VQ Hurricane

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Hooray my servos have arrived I can now carry on at last.

I noticed that the aileron servo covers are very flat and that they don't follow the wing shape so I added a little balsa sheet to each one and sanded them to the same profile.

The flat servo cover (with J I Standard screws )

I then added balsa sheet

and sanded the sheet to the same profile as the wing

cut the slot and painted it

A finished cover looks like this (with proper philips screws)

Mmmmm, doesn't look so different on my photos but in fact it makes a massive difference on the plane.

So far building my VQ Hurricane I have had no reason to complain as its all been very good. There have been a couple of tiny niggles but not worth complaining about. One of these is the fact that although the servo mounting blocks have been pre fitted and are almost the perfect size for a servo to drop right in, unfortunately they haven't taken into consideration the rubber mounts on the servo and when you add these the servo arm is thrown out of centre of the slots in the cover and they rub slightly.

So I removed the mounting blocks and re glued them with the servo, rubbers and screws all in place. perfect now and only took 5 mins.

I also noticed something a bit strange with my Futaba servo mounting screws, They dont fit through the brass top hat fixings supplied with the servos. Luckily I have boxes of spare screws and used some of those to fix the servo in position. I then used the Futaba screws to mount the covers in place of the Japanese screws.

So just some internal bits to fit into the wings and they can be glued together. then its photo shoot time. All the rest is just radio gear and that doesn't change the appearance. (unless its bad radio gear and that can change the appearance of an aircraft massively) ooooh hope not!

more soon....... UM

Well been busy at work busy with the house and managed to do about an hour each day on my Hurricane so after about a week you would imagine that a lot has been done....... NO.

I managed to join the wings and then filled the gaps where they joined and smoothed them down then got started on the flap servo

The VQ people got it slightly wrong with the flap servo position, nothing that can't be easily sorted. They positioned it exactly central of the push pull wire. Sounds great I hear some people think but when you add the servo arm the push pull wire needs to be about 1cm to the right or left.

But I tried to fit it bzzzzzzzz I re adjusted it bzzzzzzzz I turned it round bzzzzzzzz I changed the servo bzzzzzzz I picked up my hammer, mmmmm its stopped, put the hammer back bzzzzzzz. I removed the mechanism and checked all the fittings for binding and free movement. I re positioned the servo in a new location bzzzzzzzz. I removed all the linkages and tried with two micro servos, not really strong enough and even worse BZZZZZZZZ. I went back to the original central servo with a push pull and double checked all the end point settings.

I think that somehow the split flaps on one side must not quite seat correctly (even though they don't seem so bad) Anyway about 5 to 7 hours has dissappeared into what felt like 5 minutes and i'm no further on, what did I say at the beginning "it could have flown out of the box" It nearly flew yesterday on the end of my boot...bzzzzzzz oops, sorry, habit!

I'll get it sorted even if it means removing and re seating the flaps.

More photos over the weekend, weather permitting all assembled UM

To be honest I'm not quite sure what the problem was but the solution was to use two servos with a "Y" lead.

Actually I'm 99% certain that the problem was that the 90 degree horns placed in the wing were attached to plywood plates but there was a small amount of play. if you didn't make it tight then one or the other of the flaps was always slightly loose. And of course if you did make it tight... Bzzzzzzz

It didn't help that the hinges attaching the flaps were not all at quite the same level and given that there are two flaps per side that come together slightly as they lower due to being at a slight angle to eachother it was inevitable really. New hinges where needed and a servo on each side instead of a push pull 90 degree direction change.

Anyway its right now and thats all that matters to my state of mind. Up no buzzing, down, no buzzing, next......

You can see I've already painted the brown and it hides nicely. Its now ready for the green and then a few panel lines.

Heres the other side already painted

On this photo you can see the original position of the flap servo, unfortunately when the wire was attached to the two direction changers it ran exactly over the centre of the servo and didn't allow for the control arm. But thats irrelevant now anyway.

