Fairchild PT19 with gorgeous OS 4 cylinder inline engine

Tim Mackey

My clubmate and tug partner Will Bertoni finally finished his lovely big (114" span 35 lb AUW ) PT19, and did the maiden yesterday down at our strip. It turned out to be rather hairy, needing a lot of right trim on roll, and proved a bit tail heavy as well! Will did manage to get it down unharmed, and will now attend to the trim issues before attempting another flight. The beautiful IL300 OS engine started, ran, and sounded really sweet. I filmed the flight and its shown here. There also a couple of other clips if you click to go straight to my U Tube channel you will find them alngside the maiden flight one.

OS IL300, 50cc. Will has converted his to petrol.

il300.jpg

Edited By Tim Mackey on 20/06/2012 10:09:52

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/06/2012 00:45:50

Advert

Posted by Jim Carss on 20/06/2012 10:36:10:

Very nice indeed,what a sound and a very scale like flight

Hi Jim, it was not pretty in the flesh TBH, very hairy at a few points, and certainly needs the COG sorting, we all thought she was going in a few times, and Will was lucky to be wearing brown trousersfrown

He did very well to get her down in one pieceyes

I was darting between camera and trim buttons on Will's trannie shame about the "Chase heli" making such a noise. Here's a few shots.

Edited By Ultymate on 20/06/2012 11:05:09

Edited By Ultymate on 20/06/2012 11:20:36

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/06/2012 00:50:13

You can get the proper image by right clicking and choose open in "new tab" but what a pain !!!

TIm's obviously got the knack cus that shot of the engine is one of mine he's nicked and that's not got distorted

Edited By Ultymate on 20/06/2012 11:24:42

Posted by Ultymate on 20/06/2012 11:06:21:

Why are my pics distorted ?? this forum has soooo many quirks !!

Since they changed the platform, picture posting has definately got harder, and I now resort to inserting them into my album on here, rather than linking to photobucket.

As Martins says....simply left clicking on your pics makes them correct.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 20/06/2012 15:23:55

Skilful flying, well done. Would have loved to hear more of that engine.

Images, whether loaded from an album or not can have their size edited after attaching by clicking on the image, then on the "image Button". Reduce the width of the image to 350 pixels then it will not distort. Make sure the padlock next to the size field is closed first.

600 pixels wide:

In Flight

350 pixels wide:

In Flight

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/06/2012 23:41:39

Hello Tim,

I've spent many hours looking at Youtube rc videos over a fag and a coffee and I have to say that your clip, above, is the best one I've seen, so far. Every twist and turn the Fairchild was making and the efforts Will was making to fly it and bring it in were all there. Even when the model was some distance away and very small you could still see how it was flying because you could gauge its movements against the horizon.

Unlike the majority of RCM&E videos, I'm sorry to say, where the camera person seems obsessed with the zoom button and usually tries to get the model to fill the frame resulting in it being out-of-focus and bouncing around, and off, the screen.

OK, sometimes the model was just a tad too far away and a smidgen too small but, overall, the effect was superb. If this had been a demo video, instead of the difficult maiden of a precious model, then I'm sure you could have choreographed it with the pilot, beforehand, to keep the model closer in etc etc. If you ever decide to trade up from your keyfob job and get a "proper" video camera, use the zoom button only very judiciously.

I've wittered about this, before, so I didn't particularly want to bang on about it, yet again, but I just had to congratulate you on a rivetting bit of film work. Your under-the-breath comments (just be careful not to get too carried away!) simply added to the drama.

Ian

LOL yes, sorry about the "under the breath" commentary, but what you see is the raw file(s) with no editing at all, and there really were some hairy moments during this flight, and Will - the owner and pilot - is to be congratulated for keeping his pants clean throughout!

Obviously the little fob cams have a tiny fixed focal length lens, hence the model appearing a tad small sometimes, Will was obviously was taking things very carefully, hence the big wide circuits - any inclination to bank it too steeply would definately have resulted in a stall, and subsequently very likely a spin into the ground.

Thanks for the nice comments face 1