Oodalally

Peter Miller

• 4 months later...
Advert

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OOoooooooooh. I like that big model. These are so much fun I bet the larger one is even more fun to fly. I had mine out yesterday and had such a great time. I'm still geeking out today. I've finally gotten comfortable with it. I've only had a hand full of flights but now it will most likely come to the field with me. Truely feel everyone should build one of these.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, no disrespect taken but to explain I've been modelling for over 50 years (oh dear!) and the surfaces and C of G are on the button per the plan. I have noticed particularly that if the engine cuts in flight the tip stalling is particularly violent if the nose is not kept well and truly down. We have a limited strip as to length and width so we have to come in accurately and not at excessive speed if we are not to overshoot. If we had a large mown field the speed wouldn't matter too much. The glide is not good.

Ditto on the 50 years Don, you would think that we had learned by now ! I am a small model man and they can play up on us. Lateral balance too is a consideration, but your strip, being an aircraft carrier, perhaps puts the pressure on too. These model types, I do fly in on to the wheels, then cut the motor, I dont even try a glide, but I do practice at height to detect a low speed wing over.

C of G may be on the plan button, but it does sound like your build is "leaning back" a little. Weight is our enemy, and adds speed as you know, but I dont recommend we mess with wing incidence packing at this stage as you sound an accurate builder.

Add weight, just to try, way forward, up nose as far as you can get it, while watching the balance point is nearby

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/08/2016 09:11:27

Is the overall weight much more than the 4lb 3.5 oz that Peter's model weighed according to the article?

Check for any twists in wing or tailplane & elevator. Check for excessive aileron or elevator movement. Check rate switches are set correctly. Check wing to tailplane alignment, particularly check wing bolts and dowels are holding wing firmly. Double check CG is as per plan and measured at the correct place ( it's a double tapered wing on this design isn't it so possibilty is it was measured at wrong place )

Check Tx for any unexpected coupling or exponential that you didn't set - especially if you let someone else play with the Tx ( particulary check expo is the right way for your make Tx - Futaba is opposite to Spektrum )

If you eliminate all the possible problems with the plane then consider whether it is possible that your thumb is actually giving a steady movement as you expected or perhaps jerking a little ( especially on Mode 2 ) Can happen!

Edited By kc on 10/08/2016 10:14:43

I am completely baffled.

Does it tip stall in one direction or either direction. I am assuming that you built the wings according to my sequence in the building instruction in which case it is impossible for a warp to creep in.

The weight would be interesting to know. The CG is measured from the leading adge up against the fuselage side so that should impossible to get wrong. It is at 25% chord whch is extremely safe for any model.

Incidences are all at 0-0.

What engine are you using?

Many thanks all for your comments and suggestions. It tip stalled from newly built - rocking violently left and right if the airspeed was insufficient. I am also baffled and had concluded it was just a fast model that wont fly slowly.

My Tx settings, wingbolts and thumb are OK I think. The engine is an ASP32 2 stroke.

After 3 crash repairs and now the fourth yet to be done the model will be heavier than when newly built and also the wing has been repaired twice. I will post an update when I have repaired it again and rechecked against all the suggestions.