Pick a plane 2008!

Advert

keeper2a2

I would like to propose;

1) Westland Whirlwind twin engined fighter/bomber

2)Westland Lysander

3)Dehaviland Hornet twin engined fighter/bomber

All three would make good electric powered models. but I have to admit to a soft spot for the much maligned Whirlwind.

Would "Shortfinger" contact me re:- Engine cowl for DeAgostini Spitfire.

The aircraft i'd like to see as a feature plan is a beechcraft cessna i think twin engine V tail some thing I remember from my dim and distant youth. Dual power optoins would be good.      by the way isn't a westland whirlwind a helicopter just some thing i saw earlier from Robert graham may be a new thread needed.

rcm&e says mick simms wants to contact me.

phil winks,

Hi Phil, The Westland Whirlwind was'nt made in large numbers; in fact it only equiped two squadrons.

It was deemed too slow but, was certainly as fast as the Hurricane. But what killed it off was the Air Ministry's refusal to allocate the Merlin engine to the factory. It was the first aircraft to have a bubble canopy, and the first aircraft to have all hydraulic controls.  It had four twenty m/m cannon mounted in the nose giving it a massive punch, and also carried bombs and, just before it was withdrawn from service, underwing rockets. It did'nt perform at altitude, but was a fantastic ship buster. The only known surviving aircraft is believed to be in southern Ireland.

Regards, Bob Graham.

This year we have had a beautifully designed piston engined Typhoon (plan), which in my recollection of reading RC magazines from all over the world, over a 30+ years span is a very rare event. However,I have recently been reading the the Fly Past Vulcan special edition, what lucky people you are up there, being able to see the real plane in her glory, the last time I saw fly was as I recall Farnborough 1964/5 there abouts. I do believe that we must recognise beautiful creatures from all eras, but this competition should be balance for far and recent history, and Tony, as a master of design, would be able to do justice to our recent history, and there are many recent plans and fits available for WW1 and WW11 craft, as well as civilians.

All things being fair and equal, and in the firm belief that we all suffer from to much USA abusay, I must humly ask for Tony et al, to strongly consider a screaming jet, which is of British Design (or possibly Canadian), Australia is out of the running unfortunately, other than by name.

Said design challenge should be for either a V-Bomber, of two or four EDFs, giving the first three real options as follows:-

1, The Victor,          2, The Valiant,         3, The Vulcan (my father used to hand carve them for mum)        

4, not a V-Bomber but an Aussie Icon and my absolute favourite the CANBERRA. Also rans (fighters)

5, Vampire,    6, Venom    7, Vixen

please note that all seven would also make ideal slopers, as would the Canadian heavy jet bomber which I can not remember the name of butr which had a very short life, due to the bastardising of the projects by certain clandestine groups.

I would like to see  something not often modelled - to be powered by EFlite Park 480 -

1.  Hannover c111 German biplane

2. Lutin Minor  parasol

3. Sopwith Triplane

I have Aeromodeller plans of the first two, from some years ago, but they are for 15 and 20 size glow engines

WEEELLLL lets' get some more votes for the "westland Whirlwind'  fella's, That's interesting, Bob Graham, about one surviving in ireland, as the records show the last "hack" was reduced to material, and buried at the end of an airstrip, I think it was Yeovil, altho 2 went to Fiji , Do you have any more info , now back to the "PICK a PLANE" GGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the "whirly bird" . Barry