And another that shows it from a little further away, well I suppose thats obvious by actually looking at the photo, but if it wasn't obvious then perhaps your eyes aren't quite what they should be in which case trying to watch a small aircraft youve just spent a small fortune on disappear into the sky may not be the hobby for you!

• 2 months later...

Well the Hurricane has now got a run-in SC 70 and has had the necessary holes cut into the cowl to allow the needle adjustment allen key to protrude and idle adjustment should it need it.

I scowered all the internet for information about this plane when it came to COG as i thought crushing a small family saloon and cramming it in the nose cowl was a little exceassive, 500g, yes thats 500g of lead to balance this beast at 85mm from the L/E. (dont fancy that much!)

Then whilst looking for this info I read about people who had this plane and wrote it off on the first flight......Ooooooohhhh I fancy that even less. I love building 'em, and I'm not the best pilot so its looking like quite a few more flights with the Me 109 to "get my hand back in" then when the confidence level reaches normal I'll give it a bash, er actually I'll give it a flight and try not to bash it.

Heres a pic of the "shelf mates"

The Me 109 was a Kyosho but is now more like my own design as I have......

mmmm better start a new thread for that........ "UMMs 109"

I've followed you on this one with fascination. These VQ models are great value for money based on experience with the Macchi MC205 Veltro they do, which I've had two of. Bought the first one several years ago at Weston Park and fitted it with an ASP70FS bought off the Just Engines stand at the same show, when Paul Landells was there. that tells you how long ago it was, because sadly Paul passed away quite some time ago. Also bought the optional retracts, which were a fiddle to fit and have a bit of slop in them when down, but work surprisingly well even so. My son loves flying this. Although like the Hurricane it is very semi-scale, it definitely looks the part in the air and flies in a very scale manner with no vices.

Two years we crashed it after a radio problem, so bought another and transferred the engine and retracts. Like the first, the build quality is very good and it flies beautifully. Very highly recommended based on experience so far and I reckon their Fw190s (two sizes) are well worth a look, as indeed probably all of their offerings are. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with flying the Hurricane and wish you all of the best.

Top Effort there UMM. good pictures and information too.

In an Aussie magazine a few years back There was a makeover of an arf Spitfire (brand? can't remember) but it was a good job, new canopy, new cowl, scaleish working exhaust, retracts, new covering and paint. The funny part was a father bought the model for son, the son and skilled aeromodeller friend decided on makeover, father nearly had coronary when seeing model stripped back.

Colin I'm not sure when I am going to fly this thing as I have to save up to buy the lead needed to balance it, (ha ha,) but when it goes up I'll be posting the result on here however it comes down.

Ace The paint work is all fuel proof paint and was just painted over the original. When it starts to wear off as it does in places you can see the original covering beneath which just adds to the battered appearance of a warbird, well in my opinion anyway. Oh and just in case anyone is wondering the retracts are electric and have a built in safety so if they get stuck in any position, ie a wheel binding in the well, the power just cuts to the retract in question until you flick the switch again. No more messing with fiddly retract servos and very scale up/down movement.

BBC I get a bit like that after I strip all the necessary covering of something that has nothing wrong with it, but once I am finished its well worth it. I have just finished my first wing on my VQ Mustang. I am changing it from a full length strip aileron to a scale size aileron and working flaps. I will be photographing the second wing as I go along. First wing looks well even though I say so myself.

• 4 years later...

Thank you Dennis, I just tried to log in and change the titles for both me110 and Hawker hurricane but you know how eBay works (or doesn't) you can't change anything unless your a hacker! ...... Simply press 'contact us' to be given a list of options that don't relate to your problem and then simply go through the options to the next. One until you have forgotten what you were doing and re start...... Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh the original site back in the 90s and early 2000s was so much easier when it was for individual sellers before it became 'buy it now bay' for businesses!