Denight Special

Advert

• 2 months later...

In the article Pete has said he knows little about the aircraft.

The following may help some Builders, get a little further with research

• It was modelled as a "Sterling kit"
  • 1948 = 1pClwM; 75hp Continental C-75; span: 18'10" length: 16'10" (>17'11"). Nick d'Apuzzo; ff: 7/15/48. Midget racer [N9700] (p: Bart de Knight); reregistered [N9059H] to become 85hp DDT (acronym for de Knight, d'Apuzzo, and mechanic George Townson) at the 1949 Nationals (p: de Knight), and Miss Dallas in the 1960s (p: Roy Berry).
  • http://www.aerofiles.com/deknight.jpg the link has a picture of the original.
  • Reviewed in the Eaa Sport Aviation March 1956. Have not been able to find a copy on the internet
  • Looks that it was renamed Miss Dallas, and flown by Roy Berry and flown in the National air races in 1949.

Erfolg

I have just bougth a copy of Kinert's Racing Planes and Air Races The complete History Vol 1

Call the DDT Placed 17th in Goodyear trials in 1949. Was still raced in 1967 as Miss Dallas. There is also a picture of it taken at the 65 races in a new and fancy colour scheme but colours not given, It was now called Miss Dallas The U/C has been moved back to under the wing. Looks a bit sleeker there as well. So that agrres with what you say Erfolg.

While on the subject of racers. The Cosmic Wind Miss Cosmic Wind was a stretched version with a mid wing. The photos that I have in this book seem to show a square cross section to the fusleage behind the cockpit. Can't see any more than thata. Anyone know if this is right.

Pete

Your selection of models has been spot on for me, so far. I am really impressed with your take on 334G in addition to the Denight Special. I have intentions of building both, as electrics of course.

Have you considered something like the Art Chester "Goon" etc. Most of the 30s racers are of simple construction (other than Gee Bees, Meteors, Jeeps etc.), being built in the back yard (so to speak). Many do seem to have rectangular wing plans, sometimes with rounded tips (Ike etc). It would seem that these guys new that low angles of attack, that fancy wing shapes gave little improvement in drag reduction (similar to many modern fighters), other than when pulling around the pylons. I very much get the impression that these were pragmatic builders, who understood what really  mattered  for the duty envisaged.

I look foreword to your next publication, as it seems to reduce my effort in designing my own.

Erfolg

Eerfolg.

Thanks for your comments, I am glad that you like my choices. Werewolf would be very good for electric as it has a lot of wing area and is very light.

I fitted an airspeed indicator and was getting straight and level speeds of around 64 mph. Minimum speed was about 24.

You should be able to lighten the Denight  a bit as well. I used thicker than designed fuselage sides and doublers becuase I was out of 3/32 sheet and 1/32" ply as shown on the plan.

Goon would need to have the wings streched a lot but would amke a ncie subject, but then there are so many.

It is interesting that these days they are fitting much longer tapered wings. some are using reflex sections, Nemesis for one, one of the Owl Races for another, now called Alley Cat unless I am getting mixed up. I have been looking at literally dozens of three views and pictures over the last few days.

At the moment I am browsing round for another racer, Another magazine is begging for one. I am thinking of a stretched Owl racer, possibly Fang or Lil Quickie.

Also looking at another aerobatic design on the same theme as the CAP 21 for RCM&E for the near future. I have the plans for a scale high wing cabin model awaiting the parts to be cut out by Green Air designs.

RCM&E has my .15 powered Cassutt awaiting publication. IT was a hairly little beast but has been tamed now. A slight building error! I chose Miss Demeanor but of course there are hundreds of Cassutts to choose from, some with tapered wings.

You may not have seen my "Little Bandit" based on the Frenzel El Bandito in AMI January issue. Another nice model if I do say so myself.

This plane is next on my building board just found a .25 at the back of the draw , brushed off 12 years of balsa dust looks ok i only ran the motor in one training plane then took it out and put in a old cooking .40 so it's in good nick, and I always oil my engines after use.

nice b/w photo I wonder what the colour was in 1965 ? It must have been a light colour silver maybe. It will be some time before I get to it so hope to see other modelers planes on the thread and their colours

regards to all 

Peter 

Cpt Biggles

If you are refering to the link i posted, I am pretty sure that is an early photo. The people in the back ground look as it is the 50s, also the rounded contours of the partially visible car in the back ground is more in keeping with the 50s. Always think of the jet fighter look of cars in the 60s, sharp edged, big finned.

With regard to colour, although many of the pics give the impression of either black or white type colouring, many of these small home builts were quite colourful. Obviously the Bee Gee, the Laird super solution's are very colourful (Fantasy of Flight). As are many you can see at the EAA Museum.

I guess that is because, most are fabric covered, being either timber, ply or tube frames with formers attached. So I guess rather than just alluminium doped finish, they go for colour, even if it is brilliant white with flashings. Yes thare were and are aluminium planes, the Howard racer, Milliar racers etc.

I guess they also want to be seen, in close proximity racing. As it isnt the kings Cup etc, where it is all done with stop watches and staggered take offs. In mass starts it must be a little hairy, if spectacular.

What would our H&S people make of it?

A not to sure

Erfolg   

In the book I mentioned in my previous post I have a picture of the Denight at the 1949 trials. This picture shows the undercarraige in front of the wing leading edge and the logo of a witch on a broomstickc on the apple cheeks.  It was definitely called The Denight DDT then

The style of racing number is different and I have to say different from my own model. I know that the colour was yellow then

Talking of colours, the type of film makes colours respond in different shapes. Ortho works one way and panchromatic another. I forget what they actually do but you some times see roundels whichg lookas though they are reversed on old photos.

Kinert says "Denight DDTV Special Former No 0 (?, never seen that anywhere)  Showed up at Reno 1965 all slicked up in new paint an wearing Number 97 (Picture from 49 shows 97) and was renamed Miss Dallas.

• 1 month later...

From the minute I saw the photo at the top I knew I had to build one of these. Being involved in Aeromodelling for a couple of years now flying ARTF's, this is my first (of many too come!) scratchbuild and I have enjoyed the process immensely. Powered by an OS LA40 I had spare and covered in Profilm. Very smooth flier and looks simply delightful in the sky, an absolute cracker! Sharper eyes may notice an additional 10mm or so in the wing chord due to the wrong trailing edge stock being purchased and discovery being after removal from the board but nonetheless...

Yes, ARTF has its merits in a 'bums on seats' capacity but this has been an awakening.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/31083/De_Knight_Special_001-1.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/31083/De_Knight_Special_002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Cheeks and spats from Micro mold. Phone 01268 764985.

Canopy is 11" with no framing from Vortex Vacform. Phone 0116 220 7080 after 6 pm.

Undercarriage from Nexus, large dural. phone 01233713665.

Lettering n=from Nick Atteridge. Email for price etc. to [email protected].

I gather that someone gave you the plan without the magazine because all this is in the box on the last page of the article.

• 4 months later...

Hi ,is anyone contributing to this thread still as i have just started to build this model as my first scratch built model in a long long time . Just wondered if anyone has any experiences or pitfalls they could pass on . I have a MDS 38 engine with a 6oz fuel tank with standard servos but i was toying with the idea of fitting separate aileron servos in the wings but not sure what size / torque rating would be required.

Any info or help would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Graham