Durafly 'Autogyro G' PNP

Richard Harris

• 1 month later...
Advert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

I need to embarrass myself a bit here: I've just taken delivery of an Auto-G and promptly removed the blade from the holder, just out of 'blade balance curiosity'!

I noticed - afterwards - that there's an angled spacer that goes between the blade and holder. Now, instinct tells me that the thicker side of it needs to go towards the LE of the blade to give a positive pitch angle, but is there a possibility that it in fact goes the other way round, given the angle of the rotor spindle and associated AoA?

I really should look at things before I take them apart....

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Frank .

I did away with the delta 3 membrane and holder then made a triangular 4" 0.8 mm thick gf plate .

The balsa blades are 2" wide from 3/16" with 3mm a cf tube l/e , very quick and easy to build , shout if you need more details . The only part of the original head used is as shown below .

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 07/05/2013 17:20:26

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Yesterday I was out flying my Auto-G and the rotor base plate failed in flight, which was quite alarming! It was only a few flights old and hadn't been stressed by blades striking the ground. Despite spiralling into the field after losing a blade at about 100', the AG wasn't damaged.

As a result, i've lost all confidence in the stock replacement part and so I'm looking around at making an alternative. What exactly is that material you have used?

I've got some 1/16" ply and PCB material in the workshop - would you recommende either of those materials? (I'll be sticking with the stock blades). Or perhaps GF reinforced balsa?

Cheers,

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi ,

I have just bought a broken one of these for £10 , i thought for the cost it may be worth having ago at ,

The blades are broken , Motor mount also broken , no motor , or radio gear ,

But it came with two spare rota heads , so i could buy new blades and fix the rest , but what size motor should i use ?

I have also got a blue wonder motor mount with bearings so i am hoping to get a auto gyro of some sorts up this year .

I just need a little advice on getting the auto G ready then if i manage to fly that ok i can move onto building something better .

Cheers Steve ,

Thanks Frank for the replay ,

I have a few spare motors in my spares box and as the firewall is broken i will have to make a new firewall and so the stock motor might not fit .

And the listed motor does not give a wattage ,

So i guess what i am asking is what motor could i use , ie any 200 watt motor capable of using 9x6 prop ,

I will also have a go at making my own blades .

Cheers Steve .

Hi All,

I have one of these as my first Autogyro, three flights straight out of the box but then Sir Isaac won on the final flight due to me getting disorientated.

Despite a pretty high speed thump into the ground, damage is restricted to fuselage broken in two (easily stuck back together) and two rotor blades broken..... thats it -if you discounted the decals all flaking off. All in all, pretty good I thought.

Can someone point me towards any info on making replacement blades please?

thanks

stu k

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that but the l/e molding is no more. I haven't had a full on search yet but I saw on youtube someone flying an AutoG with 2inch balsa blades. They must have been weighted at the front or perhaps laminated to a bit of hardwood. Either way, I might as well get to know how to do them.

I'd like to do the Panther a/g before long

I'll lety you know if I find anything useful

stu k