Plan wanted - Kwik Fly Mk3 or Gangster 52

Advert

Those 2 larger plans are not original but redrawn and a bit vague, maybe inaccurate. Look at F5 & F6 and see how the 'corners' are supposed to be from 3/16 by 1/2 --no way! Maybe 1/2 triangle would do. Note also the fuselage sides and the 1/8 by 3/8 stringer is it outside the fuselage? Too vague for my taste! There are so many other plans on the Trenton site which are original and better quality which could be better. Super Kaos is one, Dirty Birdy etc etc.

The smaller plan is an original small dawing from MAP Plans Handbook I think - again rather vague. But enough info for an experienced plan builder to draw his own plan.

You should still be able to buy a fullsize plan from Model Airplane News for the Mark 3. The Mark 1 and Mark 2 are from RCM plans who are still going in USA.

Nobody ever has an online copy of a Gangster 52 plan!

Edited By kc on 13/10/2012 17:18:03

thanks everyone. my plan was (is) to build a 3/4 or 2/3 size, 40 powered version as an everyday hack and i dont mind doing some minor redesigning or modifying. the link in tinpot pilot's post is not accurate, so kc is perfectly right here. however i think i will still use this as a basis for the model i am after, use the same basic outlines, and change as i go along. maybe i,ll christen it 'spirit of tradition'.

thank you once again for the valuable assistance.

If you want a 2/3 size Kwik Fli then it has already been designed by Phil Kraft ---it's the Flea Fli at 39 inch span for a .19 to .25 glow. The original article and plan are on the Trenton site. Full size plans are available from MyHobbyStores - plan RC 897 ( note it's been re-numbered in the past year it was 987 )and also Model Airplane News. But of course the dimensioned drawings from the Kwik Fli can be scaled down to 2/3. The full Flea Fli construction details can be seen in the article and as I thought  the F5 & F6 'corners' are triangular balsa not as in the 'rip off ' plan.

Note also its Kwik Fli  and Flea Fli ( not fly )  but sometimes Quick Fli though.  MHS etc etc does not recognise 'Fly'  only Fli

A .40 would seem over the top ( weight ) for a Flea Fli sized model when a Veco .19 was used originally. A modern .25 two stroke would seem adequate.

Edited By kc on 14/10/2012 16:09:17

• 2 years later...

Having both a Gangster 63 lite and having also built a Flea Fli, I would agree, both are superb fliers. I wrote up the electric conversion for the Flea Fli on this forum, however, it shouldn't need more than a 21 to make it fly, its only 39" span - a modern 25 will happily drag a 50" span aerobat around the sky.

If I was building another IC powered Flea Fli, I would stick a period 19 in there (I have a Veco 19 lined up just in case) or a modern 15 - probably an SC.

The trick is to build it light

Martyn

I'm already there Percy! I am concentrating on trying to improve to take the 'B' test sometime soon and I cycle through the Gangster - Acrowot - WOT 4 and love 'em all. Can't choose between them, the best is the one I'm flying at the time. They are all IC and I don't see much difference between Gangster and Acro.