Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Bad luck John,

Evolution info is here

I fly my Stampe on third to half throttle....so the 26 should be ok. I will have a look through my pictures to find one of the exhaust. I chose the 33 as it was the weight I needed to get the balance correct and the fuel mix is the same as my Zenoah.

Below is how much the exhaust sticks out, not very much and could be painted the same as the cowl...It sticks out at the front about 1cm.

mount (4).jpg

Edited By cymaz on 24/05/2014 20:23:43

Advert

Hi John H, sorry to hear of your Perry pump woes but I did try to warn you against one. They are awful things and am surprised that they are still available after 45 years or so.

My post on 17/5 needs correcting because I have had to move the firewall so far back to accommodate the 155 that the supplied 14oz tank no longer fits. It would also have been way too high for an inverted motor, so I am proposing to try a SLEC 9oz in the original position and a similar 6oz mounted underneath, the two being connected in series. If this does not work due to a rapid change in fuel head I could get a slim tank in behind the carb. even if I have to make a tinplate one, but the motor is so frugal that I doubt that the 6oz would ever be called upon.

Got loads of goodies from MRM yesterday, including wheels, pinked tape, miles of Solartex and a couple of dashboards. Tiggy ones are OK for my requirements. Have assembled one and it looks great but that compass got me scratching the grey matter for a while.

Martin Mc.

Thanks Martin, nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose, the perry pump certainly pumped you just can't control it, it pumps too much fuel, or too little, also after using petrol for the past few years I forgot just how messy glow fuel is.

It's back to petrol for me.

if you have some pictures cymaz that wold be very useful

Will take some more pictures for you John, have a look in my albums under Precedent Stampe. See if anything in there is of interest.

The Perry pump should have a small screw on the back that you can turn in and out to control the flow of fuel. The instructions say that under no circumstances remove it or you will loose the spring. Did your pump have one John??

Edited By cymaz on 25/05/2014 07:58:41

The picturs are very useful thanks.

The exhaust looks very good.

the perry pump did have a screw to adjust it but could not get it to run right, it always seamed to be running way too rich. Any way I have converted the SAITO back to petrol agin to give it one last try, with new bearings and a new cam gear it might be better now. If this sitll does not work I will be ordering the Evolution 26GX.

John, good luck with the Saito but petrol motors do seem to run hotter then glow. Before you burn your boats on the 26, for very little extra you could get a Laser 155 or 150 which fit in the cowl and sound much better. A club mate bought a 10cc Evo which quit on take off and resulted in lots of damage. It was fine on a ground run. These petrol motors really are overpriced for what you get.

I once had a couple of Perry pumps which were part of a job lot and fitted in the back plates of Webra 60`s. Even though the Dynamix carbs were the best you could get I soon gave up with them. You require a needle valve which will shut right down to almost nothing then fiddle with the idle screw.

Page 34 of this thread is a very short video of my Stampe running the 33gx.

The 33gx is £100 cheaper than the laser 155. Yes, I do own a laser ( in my other Stampe teeth 2 . And I love it to bits too.

Edited By cymaz on 25/05/2014 15:45:40

Those Stampes all you guys look a real picture and credit to you. This thread Cymaz has been very helpful.

I am just over 1/2 way thru my build, I hope I don't get the same problems of overheating as some of you have had, I am using a DLE 35r as the power source, I am going to duct the air flow and use louvers to create a Venturi effect to help draw and evacuate the warmed air.

my color scheme is very boring compared to you chaps artistry. My Stampe is based on the one at Duxford, mostly because we live not to far away and visit frequently. It's just a plain old blue. Would love to visit green acres and see your planes one day, and maybe fly up there with you all and my Stampe.

cheers pilots.....blue sky's

tony

Tried out the new exhaust today. Worked a treat. See it up close at Greenacres - weather Gods permitting.

The exhaust was eventually made from box section aluminium and aluminium tubing, copper being far too heavy, even by my standards. I had a speciality welder do the welding. It cost me £80 but it was worth it.

Hi all here's an update on the Evolution 26GX instillation. I have modified the exhaust so that it will fit inside the cowl, this involved cutting the front side off to make it slimmer at the front and then brazing a new piece of aluminum sheet on, it now fits in perfectly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited By John Hill 6 on 07/06/2014 14:05:28

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cymaz, I had my first flight at the weekend and she is very tail heavy even though I had it balanced on the position on the plan.

Am I right in thinking you have yours now balanced 25mm in front of this position, on page 32 of this thread you mention this?

Anyway she is down safely, I just need to get the CofG right now.

Evolution 26GX had loads of power for it.

Edited By John Hill 6 on 17/06/2014 11:11:24