Top Flite Spitfire Build (1st RC Build kit)

Hello All,

Im new to the forum as you can see from my post counts.

This is my first RC build i am undertaking and I am hoping it will teach me alot when it comes to building and assembly.

I will not be flying the model until i feel i have the necessary skills to safely and succesfuly do so.

Anyway Heres the details of the build:

- Top Flite Spitfire 1/7 Scale

- Not to sure on engine yet? Topflite recommend .60 & .91

- Retracts will be fitted, again not too sure on type?

The Kit arrived today from TJD Models, who i must say were very good! cannot recommend enough!

I will add images on my next post when i go through parts and check everythings there.

Advert

Hmmm, this will certainly be a challenge. I would have suggested something a lot simpler for a first build like this (my SLEC Funfly, my first build)

Part Built

Different angle

Or a Wot 4 or Peter Miller Harlequin. But I'm sure with all the help you can get here on the forum you should be alright, just take your time, read through the instructions a lot and measure twice, cut once etc.

As for flying, the natural progression would be...

Trainer. Once you can get it up and down,

Sport plane, like a Wot 4 or the Funfly above. Once confident,

3rd plane. Biplane maybe, a more challenging sport plane, and then

Warbirds. Spitfire, WW1 or 2 planes.

So be prepared to have to wait a while before you fly your Spit. You can always get a more experienced flyer to fly with you. Don't be put off, you sound like you know what you are doing which is always good. This is the route which I have taken, and it is easier for me with my Dad at my side (I am 15).

Have fun, hope this helps!

CS

PS. I'll try not to put any pictures of Concorde on this thread. Somehow I always manage to.

Nickaliath. I would also advise not building the spitfire first. The topflite kits are good but do require you have some understanding of model building. If this is your first build of any model there will be tools you need that as I learned also need skill to use. I built a Whizza from a plan and brought all the balsa, control snakes, horns etc. This helped me understand how to build and allowed me to make mistakes. If I did I could buy some more wood and try again. I glad I did this as it helped me with the P47 There was a lot I did not understand with the P47. I followed advice from other builders and glad I did as I could have just left the build and shelved it.

Edited By MikeS on 13/07/2012 19:35:33

Fair enough it was only an idea.

Anyway heres the progress Pics so far:

As you can see from the images i have joined the stab sheets together, just got to wait until they dry tomorow. They are already glued pretty well but want to make sure there properly hardened before fitting to stab core.

Stab core is built also as can be seen in images.

So far kit seems to be pretty good quality and quite easy to follow.

Ive been thinking about the exhaust system from the engine and would like to build one that has the same amount of outlets as the original spitfire coming out from the original location. I know this will be difficult but would be a worthy addition to the build.

This should be very interesting to follow, you have indeed jumped in at the deep end, but what the heck you wouldn't be the first!

I would just echo what others have said, try and stick to the way that TopFlite have designed this. Moving away from the plan is fraught with perils and lengthens the build consierably. Remember weight is the enemy, especially at the back end. Don't go made with heavy glues. A gram added to the tail could mean 10g that will be needed to balance at the front. It soon mounts up. So accurate joints and less glue.

As for the exhaust system I should save that thought for a larger model, though no doubt you will need the noseweight, its the potential power loss that would worry me.

Good luck wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Some good work there on the rear stab. Looks good and clean. The spit can be tail heavy but with careful use of the glue's this can be restricted.

What engine are going for with this?

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 16/07/2012 22:18:16

Nice start on what I'm sure willl be a good build. Top Flight make very good kits.

I know you have heard this before but please don't attempt to learn to fly with this model. It will end in tears. Once it is in the air it won't betoo much of a problem. Getting it up and down is another matter. I still struggle with my warbird landings even after a few years flying behind me. Get a trainer.

I look forward to the seeing the rest of the build.

Im building the top flite p-51 also 60 size, and planning on using either a dle 20, ngh 17 or similar petrol engine, as Martin says the extra weight comes in usefull up front, but also petrol is much cheaper and lasts a lot longer than glow fuel too

I have an ngh 17 already in a 60-90 size edge and it powers it around great, a 12 oz dubro tank probably could last over 20 mins, I usually land after about 12 mins but theres still plenty of fuel in the tank, running it in for an hour in 15 min stages, at around 3000 rpm, didnt even use a full tank !