Pick a plane 2008!

Advert

mmm, tricky this, but here goes: 1. Something along the lines of Hanno Pretner's Stratos delta - a plan from years ago - Radio Modeller I think. Made from a sheet of packing polystyrene and covered in brown paper - a real Eco-friendly design! I think an electric version would work very well. We used to knock these up in less than a week and stick on old .40 or .60 up front. They went like stink from the hand (vertically!) and we didn't cry when they broke. Go on - try a 'green' theme and get folks to use old bits of kit and recycled materials for some cheap and very cheerful fun! 2. Westland Lysander. Fond memories of putting the Airfix kit together. Should make a good solid plane. 3. DeHavilland Mosquito. A real Wooden Wonder!

My suggestions for future plans would be as follows:-

1) SE5A Biplane for 35 to 46 Two stroke engines.

2) A vintage style parasol scale model for 25 two stroke engines.

3) A twin engined WW 2 Scale model for two .15 or two .25 two stroke engines.

Kindest regards, Brian Fosh.

Back at the Farnborough Air Display of 1946 I remember one of the best aerobatic displays I have ever seen.  It was flown by a Jan Zurakowski, later to be famous for his Meteor cartwheels.  The aircraft was the Martin-Baker MB5 as shown here  With a long nose there should be room for one of the new contra-rotating electric motors, and the wing had a sufficiently thick section to stand up to the inwards retracting undercarriage.

Or maybe go back a little further to the MB2?  Comparable performance to the Spit and Hurri, but with a fixed undercarriage, it was the first 8-gun fighter to fly.

I suppose that the ultimate in RC scale modelling has to be the De Havilland Queen Bee, a radio controlled target aircraft based on the Tiger Moth for the navy.  Or for EDF fans a Jindivik, as here?  Damn, that's four!

Having looked through all the suggestions - and there are many I would endorse like the Lysander, I am moved to change one of my choices for an old memory awoken.

Scrap my Concord.

Change to Gloster Javellin. I had a Keil Kraft kit with a Jetex motor when Jetex were first introduced.

Lost the motor out of the terry clip at the top of a huge loop. very spectacular as the motor was still running. never saw it again. Model played with as a chuck glider from then on. ----- many many years ago.