by David P Williams on 09/01/2017 18:17:34:

No idea Bill - it just flies really nicely. Does the weight matter?

I'm interested in knowing as I'd like to compare the AUW of a 70fs setup to a 6s brushless installation, and I'm also curious about the wing loading.

I had an OS 55 in my ARTF Acrowot, it was great! I've now put the OS55 in my Wot 4 and use was using a Satio 82 in the Acrowot, which was even better, until a radio failure caused it's early demise!

Don't get my wrong, the OS is a great match for the Acrowot, more than enough power, I just prefer the lazy torque of a 4 stroke and the noise that they make, performance is probably comparable though.

Posted by Bill_B on 09/01/2017 17:45:26:

For those using a .70fs, what is the flying weight of your Acrowots?

ARTF now with no extra lead, 92oz, 22 oz/sq ft, easily enough power with ASP 70FS, 12-15 min flight times with a 10oz tank, flies perfectly on the specified balance point.

Posted by David P Williams on 09/01/2017 12:58:35:

David - I'm just doing the winter service on my Acrowot, this will be it's third year as my everyday model (you may remember seeing it at Forton). It has an SC70fs, a perfect match for the airframe, never missed a beat, and needs no additional weight with the battery amidships. I would think the Laser70 rather than the 80 would be the way to go.

OK Laser 70 it is.

I may be calling in again to Forton in the Spring or early Summer. I am just in the process of buying a house. It needs a kitchen and some insulation and prices for those things are much cheaper in England than in France, but I won't have sufficient room in the two-tonner for an Acrowot. Guess I'll have to manage with the Foam-E WOT 4! smiley.

Posted by Jonathan M on 09/01/2017 21:55:06:
Posted by Bill_B on 09/01/2017 17:45:26:

For those using a .70fs, what is the flying weight of your Acrowots?

ARTF now with no extra lead, 92oz, 22 oz/sq ft, easily enough power with ASP 70FS, 12-15 min flight times with a 10oz tank, flies perfectly on the specified balance point.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan. thumbs up

No probs Bill, but just to note that I made a couple of minor errors in my earlier post (which I can no longer edit).

My final weight (having swapped to a smaller battery and lost 2oz of tail-lead) is now in fact 94oz. Wing area is actually 640 sq in, so loading is 21oz/sqft.

According to Chris Foss' website, the original IC kit is a slightly smaller 594 sq in, with weights between 80 and 90oz depending on engine, thus loadings of between 19 and 22 oz/sqft.