Dealing with complaints

Mowerman

How not to win friends at your flying site.

When a man from a house near our site complained about the noise of the models distracting him in his garden one joker (who will be nameless) asked 'have'nt you got an I-pod?' cheeky

The same man also complained that if he could see the models it also disturbed him and he could see electric models.

How do you deal with complaints like this ?

Advert

There will always be one who complains. The problem for your club is you need to do all you can to keep with in the rules set by the council or your land lord concerning noise. Nothing you can do about him being able to see the models.

If he takes it to the authorities it is your club that has to prove it is keeping to the rules and not the complainer to prove you are being a problem.

Not fair I know but how many people cut there grass with petrol or electric mowers/strimmers and nobody complains.

As Andy says be nice and smile to the complainer

Mike

The trouble is the council won't care that your club follows the rules and the complainer will win in the end.

Example....A practice track i used is now shut down even though they proved that all the rules applied by the council and enviroment agency were adheared to the complaint of noise on days the track wasn't even open was used by the council to enforce closure of the buissiness.

Goodness me Mowerman....Why do you have to keep bringing that one up in public?!!!..Tut!smile p...Alan..It was taken by the complainer in the right sense....The chap is not unpleasant but he is persistant. Yesterday was his fourth complaint and after each one we have restricted our flying area further (we'll be down to parkflyers soon!) to accomodate him. Two members of the commitee went to visit him to discuss the problem and whilst there, i had another member fly a model so they could see and hear for themselves...result?....couldn't hear it and could barely see it!....I think we just have one of those!...Sadly i think Del is probably right and the chap is only now being ok because he thinks we're only going to fly there until we have found a new site.

Ernie...a good idea, although he did ask himself about a trial flight but has shown no further interest.

Andrew

Andy's advice is spot on in my view. No matter how daft or unreasonable, take him seriously, talk to him and be nice.

Del has obviously had a bad experience with his council - but all my experience runs the other way. If the council see that you are being sensible and trying to be "good neigbours" my experience is they will side with you. Councils have a duty to provide access to sporting facilities - its more than likely the existance of your club is noted on some statistical return or report they make to the DoE (or whatever its called this week!). They get brownie points for provision - especially if it on their land.

So the equation is simple for them - one person complains vs. 50 local residents going about their lawful business in a friendly open and polite fashion. Its a no brainer.

But - put another way, one resident unreasonably harrassed by a group of uncaring selfish tearways who are totally anti-social and ridicule anyone who dares to suggest that they "turn it down" - and boots on the other foot.

Golden rule - never be the one who is seen to be unreasonable - that's the "other guys" role! The more reasonable and approachable you are the more unresonable he appears to any outsider, make sure you stay on the moral highground! I'd gag your mate with the sense of humour where this chap is concerned!

BEB

BEB Good advice...Thank you...We have tried very hard not to upset anyone, having lost our previous field 18mths ago and so have taken this mans complaints very seriously indeed but i suspect that whatever we do it will not be enough, other than leave. I agree entirely with you regarding the councils standpoint,although we are on private land and i wonder if it might not be better, that we speak to them first.

Andrew

Posted by Andrew767 on 08/10/2012 16:48:21:

BEB Good advice...Thank you...We have tried very hard not to upset anyone, having lost our previous field 18mths ago and so have taken this mans complaints very seriously indeed but i suspect that whatever we do it will not be enough, other than leave. I agree entirely with you regarding the councils standpoint,although we are on private land and i wonder if it might not be better, that we speak to them first.

Andrew

If the council gets involved they will look at the complaint, uphold it if it is reasonable, dismiss it if it isn't, however if the council do get involved you are likely to get a visit from a planning officer at some point if you don't have planning permission. How far away is the complainers house?

My regular club is not BMFA-affiliated, but we try to adhere to their rules regarding distance from inhabited dwellings, which I think is 400 metres. It's difficult if they're continuously building new houses ever closer to your field, but on the one occasion our local council's environmental department got involved because of an isolated noise complaint, we prevailed because we were able to show that (a) we flew the required distance away and (b) we kept a record of models' noise levels, which were all within the BMFA requirement (suggestion?) of 82dBA.

The council's officer commented to us that motor cycles and lawnmowers are more of a nuisance than our models so, in our case at least, they seem to be reasonable people, and you shouldn't be concerned if they become involved.

Incidentally, ensuring that everybody adheres to the rules is the main reason we don't allow 'guest flyers' to fly without one or more full members being present (another recent subject in this forum).

I think we should have some consideration for the complainer, often it's the only pleasure they have left. Children playing, people laughing and smiling, families out enjoying themselves, all are anethma to the serial complainer. Thank him for airing his complaint and smile fondly at him, this is usually guaranteed, to get right up his nose.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 09/10/2012 10:11:40:

My regular club is not BMFA-affiliated, but we try to adhere to their rules regarding distance from inhabited dwellings, which I think is 400 metres. It's difficult if they're continuously building new houses ever closer to your field, but on the one occasion our local council's environmental department got involved because of an isolated noise complaint, we prevailed because we were able to show that (a) we flew the required distance away and (b) we kept a record of models' noise levels, which were all within the BMFA requirement (suggestion?) of 82dBA.

The council's officer commented to us that motor cycles and lawnmowers are more of a nuisance than our models so, in our case at least, they seem to be reasonable people, and you shouldn't be concerned if they become involved.

Incidentally, ensuring that everybody adheres to the rules is the main reason we don't allow 'guest flyers' to fly without one or more full members being present (another recent subject in this forum).

They arent BMFA "rules". Its a Department of the Environment Code of Practice.

Malcolm......Thats the spirit!!teeth 2.....Alan...Thats uncanny...We have quads and off road bikes on the track next to our field, not to mention the local shooting club but i suspect he cannot do anything about them...so...we are his target......we're going to move the runway (Again!!) and see how it goes but thanks for the suggestions.

Andrew