Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

i ve just put one of these together with an sc46 fitted. As everyone else i had to add weight on the front even to acheive the most rearward c of g.

Today i ve been playing with the c of g and got it back to 100mm which feels just about right. and improves handling no end. My nose weight is now down to about 5oz instead of the origonal 8 i had

hi

I have had my acrowot artf now for a couple of weeks. I bought it to convert to electric and it is my second plane the other being a trainer.

I have been flying rc planes for about eight months so not yet very good.

anyway back to the point, I have used a tornado thumper 3548/5 motor on a 4s 5000ma swinging an APCE 12X6 prop. (getting 770W at 50A motor doesn't get hot at all even though its pretty much maxed out)

The battery tray, I have used a small strip of mdf mounted on blocks. this runs from the front bulkhead right through to the servo tray. I haven't made a hatch (don't want to weaken anything besides its only two screws holding the wing on) but I must find a way to isolate the battery without removing the wing, thinking of wiring a deans plug in series on the live side out through the side and another deans with the pins shorted on the outside.

The Motor mount, I made a stand off bulkhead using 4mm threaded rod screwed into engine mount holes backed up by locking nuts into a piece of 15mm ply again backed up by more locking nuts, this makes it easy to adjust for length and thrust line. initial setup using vernier callipers equal lengths from engine wedge. Then just mounted the motor directly to ply and esc behind ply hanging off threaded rods with wire ties. (Had to use 200g stick on weights from my local tyre fitters which were stuck on to the ply bulkhead)

I haven't made any other mods to the airframe from stock.

i have some pics here **LINK**

Hi all

Thanks for your interesting comments.

just binned a mustang and will be replacing it with an acrowot artf at the nats this weekend.

I have a wot 4 now on floats which flies very well from water. This has a Super Tigre 61 ringed in it.

Guess what the engine from the mustang is going in my acowot.... You guessed a super tiger 61.

Should be good as due to it's weight I should only need 4oz of lead up front not the 8oz reported in the RCME review.

We also have an acrowot just built from a kit bought some time ago ready for test flying. This has a LASER 75 in it. Should be interesting.

Message for Mike Button - Excellent conversion and great pictures on your link. I have sent you a PM which you can access via box (your account) top left.

All the best with it - mines going pretty strong especially as I have worked out how to reduce some of that extra weight up front (not much but every little counts!)

Hi all,

Got my artf acrowot at the NATS on Saturday. Just unpacked it and am looking for the mounting points for the wing servos. This is not clear in the instructions. Even holding the wing up to a strong light is not much help. Anyone with advice? Dont want to start cutting covering in the wrong place.

Have changed my mind about the engine. Not going to use the Saito 61. Weight would help but silencer is huge and ugly. Instead have purchased a Saiti 80. Thought of a Laser but they are too long to. Fit nicely.