Advert

well the Phoenix is assembled, and as this was only my second model, I learnt a few things along the way surprise - like don't link up the servos to the flaps before powering up the servos so they can centre themselves!

I installed a UBEC without any sparks. I saw online where someone had soldered a male and female deans connectors together, then soldered the UBEC to their join, so that you can now move the UBEC between models without any hassle. And it works Just got to put a few stickers on and we'll await some suitable weather for the maiden.

Well, having worked out how to get the phoenix into the car, she was maidened this afternnon. Almost a non-event. Half throttle, climbed straight to around 400', reduced power and levelled off. Brought her down for a pass at about 30' (she's quite fast!!) and took her up again, this time trying the flaps at hieght to see what had happend. I had programmed some down down elevator when flicking on the flaps, but probably too much - I dont think it needed any down at all. Anyway 5 or 6 circuits and the kids started to complain that they were cold, so lined her up into the wind, dropped the flaps at around 30' high, and she slowed right down for proper good landing. My kids were on video duty, and I think I have a lot of cloud and sky footage, but I think my 8 year old got the landing. I'll have and edit and put on the 'tube!

Posted by David Gilder on 31/07/2012 02:44:23:

Well, As I said, there are now pics of the model flying!!

Here she is just as I have launched!! As you can see, she climbs out nicely!!!!

100_0544.jpg

And a pic I took as Ian Jones brought her in for a lovely landing after having a "trial flight".

100_0540.jpg

As I said, I have fitted the flaps adn have to say I am very impressed with them.

When dropped, the model almost stops dead in the air so allows for a nice controlled approach with them being got rid of just prior to rounding out, or, in a breeze work great for those harrier landings (as witnessed at the R&DMFC Aerowtow Flyin on Sunday!!)

So there we have it.

Dont delay, Get one today!!! lol

wink

On the subject of flaps.. Do you have them on a switch so they're "on or off"? and how much down elevator compensation did you end up with? Do you use up aileron as well, with the flaps down? Also did you use the Y leads for both ailerons and flaps? I'm just waiting on delivery of mine from HK.. sounds like a beltin' model!

Cheers!

Hydeflyer it depends on the capabilities of your transmitter.

On my P2000 I have two positions for flaps (half and full) and use a tiny bit of down ele compensation with them. They are on a Y lead.

Ailerons have to be on separate channels though. Because they can be switched to go up when flaps go down (crow).

I also have another three position switch that raises or lowers all four surfaces a little at the same time, this gives a camber change for loitering in lift, or getting a move on to leave an area of sink.

None of it's absolutely necessary, but it's fun to play with

I've chosen to have mine either On or OFF, actually on the "gear" channel, but I could also have put them on a dial, to have a variable amount of flap. I havent played with crow yet - I'm quite happy with plain ol' flaps.

I did have 20% down elevator mixed in with the flaps, but this was too much, so when I get out next I'm going to try without any and see what happens.

I would second what Chris says......it depends how capable your Tx is

I have mine set up so the flaps/ailerons move on a three position switch....this gives me normal where all control surfaces are central.....a bit of reflex (surfaces raised about 1mm) & camber (surfaces lowered about 1mm)....you can certainly tell a difference...she gets a bit of a move on in Reflex mode.

On my Tx (Fuby 10C) I can switch the throttle stick between controlling the motor speed & applying CROW braking (ailerons up....flaps down). The amount of stick movement controls the amount of CROW applied. I've mixed "some" down into this CROW braking to compensate....

As Chris says none of this is really necessary....its a cheap foamy glider at the end of the day but it is good fun. And at the end of the day that's what it's all about....teeth 2

Thanks for the fantastic and detailed replies!

My Tx is quite sophisticated (HiTec Eclipse 7) and I will play about with it when the model arrives.

Interesting that Steve can switch his Tx from throttle to Crow.. that must be very useful. I'll check mine for that option.

I'm not a very experienced pilot and this model will be mainly used for our club's flat field glider comps, and what I'm mainly interested in is slowing the landing down. Getting it into a 10m radius circle might be quite a challenge!

Posted by Hydeflyer on 06/03/2013 14:35:57:

Interesting that Steve can switch his Tx from throttle to Crow.. that must be very useful. I'll check mine for that option.

The Crow brakes are very effective but work in a slightly counter intuitive way to me......fully open crow is with the stick fully back (motor off) & closed is fully forwards (full throttle)....I can see the logic in this but it means that if you flick the switch with the motor off you get full crow......so you have to have a good chunk of power on before hitting the switch which turns the motor off & allows you to start applying some braking.....so you speed up before you slow down....

Overshooting is interesting too......you've got full brake on & think "No I'll go around" so you have to hit the switch & then throttle up or you can put the brakes away & hit the switch which then means to go from nothing to almost full power...

Its probably just me but I would think that stick back for zero throttle AND zero brakes would make more sense. That way you could go from gliding to "ready to brake" by flicking a switch & from lots of brake to power on overshoot by flicking it back again....

Steve - it is logical on a glider with only crow and no throttle, or a Full size with them on different controls. If/When I get a P2000 I will be thinking about doing throttle on the normal stick and crow on a thumb slider on the side of my 8FG. as part of the programming I'll have the throttle being fully closed as the activation for the crow, so if i suddenly throttle up the brakes will close and I can re-sort the position of the slider once I'm safely aware from terra firma!