Litho plate substitute?

Daithi O Buitigh

I'm sure you could find a traditional offset litho printer who would have spare sheets, but if not, try K&S Metal Centre's aluminium sheet. It is wonderfully malleable and only slightly thicker than litho plate. Available in most toy/model shops. I have used it to make scoops, blisters and all the more difficult shapes on a 1/12th scale model of the record boat Miss Britain III, no annealing necessary.

Martin

The Airbus A380 used an aluminium/composite laminate called GLARE GLARE - Aluminium/Composite laminate

GlLARE gives a lot of the advantages of composites, with the workability of metals. It would be interesting to see what the effect of laminating aluminium foil/drink cans/lithoplate with different materials would be.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 04/06/2020 08:16:07

This is a Hawker Fury I am currently building, the fuselage top from the cowl to the rear of the cockpit is covered with Fosters lager cans the printing is still on the underside. I found it almost impossible to remove. The gun troughs were formed from baking tray aluminium which is the same thickness as the beer cans. rivets were embossed with an 0 gauge locomotive riveter.dsc_0556[277].jpg

Graham, the reason for BT specifying litho rather than thin ply or some such to make flaps from is because, due to the thin section of the flap, it is prone to warp over time due to the instability of the wood.

This then looks 'orrible when the flaps are up as their trailing edge does not meet the wing trailing edge.

Since litho is now hard to find, many people are using laminated epoxy glass sheet known as various trade names around the world such a G10, Fliteskin or ProSkin. Mick Reeves Models in the UK sells it as ProSkin and it is available in many thicknesses to suit. It is a very stable, strong material and would work well for your application, but it is sold in rather large sheets and is not cheap - nor is the postage!

pro flap.jpg

Hi Guys, A possible source for litho late are art schools. Many still use it, and throw away used sheets.

Also there is an interesting material called Flite Metal that comes from the US of A. It's easy to find on the web

ernie