Grinning!

Hi All,

My first post, although Ive lurked for a while!

A long time ago, 28 years to be precise, I built and flew a few planes, my favourite a glider with a 2 mt wingspan, launched from a bungee. I also had one of the first electric trainers, a cessna 172. It didnt fly too well - I think it was because the batteries were nearly the size of a small shed. Anyway, life moved on, and other things got in the way. A few weeks ago my wife bought me a Hawk sky foam 4 channel trainer. I flew her last week, but was quite rusty. It's a good job they bounce!

Anyway, last night the wind had dropped to a gentle breeze so I headed to my local field. Checked and reched everything and off she went, straight and level. I banked her right, and immediately lost her in the blinding sun and came to earth nose first. The wings came apart, but having read a few other forums, they are held together with velcro, and designed to part on impact. At least that bit worked!

I put the wings back on, checked everything again and launched her again, this time doing some left hand circuits. Took her up to 300' or so and let her glide, and it was really satisfying. Thats when the grinning started! Brought her in on a wide approach at about 50', but hadn't allowed for the breeze and just how floaty the plane is, and so it just sailed by at about 6' above the ground right accross the field. Applied 50% throttle and took her round again, this time lower and managed a perfect landing, just a few feet away. I decided that it wasnt going to get better than that, and went home.

I've seen the thread about the addictiveness of this hobby, and my wife will vouch that the rest of the evening was spent just smiling

I've read a lot of useful info on here, and would like to thank all that contribute. I'm also waiting for a keyfob camera (#16) to arrive from Hong Kong so I can play with that as well!

I hope to be a frequent poster here as I get to grips with all things electric and I may bother some of you as I progress and upgrade etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble.

Martin

Advert

Posted by Tony Richardson on 26/06/2012 15:07:18:

Wish my Wife flew as well as yours Martin wink 2teeth 2thumbs up welcome to the forum, and I am sure you will cotton on to the humour that abounds here along with all the advice and help.

I did wonder about calling the plane a "she" !!

Hi Martin and welcome,

That's it, your addicted and there is no cure, well I haven't found one yet (thankfully).

I haven't been flying that long and like yourself came home with a big grin on my face yesterday after nailing a couple of landings. I have got a couple of planes to maiden just as soon as the weather improves so the old face muscles had better be ready for another workout. However, I do have a box of tissues handy just in case things don't go that well.

Look farward to hearing from you again soon.

Posted by Tony Richardson on 28/06/2012 05:41:30:

What part of Essex are you from Martin it is where I was born and raised to the tender age of 27 before moving to this side of the world.

Keep up the good flying, soon you will find there are so many models and so little time it can and does become very addictive

Born and bred in Romford, now living in Goodmayes, Ilford. I keep planning our escpe to the country, but not quite the right time...!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the weather has been frustrating, to say the least. I finally managed to get out again last night as the wind had dropped to a safe level. I had mounted a keyfob camera to the nose and to compensate, I'd moved the battery back a bit, however after the first flight it was evident that the c.o.g was too far back. After a perfect landing in front of a couple of kids on their bikes (think " smug look" at this point) I moved the battery back, and had 2 really good flights... until the rain came sad

My 1 concern is that the brushless motor sounds a bit "rough". I had read that the stock motors are prone to give up sooner rather than later on these planes , so I might be upgrading in the near future.

Other than that, I'm well chuffed.

Edited By Mart49 on 10/07/2012 10:48:02

Hi Martin,

Congrats on your return. I`m not far from you and If you have not done so already you might want to consider joining a club. There are two near to you. Dagenham MFC and Brettons MFC. Dagenham club fly at Central Park and Bretons MFC fly at Bretons Farm, Rainham. I fly at Bretons and its a very friendly club. We have a facebook page **LINK**

Maybe see you there smiley

Hi Hogster

Funny enough, I've sent numerous emails to the contact on the Dagenham club site, but had no reply. I wondered if they were still in existence, as I used to wander over there some 30 years ago and watch them fly!

I was just saying to a collegue that I need to join a club - not sure what they might think if I turn up with a foamie with own brand tx though? That said, and new tx is top of the upgrade list!

Might come along to Bretons soon. Cheers, Mart