Building boards

Advert

Balsa building boards are quite expensive! Much cheaper is ordinary Plasterboard from B & Q etc which makes an excellent building board that takes pins well. Having some smaller boards as extras for tailplanes etc is worhtwhile .

Plasterboard is awesome! The best building surface I have tried; and I have tried a few! Very stable, very flat and takes pins far better than you might think if you havn't tried it.

I am now a convert and can't imagine ever needing to change. I sit it on a work bench made from kitchen work top extracted [with permision] from a skip!

I also tend to cover my work area with cardboard, It leads to a quick clean up mopping up all the glue that I spill. I'm also increasingly cutting on cardboard rather than a cutting mat. I'm inclined to think that cutting mats blunt scalpel blades much faster than a bit of card!

Edited By GrahamC on 04/11/2012 21:40:39

J Perkins list Sundeala in their catalogue. But why buy a board when house builders throw away offcuts of plasterboard big enough for our purposes?

I use clips & screws to secure wing spars to plasterboard. They are glued up in a length, drilled and then sawn apart. My photo shows them.....

I use the table tops made of pine you buy in IKEA.

they come in different lengths, and you can buy the legs seperatly if you want to use them as a bench.

They are relatively cheap and the surface is flat and hard, but soft enough for pins to be pushed in.

When they get too tatty just replace with another.

Darryl