Multiplex Easyglider winging its way towards me from Newark for tomorrow

Has anyone any tips as to how it performs? Dyed in the wool ic man on a new venture being as I'm surrounded by trees and some slope soaring sites where I now live .Have been lacking confidence to fly since my stroke & put aside my treasured builds with engines. CRASHER Flytilbroke & SWMBO who visited us here on the farm / campsite this week recommended getting a powered glider thingy so have done so & hope I have about to get something to inspire me and give back my confidence to fly . Thanks to advice from Glider Distribution folks in Newark So helpful & they're giving me 10% off for mentioning a helpful knowledgable outlet on our forum (I hope ).

Crasher flytilbroke is on his way to Elvington -Bigger things to snap off their u/c 's wink 2

Advert

myron...fear not-your new model will be a doddle for you...i've seen loads of them and never heard a complaint......once off the ground they stay up forever......you'll be bored before you flatten a battery.....glad to see you are back on your perch etc.....

ken anderson ne..1 ....myron's perch dept...

Ken NE1

Thank you so much ! Erfolg was saying that I should have got a Radian on another thread & then within a second or two ,you tell me I've ordered the right thing .Can't wait to get it together tomorrow

Myron -Probably back on his perch dept

Edit -It was either that or the Merlin (a lot smaller and faster -watched the video) When I added up what came with the "box" & what didn't ,the Easy glider in my opinion was a really good deal ..

Will keep you posted

Myron-YO13 keeping you posted dept.

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 09/08/2012 17:03:57

I've had an Easy Glider Electric for 4 years now. It is a superb all rounder. I use it on the slope in flat calm with electric assist - or as a pure glider in anything from 5 - 25 mph winds. It's rock stable, yet with good throws on the ailerons can do reasonable rolls - although it is not really built for this.

I have recently upgraded it to a 230W brushless set up and the climb rate is simply stunning - not quite vertical - but easily in the 60 - 70 degree range. On a 1500 mAH LiPo I flew for over an hour on one flight yesterday with around 6 power on climbs of around 10 seconds each. All this only took around 1100 mAH from the pack on re-charge.

It thermals superbly - relatively tight turns can be held with ease. It obviously lacks the ultimate minimum sink performance of an AVA, for example - but is a great all rounder.

As Ken said - on my my slope's small landing area - the only trouble is getting the thing down.

It's a classic that will not disappoint.

Myron, you will love it! It flies really nice, but is a floater on landing. 'The boys out there' reckon its easy to add flaps and it makes a lot of difference to the preformance. Saw such a conversion yesterday using UHU POR as the hinge and it was very neat.

Just returned from the flying field with mine. I got one hour flight time from a 2300 3 cell LiPo with 11 minutes of motor burn in that time. It was bit tight tho' as the voltmeter read 10.78 volts on landing...........

Good luck

Pete

Thanks to you all for the encouragement.

IT'S HERE smileyWell done Glider Distribution !

Now then, it says use medium thick cyano -the only adhesive I don't have in stock -to join the rudder to the stabiliser and then to the fuselage .Can I use normal thinnish cyano (poundland)? It's Elapor by the way and they don't recommend epoxy or PVA type glues.Another thing,when cutting out the decals ,how much excess clear film do you leave on around the actual letters and do you round the corners to stop lifting?

All new to me as you gather .Help!

Myron Beginners dept

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 10/08/2012 17:26:15:

Any tips on the decals??

They look pretty naff. Best to spray trim with a couple of colours from rattle cans plus some dark patches underneath for visibility .

Mpx Easyglider Pro

Easyglider

What power do you intend using ?

Thanks PatMc

I have watched a few videos on the web & was impressed by one with orange wing tips .Orientation -no probs I thought .The power is the motor that came in the box Himax BL-0 2816-0850F -incomprehensible German specs to me .It is powered by a 3s lipo overlander 1600 mAh 25C Max output 175 Watt apparently.What do you reckon ,OK or not ?

I have loads of "rattle cans" and of course being a newbie didn't realise I could use them on elapor.I must agree--Naf .I'm not in the advertising game either.

Thanks again .Myron

Trying to get to grips with max output for so many seconds and soforth crying 2

There doesn't seem to be any tech info about the motor beyond that it's 175-235W & probably 850KV. I can only surmise that the power ratings are with either 3 & 4 cells respectively. So it's probably rated at about 16A max current.

My EG has a 3s 2200 lipo & a larger motor drawing about 27A for 295W from an 11x6.6 prop. I've fitted both balance weights in the tail & AUW is 1Kg (35oz) which is probably about 6 or 7 oz heavier than yours will be. It will climb vertically if required but a normal 30 sec climb gets it to 500 - 600ft (measured) & about 400 - 500ft upwind. I try to emulate tow-launched thermal gliders so always have the throttle either full bore or off.

I think your EG should end up at around 28oz which, if it's propped to take 175W it will have 100W/lb which should give a sparkling performance. I was flying my Reichard Classic glider today, it weighs 4.5lb with 340W of power, which is around 76W/lb. I called on the services of Kenny from NE1 hand launch dept for my first launch of the day & I think he will agree that the climb was more than adequate.

Good luck with the EG, it's a really versatile model which I'm sure you will give you bags of fun.

Hi Myron,

Just seen this thread, good luck with the EasyGlider, I often see them being flown at some of the slopes I visit, always looked like docile things to fly but with a turn of speed when needed. My lost flown model is its smaller sister, the Multiplex Merlin whitch I adore, because of its small size it pretty much never leaves my car
Good luck!
r.

PatMc

You're dead right with your figures almost .Yes it's 850 kv & max current for 15 seconds is 17A.Operating current is 10A to 14A it says .Max output 175 Watts .The lipos the shop sent & recommended are 1600 mAh.I bought two so as to fly whilst recharging the other .What charging rate should I use ? It says max 2C .Is that 3.2 amps ?.My simple Prolux does a balance charge for 2/3/4 s lipos at either500/1000/2000 mAh . The batteries on arrival are 3.8V each What do you recommend 'cos I don't want anymore smoke than comes out of an exhaust smile o

Robin

I nearly bought the Merlin but for some unknown reason ,I went for the Easy Glider .The video on the Merlin was very impressive but so were the ones on the Easy Glider.

Myron, I always charge at 1c max for every lipo I have, I would stick to 1.6A with your batteries. You'll probably get bored by the time you've used up the charge on one if you ran it all the way down. I limit mine to a max of 4 minutes of power per charge & rarely use it up before landing.

If is rated 2C then you can charge at 2000mAh no problem.

At the field I always push charging and charge at nearly max C, at home 1C .

You shouldn't charge lipo straight after use if it's warm, or use it straight after charging (if it's warm again) - I doubt it will get in Easy tho

PS. I'd change the charger you have to something more advanced asap - cheap and gives you more control over lipos

Have to agree with all the above, I've had an EasyGlider Pro almost since it first came on the market. When I finally write mine off, believe me I've tried, I will certainly get another one.

200 plus watts motor and ESC with a couple of 2000 3S LiPo gives you nearly a full afternoon's flying, super relaxing, also gives a beginner lots of thinking time.

Make sure you have some Fluo' paint on Fin and Wing Tips - very helpful at hight/long distance.