Futaba FAAST: important announcement (from Ripmax website)

G

Important Notification - Futaba 6EX and TM-7

Futaba 6EX and TM-7 Important Notification

This notification affects only owners of the Futaba TM-7 module and 6EX FASST systems. Each FASST transmitter contains a unique eight digit identification code, programmed at the factory to identify the respective transmitter and to allow a receiver to be paired only to that radio's signal. Recently we have learned that a very small number of the TM-7 modules, and 6EX FASST systems were incorrectly coded with a common code number during the manufacturing process. These units were subsequently sold prior to our awareness of the situation.

If two or more units, utilizing this common identification code, were to be in use simultaneously, they may cause interference with one another. Please note: Units which utilize the correct identification code will not be affected by these units.

We're extremely confident that this is not a widespread problem, however, to give you peace of mind that your system is not affected, we will soon be setting up test points at participating model shops throughout the country where you will be able to go to determine -- within a matter of seconds -- whether or not your transmitter is affected, at no charge to you. (We anticipate that all shops will have been advised and that this testing system will be starting in participating shops very shortly, so please contact your local shop to arrange testing.)

Precautionary Measures and Information

1) As with all radio control equipment, we strongly suggest that you pre-flight your aircraft thoroughly prior to flying. When flying at a location with other FASST owners, particularly prior to all units having been checked, we suggest that prior to flying all pilots briefly activate their systems simultaneously to check for any interaction between units. If any interactions should occur, do NOT fly. Please return the unit to the Ripmax Futaba Service Centre immediately.

2) Each time that your transmitter is turned on, it is imperative that you allow the FASST system an adequate amount of time to thoroughly boot-up completely before shutting down the transmitter. The system requires at least five (5) seconds boot up time prior to turning off the power to the transmitter.

3) If the transmitter and receiver have lost their binding which required them to be re-linked, we recommend returning them to the Ripmax Futaba Service Centre for analysis. This is not expected behaviour and should be investigated accordingly.

So where are the BMFA newsflashes to the clubs ands members, The announcements from the modelling press etc.

This is an accident waiting to happen with gear chosen by display pilots with fast jets, large models etc because of its apparent safety.

If you are watching David, Please can you put a warning on your home page in big red letters. I have already contacted the BMFA and they will be sending out info next week but that could be too late.

Regards

Bill Courtney 

A little more info from the US: apparently it is thought that some transmitters left the factory with the 'unique' code left at all zeros.  But there is also concern that perhaps transmitters could occasionally reset themselves to zeros even if they were coded correctly at the factory.  One idea is that this could perhaps happen if the transmitter is turned on and then off again quickly before it has had a chance to complete its five second initialisation.

This reminds me of the Spectrum issue where allegedly receivers can lose contact if the battery voltage briefly drops.  Clearly both 2.4GHz systems are good systems but seem to have some little wrinkles to be sorted out. 

I'm sure Futaba will quickly sort out the issue, but until they have identified the exact problem and developed a solution, I believe we should all adopt a policy that only one FAAST system should fly at a time in any one location.

The Spektrum "issue" is not of comparison to this. Brief drop out due to a low battery voltage is a user generated issue, and of course could happen to ANY radio system. It is the responsibilty of the user to ensure that ALL parts of his system are adequate.

Take a look at my posting on this thread ( message 11 of 15 )HERE

I guess this is where we see the benifets of a forum like this it can reach so many more within hours. Thanks for the update Gary and David for acting so promply to geting it on the home page. maybe the BMFA should have a area on this forum to keep members abreast of any problems  

thanks  

Martyn

I am informed from several sources spread apart in the UK including major sales outlets for  Futaba gear that even towards the very end of this week Ripmax rep's were allegedly still visiting shops totally unaware of the issue and so unable to offer any information or advice, well after the "official" announcement!!!!

If true, and my (trade) sources are generally reliable, this is appallingly lax behaviour and I call on RIPMAX to immediately SACK the Manager responsible for handling and communicating this issue to the field and take IMMEDIATE action to improve their communication chain.

This isn't rocket science or at all difficult to achieve!!!!

I must admit I have a different take on it.  I feel Ripmax moved pretty fast once the situation arose.  They were told of the problem by a user, they asked for the transmitters to be sent for them for analysis, they analysed them, they made the announcement within a few days.  So to me Ripmax's actions seemed quite quick and responsible. 

"they made the announcement within a few days"

HOW????

Website announcement?  Not everyone is on the Internet you know, and anyway, how do you find it, stumble over it, rely on Forum/word of mouth??

Immediate Flag to all Reps?  Clearly NOT done.

Instructions to Shops? Clearly NOT done or totally ineffective.

Media Informed??   Look at posts above. 

Still think it's responsible action???

Our club only found out about it because a member from another club visited the BMFA classified adds page and found that someone had put a warning there as an advert. Thank goodness he did otherwise we still wouldn't know.

As you say, if we learned via this way, how many people still do not know?  I am the Chairman of our club and have still not been informed officially by the BMFA or Ripmax.

Why don't RCM&E send an e-mail to all of those registered on their mailing list and website. Surely this cannot be too difficult.

Bill Courtney

Hi David, in your update you suggest that sets purchased earlier in the year might be OK, does Ripmax have a Serial No. range of affected sets? I purchased mine back in September 2007, still as you say, testing is the only way to know for sure, I hope the model shop in Lancaster will be able to test my set for me soon.

Hi Tom, They can tell by the serial number as to when the set was sold by them to the retailer and therefore to a larger degree how old the set is. They feel that older sets are probably ok and only a newer batch are affected but testing is the only certainty. I've got one of the first 6EX's and I've used it without a problem all year but then I don't fly with anyone who also has a 6EX.

Your're not alone Tom I have a zero GUID TM-7 module one of three I bought (not good odds) which I tested last Friday against two new unbound RX's. I am wondering as this is a worldwide advisory can I return the module to the nearest distributor (Ripmax) I purchased mine in the USA when on holiday before they were available here, the response from Futaba-RC has been very poor at least Ripmax have stated when the 'testing kits' will be sent out. There seems to be a lot of discussion on the US about switching the TX on and off too quickly causing the Guid to be reset to zero, another worry.  

Well apart from this issue, the Tx & Rx have performed flawlessly. The other day I was helping my mate range check an E-flite P38 using the old tech and it jittered and gliched all over the place. You just don't get this with the new tech. I'm sure once this issue is resolved all will be good again (I hope )

Hi Chaps

Im returning to the hobby after about a 5 year break, and having discovered my old transmitters are corroded and unusable I started to research the purchase of this futaba 2.4 gig thing. Appart from the current probems I can see many advantages to the futaba set and would like to get a trouble free one. Can anyone tell me if they are very pleased with the 6EX appart from this coding problem. People that i have spoken to tell me the spectrum system is much better but im not so sure.

My guess is that the futaba set will be fine when its sorted, but its a question of when. If you have a futaba 2.4 what do yo think of it for the money??

Thanks David