Oodalally

Peter Miller

I am glad that you liked it. I recently bought(!!!!???) the Sarik kit and converted it to  electric.  Hopefully that will be in RCM&E.

The weather is diabolical. I have a glider kit(!!!) ready to test fly.  If only the rain  would lay off for a few days they could harvest the field right in front of my house and I could step out side in the early morning and test fly it.

Picture shot from my bedroom window at about 10pm. last yearHarvesting.jpeg.1bf21cd68dbbc50aece346098172d9ab.jpeg

The weather in Essex is forecast to be dry with only 5 or 6 MPH winds tomorrow and Thursday.  Much the same for Suffolk too --- so a good flying chance for those who can fly midweek...........

I must charge some batteries up today......

• 1 month later...

Peter, did you use a 3s or 4s lipo with the 3541-1070 4Max motor and what prop size did you settle on ?

I am a very slow builder (getting the time to do it rather than actually building slowly) I have Oodalally  on the building board at the moment and have cut all the parts myself from your original plan from RCME. I have always intended to go electric for this model and am grateful for the electric update and confirmation that the 3541/1070 motor provides good performance, as in previous pages of this thread some of the builders have used a wide variety of motors, some of them being very powerful and possibly an overkill. 

I will try to post some pics of my build but cant guarantee I will find the time.

Dave 

9 hours ago, LHR Dave said:

Cheers Peter , it will be a while until I fly her  but I do enjoy the building, even if it takes me a lot longer than most people. 😀

I like builders!!!  As regards to taking longer I would also give you my favourite quotation from the late great Bill Winter's Purple Plan: "So long as you glue one piece of wood to your model every day it will get finished"

I build fast because I have been doing it for a very, very long time and I certainly do not achieve the degree of perfection that others do.  At least my models fly well...usually!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I finally got my Oodalally finished and ready for the maiden flight on the balmy October heatwave over the weekend. One of my club mates did the honours and commented that it flies like its on rails. I've since had several successful flights and have to say that it flies beautifully and is the perfect follow on from my trainer that I had very much outgrown.

I went electric with the recommended set up from George at 4-Max and have no complaints at all with the performance.

I'm looking forward to getting this out again and doing some formation flying with another club mate who owns Peter's original Ballerina.

Thanks,

Neil

PetrogliOodalally.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter

I have a question about the wing trailing edge spar. Apologies if this question has already been raised else where in this thread. 

The plan states that the rear spar is made from 1/4 sheet and not 1/4 square is this correct?. Also the plan shows that the rear spar is chamfered both top and bottom but this can't be achieved on the bottom edge as it needs to be glued directly onto the trailing edge cap strip.

I hope this makes sense. 

Dave20231011_101310.thumb.jpg.a3358057215f0f9787f844ea1ab2de10.jpg

The trailing edge spar will be fractionally larger than 1/4 Sq due to the taper of the TE. But in fact 1/4Sq could be used.  I know that because I just built the SARIK version of the parts.  In fact up until then they had not included the 1/4 sq TE. I have now advised them of that fact.

To be honest when I built that Sarik kit I didn't realise the discrepancy that the original instructions said that and I just used 1/4 square and never noticed any problem...This may say something about my building🤔

Actually that drawing shows that the bottom is square or at 90 degrees to the vertical sides.

If you happen to have some 1/4 sheet you can strip off some slightly wider sections and shape to match the ribs as shown.

Alternatively you can  either add a strip of 1/16 to the top of 1/4 sq. but that is being fiddly.

The final solution would be to use 1/4" square and a bit of sanding and fractional thinning of the aileron.

I hope this helps.

While I was in the moment, here are the pics of my fuselage frames.  I have made them from 1/8 lite ply and have made them lighter whilst keeping good strength. I believe they will be stronger than just using balsa and although I have not been able to weigh them the weight difference should be minimal. 20231012_103922.thumb.jpg.e1616cf9dd314ffc30214ef8fb9cbc93.jpg20231012_103914.thumb.jpg.dd1e5d99ddf019ee2c0eaa5ecb6e9272.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, LHR Dave said:

I was thinking of doing similar to the tail h stab and v stab but still using 1/4 balsa to elevate some tail weight.

Thoughts ?

Be careful Dave, liteply is not particularly strong. Being a plywood, a percentage of the grain is always 'the wrong way'. Given the likely weight saving, I think I'd either stick to the plan method, or do a full build up. Last thing you want is a tailplane folding!

Graham

The liteply formers look like a lot more work than balsa!    The biggest 2 appear to have  'short grain' just where one might grab the fuselage and squeeze it when handling.   Maybe the  grain on those would be better 90 degrees other way round?   ( I  mean the grain in the ply outer layer )   As they have been made both  the formers and balsa sides have the grain the same way, instead of opposite as on the plan.  ( fuselage sides grain fore and aft while formers have grain vertical on most plans )  Nothing to resist fingers squeezing fusealge sides inwards!

Sorry to be critical of your nice workmanship  but it's better to say now than when it's too late & built right into the plane!

I also wonder whether they will allow 'snakes' to be supported or sufficient clearance for pushrods if those are prefered........

All points of view welcome as many eyes are better than just mine . I still have the original frames that I have made from balsa.  The good thing is that as I don't get much time to build I tend to gather bits I have made along the way without commiting to glue. I will reevaluate as I go but think you could be right. I enjoy building and probably think I was being too clever making the frames as I did.  

Anyway I am still building up the wing so will be a fare while until I get onto the fuse.

There are a lot of sayings which I always follow

"KISS"  = Keep it simple, stupid.

Simplicate and add lightness.

What isn't there can't go wrong.

But people like to try different ideas and sometimes they come up with things that no one has ever thought of. A classic example.

How many people shape trailing edges from a strip of balsa cut from the sheet?

Many years ago I edited the gadget pages in AMI.  A chap sent in the idea of shaping the T.E. and then cutting it off the sheet.

Obvious isn't it!!! And yet  four members of the club who had been modelling since the 50 and one who was modelling before the war had never thought of doing it that way. We had all cut the strip and then wrestled with shaping it.

I wonder how many others had never thought of doing that way.

That chap won the prize that month!!

• Like 1

I'd agree with kc, the formers look too weak to me. And cutting holes in things is generally (a) a lot of work, and (b) not worth it.

Formers can be made from four short strips of balsa, two upright, two across - you get the grain going in the right directions that way. Plus they can be knocked up from scraps.

The shaped top deck formers I'd just cut from sheet wood.

Keep it simple, is a good mantra. Don't gold plate it!