Plan Drawing Meanings

I love looking at the plans that come free with the RCME but I'm puzzled about something.

There are symbols and shapes that are all over the plan that I know nothing about. A black triangle springs to mind.

What do they all mean?? Could the RCME put some sort of permanent legend so people could use it as a reference?? Good for thickies like meface 15

Advert

The black arrows usually indicate the extents of a fuselage doubler (often ply). Is there a specific plan you're having problems interpreting? I'll draw up a key for anyone that's interested. Also read through the build article with the plan laid out on the table, you can usually work things out.

and... Dive in, have a go at building something off plan. There is no better way to learn than to have a go. Plenty of us on here will be around to help you if you get stuck.

I thank you. I'll dig out some more recent plans along with some oldies to see if there's anything else to add. Actually the problem is deciding what to leave out, I've purposely left out detailed definitions at this stage, but they could be added. E.g. CG what it means, why its important, how to balance etc.

I've got a feeling there's at least 2 books published on the subject of building from plans

The important thing about the black triangles and the white triangles is to study carefully where they differ. Usually the white shows the fuselage sides while the black the ply doubler which probably stops aft of the wing. But check the whole outline on each plan because sometimes the ply is cut away in unexpected places. So look for differences between white & black, maybe they show a 'ledge' to locate front former, maybe they are different where the balsa may be sanded away or shaped. Also note there could be 'treblers' which are a third thickness of ply or balsa, maybe with a different grain direction.

Sometimes the plan shows one half a wing with wing sheeting, other half without sheeting. Same with fuselage plan view....one half might show view from above, other half from below or under the top structure etc. Section of ailerons are often superimposed. Formers often shown one half with outer sheets and shaped, other half just former outline

Study your plan and as many of the other plans you can find. Spend an enjoyable hour or two studying plan before starting. Ask us if you dont understand. Older plans ( non CAD ) are often clearer than modern as the clever draughtsman used his pens to emphasise important parts better. Study the great David Boddingtons plans and any RCM plans from USA for clear detail.

David Boddington did an article on this in 1970's which was also printed in RCME etc plans handbook into the 1980's. This also specified a lot more including centre line and chain dotted line. .

Posted by rActive on 28/09/2012 15:22:21:

I thank you. I'll dig out some more recent plans along with some oldies to see if there's anything else to add. Actually the problem is deciding what to leave out, I've purposely left out detailed definitions at this stage, but they could be added. E.g. CG what it means, why its important, how to balance etc.

I've got a feeling there's at least 2 books published on the subject of building from plans

Good idea, well done.

Posted by twinstar on 28/09/2012 20:04:15:

im sure there was an RCME article a while back on building from plans, what the symbols mean etc, might have been in QEFI, maybe a year or two ago, i will have a rummidge in the box. and post more info i find anything.

Yes it was definetely rcme... I'm sure it was a Peter Lowe article. Im certain it was within the last 12 months...

Edited By Craig Carr on 29/09/2012 19:09:32

You are absolutely correct mr rolls, ill update my drawing when I have a moment.

I must say it was/is quite a challenge to write the descriptions as I've been building from plans since I was 8-9 (Kiel Kraft mostly in those days) an just absorb all the information and then make my own "improvements". Difficult to step back.