First Low Wing Trainer?

Dave Foster

Hi everyone,

I am sure you must get asked this loads of times but here goes;

I have recently got back into model flying after a few years away. I re-joined my local club and, after a few 're-fresher' sessions, was deemed capable of re-gaining my solo status. I have been flying my ST Discovery (high wing) model for a couple of months now and feel ready to progress onto my first low-winger. But here is the dilema that I am sure has faced many converts from high wing to low wing, which one to go for??

Some of my club friends have suggested that my best option would be to go back into IC and to get something like a Black Horse Travel Air or Chipmunk, or perhaps a Hangar 9 Pulse. I am not against going back into IC, although I am very happy with the Discovery there are days when the wind is just a bit too strong for a foamie.

So, what would your personal recommendations for a first low winger be?? I am not looking for something to 'throw' around the sky, I am more than happy with gentle circuits and some mild aero's. What I am really after is something that is stable, predictable and forgiving a low speed (the holy grail) smiley. Does anything electric meet that critera, or would you agree that the extra mass of an IC model would be beneficial??

Thank you in advance everyone....

Dave

Hi Dave,

I too was faced with this conundrum and wanting to stay electric I finally settled on the E-flite Advance 25e, this is well priced, excellent quality and shares a lot of DNA with glow powered sport low wing trainers such as a rugged construction, simple layout, decent size and great handling.

**LINK**

**LINK**

This was a lovely little flyer that could come out to play even on days that better favoured the IC crowd, I can't recommend it enough, mine was powered with power 25 equivalent power system although with hindsight and factoring the minor cost difference I'd probably choose the power 32 High performance setup, links below if helpful.

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

That Said, in the last year or so I've grown to love IC and can recommend the Travel AIR or Speed Air highly and have to say there are times you just can't beat it for power and rugged simplicity, plus I never forget to charge my fuel!

Gaijin

Edited By Gaijin on 02/10/2012 17:52:50

Edited By Gaijin on 02/10/2012 17:54:17

Hmm, not an easy question to answer as there are so many variables.

What kind of level were you at before your break from flying?

Did you fly ic then, and if so had you progressed onto low wingers then?

Have you got to the stage with the Discovery where you can wring out the most from this model?

The extra mass of an ic model means that things tend to hapen a lot faster, and this can catch you out when moving over from a slow light electric model, even more so when moving directly to a much heavier ic low winger.

As you want something for gentle circuits, and mild aerobatics, why not stay with a high winger such as an ic wot 4, you can fly it nice and gently on lower rates, and if you find you want to get more out of it, wind up the throws and you can behave like a hooligan

Of course if you were at a much more advanced level, flying wise, I see no reason why you wouldn't cope with something like the Travel Air or the Acrowot - you never really forget how to fly, you just have to brush off the rust!

Don't forget that you can use electric power on an ic model.

I have both a BH Chipmunk and an ARTF
Acrowot that fly very nicely on 4s batteries.

My first low wing flights were with the chipmunk, but as standard the undercarriage is not robust enough for some of my beginner landings.

The Acrowot is significantly tougher.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys, Wow, what a great repsonse so far and thank you for your time.

Alan - I love the 'what's electric' quote. LOL

Gaijin - Thank you for all of your suggestions, must admit that I do like E-Flite's products so I will check out the Advance 25E.

Andy - I didn't move on from High Wingers the first time round and yes, I was into IC at that time. I hear all that you say though and I will give it due consideration.

Dean - Nice aircraft !

Phil - That looks a bit too big for me?

Gordon - Thank you

Andrew - No worries, I cna check out the site, thanks.

I'd go for a Calmato Sports. Lovely planes and really easy to fly. I got one as my first low winger and loved it. They do an electric version as standard (Calmato SP 1400).

Really lovely plane and very reasonably priced. And it's a tricycle which I would recommend over a tail-dragger (also known as a prop-breaker).... I'd take one over a Travel Air type plane anyday. I swapped from a Calmato Sports to a Super Air and miss the Calmato....