Lipo Incendiary

No problems yet with my LiPo's have 3 off 2s1p & 3 off 3s1p, only started back in September so havn't used them that much probably only put about 20 cycles on 2 of the 2s1p's at the most.

I do use a dedicated balance charger, which is virtually fool proof and my ESC's are LiPo compatible as well so I guess that helps.

Cheers

Tom

I tried several electric planes. Tried the cheap and nasty lipo's from the bay of E - no good - didnt last very long, tried some Tornado 3200's in an Acromaster - one failed after only about 20 flights. Sent back to Overlander who very kindly replaced it  with a 3700, now the other 3200 has decided to give up the ghost.  None of these batteries have been run at anything close to their limits and always charged with a good lipo charger and then balanced.  Given up with battery power now - gone back to good old glow.  Sounds better too!     Whoever heard of a warbird whistling?

Dunno if this is relevant but I was taking a 1700MaH 20C 3s lipo out of one of the booms of my Bronco and it started fizzing and giving off clouds of smoke. As I was in my office at the time,  I threw it outside (boom and all) and it shot a sheet of flame out of the side. If it wasnt actually an explosion, it came close! see:

http://domains-20.com/459up5m9i3r/flights.htm

Yes but do we really know WHY it started to ignite? It's my guess that it must have had some sort of short on the power leads, or even the balancer wiring, cuased perhaps by straining, or contacts crossing etc. Perhaps there was some physical damage? I just cant see that it is going to simply spontaneously combust without cause, the fact that it was sitting there minding its own business and NOT "fizzing" shows that your distubing things started the problem, and if indeed it WAS a shorting out or faulty wires /insulation or similar....then ANY electrical battery could have caused a similar ignition and subsequent fire. I am not meaning to sound critical here Chris, just illustrating the facts. PS sorry to hear about the loss of the model

PPS the picture title says it was a 2000 mah pack, NOT a 1700 ?

Timbo 

It was definitely me disturbing it, I was peeling it off the Velcro, must have distorted it or something. It wasnt connected to anything, there was the balancing connector and a female Deans connector. It was a bit of a tight fit, so I wont do that again. I like electric Flight and this wont put me off. I was just trying to illustrate that it is possible to get careless with Lipos through familiarity.

At present I am putting together a YT Stuka, and using 6S 6000MaH pack. That would be a firework display, I guess, so I will have to be careful!

Sorry it was a 1700, must have been thinking about something else!

As for the model, Only one boom is damaged, and I have got another complete Bronco powered by 2x OS30 FS

Thanks for the constructive comments

Chris

The only Lipos that I ever leave in an airframe are the small capacity 2s radio packs in my 2 slope soarers....just because they are a pig to get out, forming as they do part of the required nose weight.

These are only ever slow charged (.25C ) which is 300m/a, and only then whilst I am in attendance.

I know I should really take them out and put them in my Lipo safe when not in use, but I just have not got room for them all anymore ( 50+ packs in total now )

• 2 weeks later...

To date I have only had one swollen pack,  a very old 1st generation 2s 10c pack. I have lost count of the number of flights with this and similar generation packs. As would be expected performance is nothing to write home about but then again I am a slowie golden oldie and happy to potter around the sky.

I regard shorts as the biggest danger we face and have shorted two batteries, one a LiPo and the other a Li-Ion, with completely different consequences. The most recent was a LiPo, reverse connection to ESC, which naturally blew the controller but also wrecked the middle cell of the 3s battery. Stupidity, but no dire consequences other than to my pocket. The other was several years ago with a first generation 2s 1200maH Li-Ion fitted with a small BEC type plug which I always struggled to grip and disconnect. After testing an installation I removed the battery and laid it aside. On smelling burning I checked the battery to find it intensely hot and the pins bare and touching. I had obviously pulled on the wires and not the socket and pulled the pins from the mounting. I immediately separated the cause of the short . As I pondered my next move I noticed the end start to glow and was then almost deafed by a violent explosion which left my ears ringing for half an hour. These Li-Ions were encased in thin metal with open ends and the effect was that of a shotgun cartridge. To cut a long story short I ended up with a very expensive insurance claim for scorch marks on a carpet due to the shower of intensely hot filmy debris ejected from the open end but very fortunately escaped injury.

The point of the Li-Ion story is that the battery continued to self destruct even after the cause of the short was removed, presumably thermal runaway. I would imagine the same would be the case with a LiPoly except that the battery would combust rather than explode as with the Li-Ion? 

In spite of these experiences I will still continue to use LiPos but try to take the precautions as outlined in the safety leaflets which accompany batteries when purchased. My own home grown precautions are to always charge with the battery sitting in a metallic container placed on  a large ceramic floor tile. I store and transport batteries in plastic containers inside steel cash boxes which can sometimes be purchased cheaply, especially if the retailer has lost the key. The cash boxes are placed inside a large metal document box. However I am human and still make mistakes as evidenced by my recent wrong polarity error.

Apologies for the over long post but hope the content is relevant.

What ever happened to exploding Ni Cads?

I remember them well, complete with photographs and warnings regarding the toxicity of the cadmium.

Apparently if you leave your tin can (remove baked beans first) and sulphuric acid cell on the bench to long the bottom will rot out. The resulting puddle could easily dissolve your pet dog!

Any comments or personal experience.

Erfolg